Poll

Please vote for your favorite entry into the challenge!

Starchaser - Teacher/Jedi Me
Spudafett - SOTE 6" Swoop Bike with Rider
Jaya - Inquisitor Jaya
Mandalore25 - Basilisk War Droid
I-am-Boba-Fett - Imperial Patrol Skiff
HALCION - 6"LV-LS SPEEDER w Pilot

Author Topic: Star Wars Self Custom/Scratch-built Vehicle Challenge  (Read 45358 times)

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
Re: Star Wars Self Custom/Scratch-built Vehicle Challenge
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:52 AM »
Great work Spud you can really see the resemblance now tour making on for my swoop trooper too right?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
Great work Spud you can really see the resemblance now tour making on for my swoop trooper too right?

Thanks!  It was your rider that inspired this project to begin with...  But no, this thing has been a head scratching pain in the butt to pull together.  I love doing scratch builds like this, but I don't know that I would be willing to start over again from scratch with the same project. lol.  Now...  If someone smarter and more capable than I am would like to borrow the finished product and try and make a cast of it... (although with all the little greebly details I think it'd be impossible) I'd be willing to see if it could be done.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 11:29:42 PM »
Finished... just needs paint.

This has all the functionality of the original toy except for the exhaust pipes rotating down to act as landing gear.  The wings rotate up and down.  The long wing has the rocket launcher at the end which actually functions. 

What do you guys think?   Should I paint it in the traditional red paint scheme or go for something else?  I think I'll probably go with the red unless someone makes a good suggestion!

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
You went this far with authenticity might as well finish the same way with the red

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2015, 06:18:30 AM »
Wow, some great progress posted here since I have been gone.

I have to get that War Droid on the front page.

Folks please make sure you read the challenge rules and stipulations before you begin your build as the scratch build vehicle seems to be posing some questions. And yes it has to be a blend of at least two or more vehicles and we need a dimension over 6" long for it to count. I like the way M25 used a ruler to show it has met that.

TS Hobbies, your new additions to the challenge prizes are fantastic! Love the sillohuetes!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:27:11 AM by Tamer »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »
Thanks for the front page treatment on my war droid update Tamer. Added the ruler pic last second because even though a mandalorian can sit on it doesn't prove it's over 6", and it was at it's final length, so though I should get a pic of the measurement out there just so there would be no questions.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »
Starting to add paint.  so far just a base coat of black...  That's all it's going to be until late sunday. I've got a whole weekend planned with the girl so this project has to take a back seat.  Fortunately, I came across another great piece I'll be working on as soon as this project is done too... 

anyway, here it is with a black base coat.

(also, I need to get a better over-spray protector than the paper sack... accidentally got some black on my glass patio table.  DOH)

Offline Bronxstalker

• Commander
    • Bronxstalkers Facebook page
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2015, 07:30:02 AM »
Duuuuuuuddddeeeeeee.  I love it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »
spuda fett I had to get your great swoop bike on the fp too.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
got the swoop bike finished.  It's quite a beast, much larger than I had really planned.  Barely fit in my light box!

Here are my final entry highlight photos:

Of course the full build notes can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.892405697465107.1073741887.275038512535165&type=1&l=b2e93f57f9

as well as a video showcasing the various features of the bike and some other misc. details here:
https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xtf1/v/t42.1790-2/11767067_894848140554196_31242438_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjYwOCwicmxhIjoyMDYwfQ%3D%3D&oh=220ebdd16da75a40621427e446603121&oe=55ACA59F

Tell me what yall think.  This has been a great build and has really gotten me back into the customizing mindset!  Can't wait to see the other entries!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 05:31:06 AM »
Devin, ever since you have made that six inch AT-RT I am really getting amazed by your scratch building talent. That is off the charts cool and I never thought I would see this in that scale. I even pulled out my own SOTE Swoop with Rider and thought how cool it would be to see Hasbro to do that again except in the six inch scale. Bravo sir!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:14 AM »
Devin, ever since you have made that six inch AT-RT I am really getting amazed by your scratch building talent. That is off the charts cool and I never thought I would see this in that scale. I even pulled out my own SOTE Swoop with Rider and thought how cool it would be to see Hasbro to do that again except in the six inch scale. Bravo sir!

Thanks Tamer.  The swoop and speeder bikes were my FAVORITE toys growing up.  Mainly because the larger vehicles were too expensive for me to buy, not to mention these were nice and small and could be transported everywhere/anywhere!  I had endless hours playing with the swoop and speeder bikes...  Loved the exploding POTF speeders too (I wonder if I can rig up a similar functionality in the new 6" speeder bikes?...) 
That childhood experience is probably one of the reasons I love the speeder bikes so much and have such a large collection and fascination with the smaller vehicles now!

Thanks for the props, I would love to see hasbro take on some of the smaller vehicles for the 6inch line.  I'd love to see how they would pull of an at-rt! (but it'd probably be static with little articulation). 

Offline jaya

• Cadet
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 02:40:35 AM »
Jaya : Final entry

In star wars I'd seen myself as an inquisitor

background of my figures:

inquisitor Jaya

Jedi Knight during the Clone Wars and assigned to the security of Chancellor Palpatine alongside the clones Shocktroopers

Order 66: He was not killed by his clones like most masters and knights, near Chancellor Palpatine, it felt a share dark in this  jedi knight and gave him the opportunity to become one of the very first inquisitor.

Jaya agreed and lost its status as Jedi to become one of the first Inquisitor in charge of tracking down the last Jedi and clone deserters.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 03:20:16 AM »
Nice, it's has a pretty good likeness of you, and the inquisitor backstory is a nice touch.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »
Nice one Jaya. Had to use it for our front page update today.