Author Topic: Star Wars 6 inch Challenge  (Read 47506 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Star Wars 6 inch Challenge
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 06:25:51 AM »
fabbing up the spotlight, the nub on one side, and the antennae on the other should be more of an easy set of tasks. I will try to get em done today.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
Looks damn good clonehead.

I can't wait to see what else you get done.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
Thanks buddy.
Before adding the other greeblies, I had to refine the top surface of the cowl. I cut a little silicon rubber blockout and mounted it with a dab of superglue in the center for the notch
Then I spackled some liquid resin on top and shaped it to better represent the curve at the top of the cowl.
After it set up, I removed the rubber blockout and shaped it to my liking with knife and sanding stick.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:44:49 PM by Clonehead »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
Wow, that vizor looks spot on Clint. I can see you selling tons of that vizor part alone! I hope it fits the Phase II buckets we get down the road too!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »
I must say i am prob. one of the only few that has not gotten into the 6inch line for a few reasons , price is def a factor , but for space reasons and still uncertain if i want to get into another like of figures besides 3 3/4 . I have seen some great conversions of 6 inch figures of characters yet to be made  and its no different here  ! That is A really good At-Rt  figure  ! Great work everyone !

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »
Devin, great job on that AT-RT Driver! Everything looks spot on and he looks amazing sitting on your scratch built vehicle!

Clint, I am so glad you are doing a helmet mod! I am most impressed with your liquid resin sculpting techniques. A sliver of silicone and pour on some resin, I swear you will do anything not to sculpt in a traditional method! This is either the mark of a genius or a mad man! Not sure which one... at any rate I am keeping an eye out for your finished helmet. I know it is going to rock!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi All,

Tshobbies - your Shaak Ti is coming along beautifully and the hip work is perfect

spudafett - Devin your AT-RT driver is awesome top notch work mate.

Clonehead - Clint your helmet conversion is so far is awesome and your casts as always are brilliant and if and when you decide to sell the 6" helmets I'l be in line foe a few tie ones.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »
Ron, one of the problems is how thick these 6 inch scale helmets are.
It will keep me from being able to offer the cheaper rate for shipping overseas as that rate requires an envelope that is no thicker than 3/4 of an inch. They let me cheat sometimes. We will have to see.

This head is heading for a mold bath as will be the next cannon modded head, if I can pull that one off.

Thank you so much for your praise.
Spry, that was the best laugh I have had all day. Once again, I work with the stuff so much, it just feels more comfortable to me to try and sculpt with it. I know how it reacts to things and such.
Got the one side done
Used part of a 1/25th scale shock tower from the model car spares box for codys Spotlight. Debating about casting that as a separate piece with a peg on it. Used the head of a trusty stick pin for the ear nub Cody has on that side. Got the antenna to do and it's a go.
My side shields look low compared to the sideshow Cody which look low compared to the clone wars Cody. I kinda like them low like that.
You inspired me, Devin. That Atrt driver just started out too cool. You could tell which way it was heading.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »
lookin good clint. I know how it feels to have it looking really nice, then sit it next to your reference and go... crap, that's not right.   Your observation on the length of the sides is right, your version is a little longer.  I think it looks fine in profile, but the head-on view they do look a tad long...  not sure I'd mess with it though at this point.   That's exactly what I had happen with the at-rt driver's helmet.  After I got the sculpting done I looked at it head on and realized the bottom "jawline" was way too wide and the "eyes" too small and too far apart.   But, when you don't have the reference to look at side by side it's not as noticible.  I feel like yours is the same way, take away the reference material and you won't notice the issue.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2015, 06:49:17 AM »
Well I think both of your projects look spot on (Devin and Clint). You guys are your worst critics I think. Off to share Clint's update on the front page. Too bad we weren't a factory and could go into production of these figures after the contest was over. Can you imagine the stir we would cause?

Offline TSHobbies

• Lieutenant
  • Impressive!
    • TS Hobbies
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »
Thankyou Hemble!

Clonehead..thats some super work! you nailed it. from your poist about shipping..does that mean you offer these in resin? If so, Id love one!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »
Well I think both of your projects look spot on (Devin and Clint). You guys are your worst critics I think. Off to share Clint's update on the front page. Too bad we weren't a factory and could go into production of these figures after the contest was over. Can you imagine the stir we would cause?

After this month's paycheck goes in I am seriously considering going and getting some new casting/molding supplies and starting to experiment with the 6 inch line...  Clint is inspiring me and I'm getting the urge to dive full on back into this hobby.

Offline TSHobbies

• Lieutenant
  • Impressive!
    • TS Hobbies
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
yeah, Ive been wanting to get back into casting..I have all the equipment just sitting there..but no silicone to get going again..was considering making some resin Jabba thrones..but silicone aint cheap lol

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
yeah, Ive been wanting to get back into casting..I have all the equipment just sitting there..but no silicone to get going again..was considering making some resin Jabba thrones..but silicone aint cheap lol

RIGHT!  IT's an expensive part of this hobby.  Sometimes I think it's cheaper just to go and buy the extra figures and cut them up. lol.  But, as clonehead shows, you can do some amazing things with resin casts.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »
Man, that throne would take some silicon! Yes, TS, when I'm done with the fab work on this one, it is my intent to mold it and paint up one of the copies for my contest figure. And, offer more copies, of course.

The one great advantage to having all of these parts I can cast over and over is that to me, they can be considered expendable, more so than a stock factory part. If I screw up, modifying something, I can always cast another one and start over.
Tamer was asking about producing the cowl part. While I hadn't intended to do that and had fixed the visor to the helmet as I was working on it to free my fingers, that doesn't mean I can't cast a helmet copy and just burn away all but the cowl part with a Dremel and then turn around and mold the part.
Alas, the ugly job calls, I started a courthouse expansion today, filled orders tonight, no time for Cody.

Let's see some more six inchers, folks.