Author Topic: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume  (Read 125385 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
hey Tamer, usually pilots or "drivers" have a shoulder style holster and a smaller weapon, like modern tank drivers have shoulder holsters for their 9mm's, have you thought about buying and customizing the cosplay RFT blaster they sell at TRU or WM and wearing a shoulder holster for it?

I would love to see pics. Right now I am getting a Doopydoo E-11 Blaster similar to this:

I would love to see what you are talking about though, especially if those pics involve a Driver.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:58:31 PM by Tamer »

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
AFE's Unofficial Official Guide to Star Wars costuming:

This is for anyone considering a fan-made costume and/or joining the 501st Legion or Rebel Legion.

I was a Stormtrooper in The 501st Legion Costuming organization for a little over a year. I had a great time! Won a costume contest and trooped at some awesome events!

Here are my thoughts and ideas for your costume pieces, I can only speak from my experiences from the legion and what I heard/observed and the helpful answers I got from the members who had many years on me in terms of costuming, trooping, and legion experience:

-As for the commlink custom for the glove. I used a lot of sticky-backed velcro for those sorts of things. The Velcro brand "Heavy Duty" style works great and is affordable and at Walmart. I used it for my suspender straps on my ab piece and it never popper. I also used it to hang my power boxes from my belt (aka the cigarette boxes). This way for packing and transporting you can remove the more easily damaged greeblie from your glove and bubble wrap it, without folding the glove over it or having to bubble wrap any of your soft goods. Make sure it goes on the left glove!

-For your harness you might want to start with something like a rock climbing harness, or a tactical M-Harness for a sturdy material and then have your wife help you customize it or paint it white. Here's a link to a fan-made Harness and flak vest for X-Wing pilots but it's white so it could be used for your Driver as well. http://www.spitzfire.com/RebelLegion/xwpe.htm  As for the flak vest you could easily modify it to line your chest armor so it doesn't rub you or chafe.

-As for the blaster, Spooky's idea is good, but I would definitely stay away from anything like that. Any time I, or other members of my Garrisons (Excelsior and Empire State) mentioned doing a new costume we were always reminded that customizing anything--I know we're customizers--but anything would have a harder time passing approval. From custom built to scratch fabricated (sculpted/cast/etc.) always came with warnings and the possibility of long deliberations over whether it would be approved. This even occurred when I was talking about scratch building an EU character with tons of continuity, back story, and many visual examples (Rohlan Dyre the Mando from the TOR comics). That being said it should also go without saying that NERF guns are guaranteed to be rejected and frowned upon. Customized NERF, repainted NERF, etc. You will be told "We're not Mando Mercs, we're the 501st." I was asked by one of the Garrison leaders when I mentioned I was looking for a gun to customize, "PLEASE do not use NERF!" and everyone groaned at them. Just don't go there :D Also in addition to the "Never NERF" rule is the Hardcore (in the costuming realm meaning: as accurate and authentic as possible, involving such activities as trooping your Sandtrooper costume in a real red sand desert for REAL weathering, etc.) attitude people take with the costumes. If you've seen my TK Trooper costume in this forum you'll see that I am a Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper stationed on Tatooine. However I don't have the backpack, nor the heavy blaster, nor the Diamond knee plate, nor the pauldron. I had remembered seeing troopers in Mos Eisley attached to Sandtrooper Squads without that gear too. Trooper here with no backpack: http://www.looksirdroids.com/images/Publicity_Roadblock_04.jpg  2 Troopers bringing up the rear no Sandtrooper gear: http://www.looksirdroids.com/images/Publicity_Garindan.jpg  I brought this to the attention of my Garrison out of curiosity and wanting to justify the Tatooine weathering on my armor and my lack of Sandtrooper equipage and they thought it was interesting but threw out the possibility of being a sandtrooper without all the easily indentifiable gear. In their minds I was a TK with a silly paint job and not a TD (Sandtrooper) because I have no gear, despite the fact that the movies showed more than 1 example of my fellow gearless sandtroopers. The point being, Legion members pick apart the minute details like we pick apart and notice the minute details of our figures. So be prepared to back up what you do with references in case people ask. Check and double check where you put stuff! Commlinks are always on the left! (just reminding you again) So what kind of blaster can you have if all those cool possibilities are out? Well I don't ever like limiting my options, but any Imperial weapon will pass a preliminary approval, however we never see the Drivers armed or bearing/wearing any kind of weapons (unless you count the awesome might of an AT-AT Walker!) so stick with known Imp weapons. There are two options you'll see the Drivers with at legion troops, the standard E-11 (because should the Driver need to grab a gun from the Walker ready room, there'd most likely be racks of E-11s) and secondly if the Drivers are armed with a side weapon they're secondary weapons as they're primarily pilots and we know the standard Imperial pilot is armed with an SE-14r Light Repeating pistol: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/Firebladejedi/SR14R030.jpg and that would be the most likely candidate to be strapped to the Driver's hip much like his Tie Pilot counter parts. If you're worried about blaster bulk and weight I'd go with the SE-14r and personally I've always really liked those guys! Another thing to remember as far as the Legion, Action Figures are not agreed upon references to continuity. Some changes are almost always made to the figures in comparison to the original costumes, so keep that in mind too.

-Holster: In the same vein of on screen continuity, which is the highest level out there, as any Legionnaire will admit, so a shoulder holster, or underarm holster or even a belt holster is not going to be continuity, heck in TESB, and correct me if I'm wrong, but we never even see the AT-AT pilots above the waist much or at all, and they're only in 2 scenes. But as far as agreed upon continuity of the character there is no holster. An interesting history talking about what we see on screen: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original%20atat%20helmet.htm  So I would say no holster of any kind, as much of a drag as that is. Or if you do a holster, holster an SE-14r and you can always tell people "My other armor is a Tie Pilot"

-Comfort: I don't know how sensitive anyone else's skin is, but mine is sensitive. You may think your flight suit, or jumpsuit or costume's clothing is, but it could be cheaply made, or rough material. A good solution is a spandex under-suit/catsuit/leotard which most troopers wear anyway, but this might be a good idea under your Sith robes, or your Tusken bandages too! Also keep in mind you can wash your under-suit but you might not be able to wash your softgoods without ruining them so an under layer can keep you and your softgoods cleaner. This is also a good layer in cold weather trooping, and it helps you avoid unfortunate wardrobe malfunctions! Remember there are kids around you! Always wear undergarments and cover your private areas securely! No one wants to see your Janet Jackson! Nextly, consider padding. Armor is bulky, tight, and has hard edges. Anything from a little foam, to some extra straps or taping, to heavy duty helmet padding will add more comfort and allow you to wear your costume longer. be smart about it, more padding adds more weight and more layers so find a good balance for your comfort so you're not carrying bricks and melting in august. Also if buying a second hand costume is your route to Legion membership (and it's one I recommend. Especially if it's from a former/current member who won't try to scam you) you never know where it's been. Lysol that thing down, Fabreeze it, wash it down so you don't have to worry about getting dirty. Many people store these things in garages and attics, so be mindful of other little critters that might be trooping them... like spiders.

-Squiring: Another good thing is always having a wife/husband/buddy along to help you squire. Think knights and their pages. Someone to help you dress, and guide you if you're in low light or the dark, to help you disrobe your armor (softgoods is up to them lol) after an event, to help you take breaks (helmet removal, butt-armor removal) so you can sit and hydrate. They also should remind you to hydrate! To take breathers, and to, if necessary, remove the right pieces for bathroom trips. or be a bathroom buddy, so your precious props aren't picked up by over-eager fans. or grabbed off you by kids. This happens a lot with thermal detonators on troopers. Little kids pull off velcro pieces and if you're in armor or a helmet you might need someone to track them down and return your "stolen cargo". Also keep in mind what Luke said "I can't see a thing in this helmet" so true! So watch your step until you're on the ground where you'll be for a while. If you don't have a significant other, maybe ask one of the Sith/Jedi in your Garrison or find and make a new friend at the event, someone in a costume that can move and I'm sure they'll help you out! Or get your significant other or buddy into the hobby too and get them a Jedi/Sith costume or an officer or rebel pilot costume or other costume that affords good mobility. Also I will add kids are the best fans at events! Their whole faces light up at seeing their favorite characters in real life! Also, they WILL want to hold your props! Try on your helmet, swing your saber, hold your blaster, or just play fight you in general. This can lead to broken props! Assess the kid's age, if their parents are right there to jump in, and always remind them to be very careful with your precious pieces. Or carry a special prop for them to hold for photos with you. Hasbro RP gear is best!

-Lastly and perhaps one of the most important things to keep in mind is that trooping is never ever mandatory. Your Garrison mates and your Legion mates (SHOULD) remind you to come as you are (in/with costume, obviously) but also as a fan. Legionnaires are some of the coolest, warmest, and most welcoming people in the Star Wars fanverse. It should feel just as cozy as we do here at the Yards. Also come as often as you can, but never over do it. Don't travel beyond your means, don't over exert yourself (especially if you have pains, conditions, disorders, etc.) know your limits and then add more caution to that. The most important thing is to have fun and help others have fun! You should never be made to feel bad about not staying at an event if you know you're at your limit. be kind, friendly, and bring your inner child every time and every time you'll have a blast. I won't lie, it's a lot of work, so prepare for it in advance, get psyched up, and play it safe. Especially depending on climate too! You may think these costumes breathe more than others, but don't assume! Hydrate, or go inside and warm up/cool off!

-Remember this isn't the army, it's not Civil War reenactment, you don't have to eat hardtac and not wear your glasses "Because they didn't have those in star wars". no one wants a blind trooper falling down the stairs for "the sake of continuity". Don't go to boot camp to "prepare for a troop" or loose weight or gain weight unless you want to and have professional help with that. Take it as seriously as it is. Fans in fan-made, movie accurate costumes, for the enjoyment of the hobby and the enjoyment of the fans not in costume.

You will be asked for autographs so be gracious and sign your name or call numbers (i.e. TK-9849). Some fans won't realize you weren't the people in the movie. Or they'll call you the wrong character. Star Wars=Star Trek to some people. Let it go on your troops. (Blog about it later) It's just cool that you're there.

I will be expanding on this and posting it in a new thread in this forum after I post it here.

Tamer, I hope this has helped answer some of your questions. Feel free to PM me with more and "bug me" about anything Legion/Costume related :D

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
Wow, that is a lot of info. I will read and reread it a bit.

I might get me one of those lighter pistols too, but I do like the look of the e-11.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
I need to find a good pic of a tie pilot with this holstered. Man, this one doesn't look to be easy to acquire. I see a prop company makes it, but they want about three hundred smackers for one. Geesh.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:39 PM »
Hmmm maybe watch the "You two come with me!" scene in ANH? Can't remember if we see them there. But Vader and 2 pilots are on screen for more than 40 frames.

As for the Tie-pilot blaster. I'd start with the E-11. Once you're in the legion and in your garrison you'll have access to a whole host of message boards and you'll be much more likely to find someone who is selling one, or has a mold, or a kit.

"For the Empire!"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
Well I have a great person working an an e-11 doopydoos kit for me, but would love for you to put your feelers out for one of these at a reasonable price. They seem pretty rare. I will be honest, its the first I have ever heard of them. Of course, that ain't saying much. ;D

May as well put up a few pictures for reference. Like I said it might save someone else some trouble down the road.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:39:44 PM by Tamer »

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
Ah in prop form you mean? They're all over the movies. And if it exists in Star Wars continuity a fan somewhere has made one. As for my feelers, at this point they only include eBay. I recently asked a former garrison mate for some costume tips and she pointed me to the legion forums.

So seeing as how you can get approved with/without a blaster for your costume I would join as quickly as possible once you've got it all assembled. It can take a month or more. And I had to bug my very nice garrison leader about it. (There are garrison elections too! for leadership positions).

Then afterwords I'd start to sniff around for one.

The 501st Armored Cavalry Division:

http://www.armoredcavalry.net/

And this is the official guide to an approved Driver costume:

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TA_AT-AT_driver

I was wrong about the D H-17 blaster. But the one they list is unmodified.

Nothing about holsters tho.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:03:31 PM by Tamer »

"For the Empire!"

Spookymufu

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
this si the toy blaster I was talking about, the Imperials also used this blaster as seen in the detention block scene. I didnt realize this was a nerf gun....

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/JediKhalel/DH-17%20Rebel%20Fleet%20Trooper%20Blaster/DSC02159.jpg

I like that tie pilot blaster too tho
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:16:18 PM by Spookymufu »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Looks like the D H. Might get all three eventually.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
Not sure about on that one you've got a link to Spooky, in terms of size that is. I know the RP EE-3 has a very small handle built for kids. Looks like a good blaster tho!

"For the Empire!"

Spookymufu

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
I dont know how authentic it is compaired to the real props but I have seen quite a few web posts on converting it for trooping so I assumed it was passable, I know it's pretty big tho..

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »
I dont know how authentic it is compaired to the real props but I have seen quite a few web posts on converting it for trooping so I assumed it was passable, I know it's pretty big tho..

If you get a chance I would love a few links to those mods. Like I said yesterday, it would be cool to have all three versions of imperial blasters. The E-11 seems to pretty much be the preferred version, but I would love to have them all. I could also see me perhaps doing a velcro affiar, per AFE's idea, and putting the lighter blaster in a shoulder holster affair off the armor or on a belt that I have seen on some 501st Driver Examples like this:

I might try emailing the one person with the hip holster to see what they used and what weapon they prefer. Then, I could just decide which way I wanted to go based on how many costume perfect people I might see. I want to do it accurately, but there is nothing wrong with being a little off canon sometimes to be more comfortable and to have fun in my opinion.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
If you get a heavy E-11 (Resin, plastic, metal) I would definitely recommend a thigh loop on your thigh holster! Unfortunately that wasn't cannon for a Stormie, but I can tell you from experience an unsecured blaster in a holster will bang against your leg(s) as you walk. Plus it's easier to get it caught on obstacles.

"For the Empire!"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
Yepper, not a bad though on the thigh loop.

I am also researching mannequins so I can leave this up in my display room. I am gonna build myself a pvc one I do believe.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=38&product_id=61

Now this looks interesting and is way cheaper than a real mannequin.