Author Topic: Star Wars 6 inch Challenge  (Read 47360 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Star Wars 6 inch Challenge
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
awesome job Ron.  Fantastic work with the whole thing.  Your diorama pieces never cease to inspire.  I've never been a fan of taking the action figure and making a static piece out of them, as I want to be able to "play" with my toys, IE: pose them and move them.  But I have thought about doing small dios like this as set pieces which my figures can be posed into for display...  and every time I see one of your pieces I want to revisit that idea.

Anyway, I picked up parts for my project yesterday.  I went to target, 2 walgreens, walmart and TRU.... I had no real project in mind and was looking for inspiration as I went...   I found a tie pilot at walgreens but didn't want to use it for this project....  I almost bought a han to do something with, even sat on my phone at TRU for a while trying to research ideas to do with it (ESB han?  ROTJ endor han?... boring!)... then in a stroke of last second looking I found a clone trooper.  I grabbed it with a brilliant thought...  to re-visit a past project that I never fully completed........  I will leave you with that for now, but I will say, that this figure will be meant for a vehicle I have already created ;)

Thanks heaps buddy and I for one can't wait to see what you do for a static dio and good pick up on the clone and I look forward to seeing yours and the other members entries.

Ron

Offline TSHobbies

• Lieutenant
  • Impressive!
    • TS Hobbies
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
I think I'll join in on this..might as well since Im just starting the figure anyway...never been in one of these contests..do I need to post progress pics here? or just in my thread?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:05 AM »
I think I'll join in on this..might as well since Im just starting the figure anyway...never been in one of these contests..do I need to post progress pics here? or just in my thread?

This is the place to post your images of your project. Just make sure you mark you final entry submission.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
Alright, I started some preliminary work on my figure today and thought I'd share progress pictures along the way (if yall don't mind them being posted in the thread?).  For me, the beauty in customizing is the process, not the end result... so I encourage everyone to take WIP pictures showing how things come together! (This is also good practice for anyone who wants to reflect on the process and improve any mistakes they make along the way.)

Here is the preliminary idea:

I've had this scratch built AT-RT being displayed with my custom 6" kashyyyk trooper, but he isn't the correct driver uniform... so let's remedy that!  I'm using the clone trooper figure with the green deco stripes as my base figure.  Problem of course is the helmet is all wrong!

So let's trim down the helmet:

Work up a visor:

and then start sculpting the new helmet.  This is just a preliminary layer to get the right shape going.  I'll be adding more details later.  I'm trying to go slower on this sculpting work doing a little at a time.  My sculpy is rather old though, so I'm hoping it hardens correctly... else I'll have to wait a week or so and order some new aves.

anyway, here's the helmet so far:

You master sculpters on here, have any pointers to help me out with this?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 04:22:25 AM »
Nice work Devin. And yes post as many wips as you would like. Just don't forget to tag your last post as final entry. I am gonna use your update for the front page reminder.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 04:44:11 AM »
Devin the helmet is coming along great and I look forward to seeing more.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 05:50:14 AM »
Sweet driver, Devin!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
For me, the beauty in customizing is the process, not the end result... so I encourage everyone to take WIP pictures showing how things come together! (This is also good practice for anyone who wants to reflect on the process

I definitely appreciate the WIPs as much as the end results.   Keep'm'comin.
Cant help much with sculpting pointers, I'm afraid.   I can tell when I'm doing something right,  but 99% of the time I feel like I may as well be whacking my material with a hammer.
I've seen what you can do.  Keep working it.  You'll see your form eventually.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
For me, the beauty in customizing is the process, not the end result... so I encourage everyone to take WIP pictures showing how things come together! (This is also good practice for anyone who wants to reflect on the process

I definitely appreciate the WIPs as much as the end results.   Keep'm'comin.
Cant help much with sculpting pointers, I'm afraid.   I can tell when I'm doing something right,  but 99% of the time I feel like I may as well be whacking my material with a hammer.
I've seen what you can do.  Keep working it.  You'll see your form eventually.

I know the feeling!  I like to think that I have an elegant skill with the exacto knife...but sometimes I feel like I might as well be using a meat cleaver. haha.  I really hacked up the top of the helmet cutting off the fin.... so I'm going to have to smooth that out with some sculpy too.  I'm going to put a little work into it tonight.  I have a 3 day weekend coming from school/work but I'm already planning on spending saturday grading papers! haha, gotta do the customs a little at a time right now (still not full blown back in the groove either, but this contest helps.). 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »
That It does, buddy.
Would you believe I'm inspired?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
That It does, buddy.
Would you believe I'm inspired?

Go for it.  I was actually just thinking of your helmet mash up work last night as I worked on this custom.  I thought, "I bet clonehead could have just cast up the necessary parts from different 6inch troopers we've got so far and thrown together an awesome helmet bash-up." 

I've been wanting to get back into the casting, but don't have the money right now to spend on supplies...  Maybe next month (then maybe I'll do some casting of these 6inch helmets and do some experimenting with them).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 05:40:34 AM »
I keep waiting for Clint to go all Clonehead on us with the six inch series!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 06:03:27 AM »
Got heads and helmets already casting, just haven't shown em yet.
I do want to do some mash ups with those devin but have a couple of conventional conversions to make for the helmeted heads first.
One is supposed to be for this shindig.
When I first seen you working on that cowl for your driver head I thought "crap, he's  doing the same thing"

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »
Got heads and helmets already casting, just haven't shown em yet.
I do want to do some mash ups with those devin but have a couple of conventional conversions to make for the helmeted heads first.
One is supposed to be for this shindig.
When I first seen you working on that cowl for your driver head I thought "crap, he's  doing the same thing"

I'm sure you can do it better.  Can't wait to see what you cook up.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »
progress

I decided to try something different with this sculpting.  I sculpted the main details larger than needed, and then once hardened I attempted to carve out the final shape with the exacto knife.  Making the final result a subtractive sculpt rather than additive.  I'm not sure how it will appear once painted, but the surface isn't nearly as smooth as I was hoping for.  I'm hopeful that the paint will smooth out some of the imperfections.