Poll

Please vote for your favorite entry into the challenge!

Starchaser - Teacher/Jedi Me
Spudafett - SOTE 6" Swoop Bike with Rider
Jaya - Inquisitor Jaya
Mandalore25 - Basilisk War Droid
I-am-Boba-Fett - Imperial Patrol Skiff
HALCION - 6"LV-LS SPEEDER w Pilot

Author Topic: Star Wars Self Custom/Scratch-built Vehicle Challenge  (Read 45485 times)

Offline jaya

• Cadet
Re: Star Wars Self Custom/Scratch-built Vehicle Challenge
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
thanks mandalore25 and tamer for the coms :)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
These are some really great entries. You guys are doing some amazing work so far.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:17:19 AM by JDeck »

Offline OC47150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
This GAR deserter purchased a well-used speeder bike to use in his new adventures. The speeder has seen better days but he's able to make some unique modifications to it.

Not the most original, but I had fun modifying it and giving it that worn look. It's over six inches in length, too.  ;D

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
Tamer, I was under the impression as stated in the rules for this contest on page 1 of this thread that all vehicles have to be scratch built or have at least two vehicles kitbashed together into one and not just be a repaint of an already made vehicle like OC47150'S speeder bike with some parts added. Not trying to dog anyone out but that seems to be the rules as I understand them.
Is this correct Tamer?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:29:55 AM by I-am-Boba-Fett »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2015, 04:19:51 AM »
I think this one needs and official ruling, it's definitely walking the line on the rules. Questions were asked if super modified vehicles could be entered, and I believe that was ruled okay, but where does super modified start, and end? Personally, I agree with Boba, adding a few bags, and a big gun doesn't seem super modified. The figure, and story is a nice touch though.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2015, 04:25:38 AM »
 We should let the voters decide.  Ideally when you vote you should keep in mind all the requirements of the contest.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:34:54 AM by JDeck »

Offline OC47150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 05:02:47 AM »
If my entry doesn't meet the requirements, I'm cool with that. I enjoy showing off my creations.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2015, 05:07:26 AM »
Here were the parameters established in the challenge guidelines (which many of you here helped write):

"Feel free to create an orignial design, kitbash two or more existing ships together, build it from the ground up, etc. Keep one dimension at least 6" long "

This one really seems to be getting many folks and was one of the reasons we haven't done a scratch build before this. Its just plain hard to scratch build and you gotta appreciate those folks who do it on a regular basis.

Right now I am gonna have to think on what we are gonna do with those entries that have "skirted" the parameters we set forth in the original guidelines. By rights, and we have done so in the past, these entries should be disqualified. I also hate to get rid of entries where you can see folks have really put a lot of work in too. I will be honest I am in a quandry. I will think on it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:24:55 AM by Tamer »

Offline TSHobbies

• Lieutenant
  • Impressive!
    • TS Hobbies
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 05:55:42 AM »
I have to agree that this one wouldnt qualify as 'scratch built" or heavily modified..adding a couple of parts to an existing vehicle is simply that..adding detail..the original vehicle wasnt modified.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
I won't beat a dead horse its Tamer's decision but this can be ruled a kitbash it does change the silhouette. The last disqualification was due to not being 6" the one before was because it was a only repaint and the shape was not changed. Its not a dramatic change by any means but can be concidered a kitbash.

The rules as written on page 1  are quite vague and do not specify requirements on how it should be changed. Based on that I'd say the rebel transport should be readmitted as well. However they do not meet the original idea of the challenge, if you take it as written they both qualify.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:54:03 AM by JDeck »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »
I won't beat a dead horse its Tamer's decision but this can be ruled a kitbash it does change the silhouette. The last disqualification was due to not being 6" the one before was because it was a only repaint and the shape was not changed. Its not a dramatic change by any means but can be concidered a kitbash.

The rules as written on page 1  are quite vague and do not specify requirements on how it should be changed. Based on that I'd say the rebel transport should be readmitted as well.

In the original rules it did say that a kit-bash would need parts from at least 2 vehicles combined into a singular new vehicle.

I agree, the silhouette was changed, but it doesn't seem like there were parts from 2 vehicles used... 

I know there is a lot of confusion, I have recently joined a modeling page on FB and it surprised me how many people didn't know what "scratch built" even means.  Everyone there is used to pre-made kits and when someone posted a scratch built model they continued to ask where they could get the kit/parts!  Even though the person said it was a scratch built one-of-a-kind! 

That being said, everyone's customs are great that have been posted.  Maybe we should make an "honorable mentions" list that don't fit the original parameters of the contest?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »
 As I read the rules it says feel free to make a kitbash using two or more ships... The rules don't  require it. There's no doubt there is a lot of confusion in this contest ultimately I believe we should leave it up to the voter to interpret the rules as we all have played a part in its original design. Allow the voter to
  decide the best entry. The requirements for a kitbash is a matter of opinion, you can make a ship out of truck parts not necessarily two ships. To me a scratch build is totally build from raw materials. A kitbash is taking different manufactured parts putting them together to make a new model. That's what he did. Its not a dramatic change, but that's a matter of opinion.

You really can't get a greyer area. It really can go either way. would it be fair to those who've read the rules and misinterpreted them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:56:47 PM by JDeck »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »
Ground or space worthy ship or vehicle, this one is also wide open too. Feel free to create an orignial design, kitbash two or more existing ships together, build it from the ground up, etc. Keep one dimension at least 6" long (if its close include a pic of your finished vehicle beside a ruler for scale) for at least one side as this can be done in pretty much any scale. Remember, this one can be metal, plastic, wood or a combination in between. Any Star Wars Verse is fair game too (including what is now being referred to as LEGENDS, but what most of us still call Expanded Universe).

"feel free to create an original design." 

As in, make something up that isn't an established star wars vehicle.

But it doesn't matter to me.  It's not like many people are even going to vote in the contest anyway.  Participation for these is always poor.  As far as I'm concerned I made my entry for myself, not for this contest, and if people are customizing and getting into the hobby regardless of whether they are doing it "right" according to the contest rules who cares, they enjoyed building it and that's all that matters.

For all I care throw out the vehicle section of this contest all together and let's vote on the best self custom! (And since there are only 2 entries they both win!).

This will be the last contest I enter here. 

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
I didn't want to get you upset. Its not my decision any way. I just think we should argue a defining point, instead of jumping to conclusions. I just think the more participants the better it makes it fun. Its supposed to be fun.  My original design when I proposed this contest was real simple even a kid could participate. Designed to be vague so people with any skill set can at least give it a shot, try something new. To just build a completely original ship (meaning spaceship) in any scale like 1/200 or 1/2000 at least 5" at its longest point, (5" tall, 5" long etc.) Made from anything available. Then people wanted land vehicles and somehow EU was thrown in completely voiding the idea of an original design. My idea was changed so much I don't know what the rules are.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:40:20 PM by JDeck »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Um, ouch, throw out the vehicle.. I get he can't actually make that happen, and I am disappointed at the amount of entrants, but I was entering to try to win, want to prove I'm good. Have been doing this for years, and get little recognition for it. Maybe it's only myself I need to prove I'm good to, but still.