Author Topic: Imperial Shipyards "These are the droids that we're looking for" Contest  (Read 26598 times)

Offline EliteVideoCore

• The customizer from the north!
  • Lieutenant
  • I am EliteVideoCore in the chatroom
I suppose I will try..... UGH this will be a disgrace........ :P

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
I started mine already....

I have other wip shots but I'm going to wait to reveal anything else.... 

Offline EliteVideoCore

• The customizer from the north!
  • Lieutenant
  • I am EliteVideoCore in the chatroom
I started mine already....

I have other wip shots but I'm going to wait to reveal anything else.... 
WOAH. Just WOAH...... I NEED TO RE-THINK MY ENTRY!!!! :o

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Nice looking start, Devin. Looks like you are on track.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
yeah, the only IG88 figure I have is the metal one...I guess we can assume yours will be super arty, :)

Hmm, you said on scale with 3 3/4 right?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
yeah, the only IG88 figure I have is the metal one...I guess we can assume yours will be super arty, :)

Yep,3 3/4 scale. I can hear the wheels spinning in your head now, Simon.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art

Yep,3 3/4 scale. I can hear the wheels spinning in your head now, Simon.

clint, what your actually hearing are the gears grinding against each other.... ;)

simon it will be super arty (or at least as close as I can manage...).

I'm actually very close to finishing already.  I just need to make a few minor additions and give the figure a fresh coat of paint to blend all the parts back together and it'll be done....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
here is another sneak peak WIP shot:

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
Picked up a base figure for this today.

Got the top part modified and assembled, just have to decide how I'm going to handle the legs.

Also of note, we just wrapped a "Feral Droid" contest over at www.yakface.com, check it for some great custom inspiration!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
another preview WIP shot from yesterday:

I've already finished the figure and will be posting my entry later on....  do I get bonus points for being first? :P

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
well, as you probably guessed I was doing an IG-88 figure.  I have been wanting to do one of these for a long time and never got the motivation to do it, so this contest got the ball rolling.  I had a day off from work today so I went on and finished him up and got him posted...

I wanted to use a vintage OTC IG-88 but couldn't find one... I was able to find an IG-lancer droid which was close enough.  I highly modified the lancer droid and replaced MOST of it's limbs with the arms and legs from a TCW IG-86 assassin droid.  This gives the new figure it's better articulation.  

The flamethrower attachment to the gun is actually the attachment for the lance that came with the lancer droid.  and the flamethrower's tank is from an "corps!" diver set.  and the flame effect is from the mcquarrie concept boba fett.

so, without further ado, here is the finished figure:

well.... what do you guys think?

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
You beat me to it, Spud! Very nice work on the IG! And that's some arsenal he's toting!

I had so much fun making my first Corpse Droid I decided I'd revisit the concept for this contest.

I picked up the Clone Wars Space Suit Obi-Wan this afternoon for my base figure, and just started adding some human and droid parts to it.  I can spend months, and in some cases YEARS working on a custom, it's a very satisfying feeling when one comes together in one day.

I think he's mostly done... but I've got most of a month to decide if I want to make any changes before I submit him I suppose:

Here he is examining his newest acquisition...

The Corpse Droid was a concept from the original Force Unleashed game, the idea being it's a maniac droid that's obsessed with becoming human and harvest living parts to build itself a body.

GIJOE Skeleton - Head
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Space Suit/Clone Wars) - Body, Helmet
Concept Starkiller Hero - "Breathing" device and hoses
Emperor Palpatine Clone - Thigh and Hand
4-LOM - Legs
CZ-4 - Arms

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
Oh, two questions regarding some rules clarification:

5) your entry pics can not be photo shopped or contain any photo shopped elements
My photo is corrected and tweaked for color and lighting in Photoshop. I assume this is allowed, and we're meant to stay away from cutting and pasting, adding effects, etc.

6) your entry must be an all new custom made by you and can't have been posted here or anywhere else
Once they've been posted here, I assume it's okay to show them elsewhere before the contest if over?

Thanks!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Oh, two questions regarding some rules clarification:

5) your entry pics can not be photo shopped or contain any photo shopped elements
My photo is corrected and tweaked for color and lighting in Photoshop. I assume this is allowed, and we're meant to stay away from cutting and pasting, adding effects, etc.

6) your entry must be an all new custom made by you and can't have been posted here or anywhere else
Once they've been posted here, I assume it's okay to show them elsewhere before the contest if over?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the photoshop issue is to avoid people placing figures in simulated environments or photoshopping existing figures together... I would assume light correction would be ok... and I assume that adding labels, text, and inset images like I did was ok....LOL I hope it was ok!

and I'm pretty sure as long as the custom is something that was done for this contest that's all that matters.  I went on and posted my figure on another forum and posted the images to my deviantart gallery as I always do.... but I made it clear in both places that the figure was for this contest.  I also posted an image in my figure thread with a link to this thread... so I think showcasing your figure elswhere is ok.  Just as long as it's not a figure that has been posted somewhere months/weeks/days ago that was somethign done previous to the anouncement of this contest....

now... back to what matters.   Your zombie droid rocks!  I love the look of that thing.  It's perfect.   I still think your original concept figure looked like dr. Krauss from hell-boy though!   

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
now... back to what matters.   Your zombie droid rocks!  I love the look of that thing.  It's perfect.   I still think your original concept figure looked like dr. Krauss from hell-boy though!   

That one's helmet, upper body, and arms all came from a Hell-Boy 2 figure, so that might be why! :D