Author Topic: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume  (Read 125266 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« on: June 03, 2012, 05:15:20 AM »
I just realized after cluttering up JKNO's Collection Thread (sorry Serg) that perhaps this would be the best place to document the process of how I am putting together my Driver Costume.

First off, I have to thank Serg again for dealing with myriad questions and accuracy issues and the many links I asked him to look at to judge the accuracy. If you don't know it, JKNO is definitely an unofficial Star Wars Expert when it comes to movie accuracy in regards to armor and props. And thanks to his suggestions and looking at the options for me (meaning I wanted someone else to do all the dirty work) I chose Faraway Creations: a prop company based in Colorado. Pat and I actually saw some of their work at CV and while we didn't talk to any of them we sure did enjoy their Hoth Display. After exchanging numerous emails and talking about what I wanted I decided to go with their full package and they even now offer canon flight suits. Here is a link to thier Site:

http://www.farawaycreations.com/

Here is a link they have to a gallery of their Driver Costume:

http://www.farawaycreations.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=2&Itemid=11

I will use this thread to document the entire process.

And oh, the other great news is I talked Cal (Viper Aviator) into creating an E-11 Blaster for me! Thank you for letting me twist your arm on that Cal!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:17:21 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:47 AM »
now you have really gone and done it, haven't you, Shawn. I a going to be green with envy.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:30:35 AM »
This should be fun to watch! 

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »
Cool Tamer! I hadn't thought of going the costuming firm approach but they look good. I'm still a big... fan of fan-made, or rather less organized guys like us--fringers, customizing costumes and whatnot. I'm really curious as to how you got them to do a full costume and also if it is costing you your first born and a USS Flag or something like that. Anything you'd care to share would be awesome! I'm looking into getting back into costuming and want something you can't buy on eBay. PM me?

Thanks! Can't wait to see this unfold and to see you in your new suit!

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
now you have really gone and done it, haven't you, Shawn. I a going to be green with envy.

Oh don't worry. I plan on hooking as many folks as I can. As you know Clint, I have been wanting one of these for awhile. These guys could hook you up with a great Clonehead Costume too. ;D

This should be fun to watch!  

I agree. I am really gonna enjoy this. It has been a long time coming. Do you remember this group we saw at CV?

Anything you'd care to share would be awesome! I'm looking into getting back into costuming and want something you can't buy on eBay. PM me?

Thanks AFE. I definitely might still need some help.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
Tamer takes the plunge! Congrats buddy, I know this has been on your to do list for a while now. Good luck and please give us all the info you can. This is a very interesting project!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
Tamer takes the plunge! Congrats buddy, I know this has been on your to do list for a while now. Good luck and please give us all the info you can. This is a very interesting project!

Thanks L.E.  I know it has taken me awhile to get to this point, but I didn't want to spend that kind of coin and not know I was going with good quality.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
Here are some preview images I was sent:

I talked with Cal a little bit about the E-11 today and he is already gonna soup that bad boy up! So excited!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
I don't blame you buddy! This suit is phenominal! That helmet is one of the coolest designs ever! I always wondered exactly what the back plate looked like. I know you are just tickled pink Tamer!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
Lucky!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
I don't blame you buddy! This suit is phenominal! That helmet is one of the coolest designs ever! I always wondered exactly what the back plate looked like. I know you are just tickled pink Tamer!

Yepper Spry, I feel like a kid at Christmas. One of my life dreams was to have a costume like this.

Lucky!

All it takes is saving your pennies and doing your research. I still feel pretty lucky though.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »
Now you just need boots, gloves and the glove-mounted comlink and you're ready for your first troop! Let me know if you have questions about joining your local garrison and general Legion questions... i assume you're joining the Legion, right?

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
Now you just need boots, gloves and the glove-mounted comlink and you're ready for your first troop! Let me know if you have questions about joining your local garrison and general Legion questions... i assume you're joining the Legion, right?

I have a commlink coming and have found the gloves. Not sure how to attach that yet, but I might see if I get them the gloves if they could attach the commlink for me. I have a handle on the boots too (moon boots that I have to change a bit to make them more canon) and I am hoping I can get my wife to sew the harness for me.

I am also in contact with another legion member who is a Driver who is really being a big help. Todd Mullin if that rings a bell and I have already bugged him to death. I tend to get obsessive when I start a project and I am sure he is already wishing he hadn't heard my name! Still, he has answered every question I have had.

As for the 501st, probably I will. It also depends on  how active they expect me to be with trooping too. If they expect every month or what not then I probably can't committ to that. I will probably need your help there Sam when I feel I am too that stage. I am also wondering about getting a fan for the inside of the helmet (to cool off) as I would assume it gets real hot in there.

So, a lot of things covered, but still a few loose ends.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:41:42 PM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Ok, I got my boots ordered (these are gonna take some customizing, but will work great):

http://www.mountainsports.com/MSmain.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=158163

And the Gloves:

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/np/MensGloves-ByStyle-Featured-td650hp-unlined-leather-motorcycle-gauntlets.htm#page=details

I will have to attach the comm link to one glove, but figure I can figure that out or send it to the costume maker for attachment. I think about the only thing I am gonna need now is a white holster of some sort for the e-11.

Sam, any advice on that? I know its not canon, but I wonder what the most acceptable holster would be?

Maybe this thread can help someone down the road who might want to put a costume like this together.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:47:07 PM by Tamer »

Spookymufu

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
hey Tamer, usually pilots or "drivers" have a shoulder style holster and a smaller weapon, like modern tank drivers have shoulder holsters for their 9mm's, have you thought about buying and customizing the cosplay RFT blaster they sell at TRU or WM and wearing a shoulder holster for it?