Author Topic: Customjedi's Customs (updated figures - page 21)  (Read 58736 times)

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
Customjedi's Customs (updated figures - page 21)
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
TABLE OF CONTENTS

Page 1 - Drumheller Harp
Page 2 - Shasa Tiel, Bubo (repaint), EV-99 (articulated)
Page 3 - Jabba's Bartender Droid, B.A.D. Protocol Droids, Leia Boushh (Saga repaint)
Page 4 - Wicket (repaint), Leia (Endor Poncho) (repaint)
Page 5 - Bib Fortuna
Page 6 - Boshek, antiqued metal chain, CZ-3 (de-paint)
Page 7 - B.A.D. C-3PO w/ restraining bolt, Lirin Car'n
Page 8 - ESB Luke headswaps, Zuckuss (modified softgoods)
Page 9 - Yerka Mig, R2-A5
Page 10 - B.A.D. C-3PO w/ Tusken Attack Damage, Echo Base Troop Carrier/Tram, Echo Base Shield Door prop
Page 11 - Cantina Spacer, Echo Base Command Center Entry platform, Major Kem Monnon (Legends)
Page 12 - 2-1B (articulated), General Rieekan progress photos
Page 13 - General Rieekan. Lando (Smuggler), Danz Borin
Page 14 - Momaw Nadon
Page 15 - Labria
Page 16 - Tawss Khaa, Leia Boushh (4" Black Series upgrade/repaint), Tessek
Page 17 - C-3PO (TFA), Droid brander, Mosep Binneed (Jabba's Palace)
Page 18 - Hoth Leia headswap, Hydromech droid, Death Star Droid ("chromed")
Page 19 - Emperor Palpatine with Sith Lightening
Page 20 - Swilla Corey & Owen Lars
Page 21 - M'iiyoom Onith
Page 21 - 2X-3KPR Security Droid
Page 21 - Lars Homestead
Page 21 - Aunt Beru
Page 21 - Bespin Luke (battered and beaten)
Page 21 - Leia Bespin head-swap
Page 21 - Ponda Baba head-swap
Page 21 - Triple Zero
Page 21 - Hutt Slayer Leia

Mostly this is an accessory. It's always bothered me that Ak-rev didn't have both the instruments he played in Jabba's Palace.  It's taken about a month, but I've finally realized the Drumheller Harp.

It's made primarily from modified found objects, though some pieces were molded with InstaMorph plastic. There are some progress shots in the album on my Facebook page which I had shared here but FB moved things around and killed all my links. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.666000750102089.1073741826.665998250102339&type=3
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:53:38 PM by customjedi »
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: Customjedi's Figures
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
That is a truly inspired piece! The pose is great, too.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline My kind of scum

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »
I've commented on this elsewhere, but I have to say again that this thing is just off the charts cool.  Fantastic work!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:02:20 AM »
That does look nice! Welcome to ISY. Off to share this on our front page.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »
I commented on it too.  I've completely missed this thing in that microsecond screen shot.  Thanks for bring it to light and yours looks fantastic. 
I'm jealous.  I want one too.
You dont have any WIPs do you?

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the front page share, Tamer! I'm honored. Thanks My kind of scum and Sjefke for your kind comments here and elsewhere... and you as well, smeagol92055!  I do have a few in progress shots...

My primary reference image was this from the Visual Dictionary:

The main body of the resonator was made from some kind of plastic spool I've had lying around forever topped with a dome made from InstaMorph plastic. After heating the plastic, I pressed it into the bottom of a spray can (coated with cooking spray) to achieve the right shape.

The rounded bottom portion of the resonator was eventually replaced with 1/2 of a Guinness widget - the other half was saved for the base.  Additional symbols were made from InstaMorph. The "tubing" pieces are a wooden skewer and a wood dowel rod.  Some of the pieces have already been base coated with brush-on copper colored acrylic paint.

More to follow as I sort through the remaining pics.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:41:18 PM by customjedi »
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
The lower resonator was made out of two strips of foamies. This picture shows the Guinness widget used on the base along with the foamie piece that makes up the sloped area of the base.

The base ended up being made up of several pieces: a cottage cheese container lid cut to size, the Guinness widget, the foamie circle...

and the outer edge of a coffee pod from Tassimo which are flat and round not cup shaped like Keurig.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:49:13 PM by customjedi »

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
The gong stand is another wood skewer. The lower music charm is the smallest bell I could find at the craft store. I removed the clapper and widened the opening to fit.
The O'Tawa cymbals were made from Instamorph as was the base of the gong stand.

The other music charm was made from some metal beads superglued together then surrounded by a cage crafted from small bits of a crossstich grid.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:51:47 PM by customjedi »

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
The toughest part was the large Screamer gong. I originally wanted to create it out of InstaMorph but I couldn't get it to look right. I settled on modifying a party favor game that I found at a Dollar Tree store.

I split it apart and tried to fill the holes.  I'll probably go back later and redo that part so it's smoother.

Remember all the plastic wrapped wire Hasbro used to use when packaging ships and larger items? I kept a lot of it because it makes good tubing.

Using a tiny drill bit for my Dremel, I drilled 8 holes in the base and 8 corresponding holes in the resonator for the Centressar strings (telephone wire I saved from an office remodel).

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:23:36 PM by customjedi »

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
The rivets are pin heads carefully snipped from their pins (wear goggles!).

The Tryna chime for the top was made from some sparkly ribbon I spotted one day at Walmart. I crafted an inner frame from telephone wire and glued the ribbon to each side.

The circular chime mount comes from a small milk/creamer container.  If you've ever seen the dairy cartons that have a screw top pour spout there is usually a seal inside. I used the pull ring part for the Chime mount.

The ring had small holes drilled in the appropriate places and the wires were secured with superglue then snipped as close to the frame as possible.

The the plug part on the spout seal was sort of cymbal shaped so I pressed the InstaMorph over it to make the small O'Tawa cymbals seen here:

The last little bits and pieces were hotglued in place but I don't think I documented those last steps.  The main unit is all wired or glued together so it will stay as is, but I may redo the Screamer gong since the Gong stand is a separate piece.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions anyone has about the build.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:31:31 PM by customjedi »

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »
Now that is an impressive build sir. Thanks for the WIP shots, really makes you appreciate the final product.
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline My kind of scum

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 08:08:02 PM »
Wow.  It's even more impressive once you see the amount of work put into it...

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Awesome work on that drumheller harp!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:37:17 AM »
Wow, have to get this step by step guide on the front page. Folks are gonna want to try and reproduce that. Thanks for sharing.

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
You're welcome, Tamer. Thanks, everyone for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it!  I'll try to fill in pictures of some of the pieces I lacked photos for. I'm going to re-do the Screamer gong if I can find those little dollar store toys I seem to have misplaced. I need to clean my workshop/house!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:56:29 AM by customjedi »