Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 36887 times)

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »
I like this contest, let me go rummaging... I might have an idea for a Bombastic entry...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
Doc I see we got your brain going at it on this one, wait, do I smell wood burning!?! haha Can't wait to see what you come up with. Thanks and YES, I got a laugh, exactly what I was going for. I was sitting here grinning as I edited those pics. I love the "dog out the window shot" the most.

Glad to see you in on this one also Joe! I know you have the fodder to give us something awesome!

Speaking of fodder I went into my cheap vehicle fodder bin with all non SW stuff in there.

Then looked through my broken toys, transformers, junk I like from the thrift store bin.

and came up with a few pieces I like for this event. This first one I am trying to save for a pod racer. I think it is Ody Mandrell's that resembles this sitting/control area.

Next up is a small speeder that I could see a custom alien of some type zooming around on.

This last one I really like! I have been wanting a swoop or speeder for this guy since I created him. I think the look of the vehicle fits the character. I like the idea of an engine blast effect out the back but I will remove this one and add something smaller. I am sure it will get a gun placement or 2 then a repaint will be in order. I am thinking something outlandish, a wild color scheme to match the riders personality. If anyone has ideas or may want to trade fodder let me know.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
spry what in the world is that last bike thing from? what toy line?  it looks freaking awesome and I'd love to have one to make my own version.

in my mind the mini-rigs were always vehicles that were designed with the look and aspects of existing star wars vehicles, only made much smaller so that kids could stick a figure in them and use their imagination.  Several of the mini-rigs looked like underscaled versions of larger vehicles....   Some of the "mini-rigs" we are getting in the current line reflect this line of thinking, like the droid mini-tank.

the first thing that popped into my mind was a walker type vehicle.... one that I've tried to do before but didn't have the experience to successfully complete back in the day.  I made a working prototype way back when but I think I will re-visit it with new eyes and attempt to create something more fitting for this contest.

but I might try building another scratch built speeder...  I love my collection of speeders and have been itching to do a new scratch built one.

either way, it will be scratch built, or at least the majority of it will be.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »
the last bike is a Power Rangers bike my kids have a couple  think its "Mystic Force"Power Rangers"
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
This competition is gonna be fun. If anyone needs some new fodder to customize I am selling three different small G.I.Joe vehicles on ebay right now. If a Shipyarder wants one I can end the auction and sell it to them. I got a desert Joe cycle w/side car canon, Cobra bubble pod, and a glider that has weapons on it. Here is a link to one of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220749946806&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
pm sent

Offline Commander Wolffe CC #3636

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
i have the flame trooper and commander jet clone and i am getting commander jet so i am thinking about making a 3 person geonosis camo mini rig. like the idea?

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »
Spud, I see Jay answered your question, I bought it at a thrift store and was going to guess Power Rangers. Tom, that bubble pod is a great one and looks like it could be a SW mini rig as is! Just wanted to make it clear after reading over my last post, I am not going to make all the vehicles I posted. Just wanted to offer fodder trades/give ideas if anyone needs it.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
does anyone know what that small red vehicle is with the alien standing by it?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 04:59:42 AM »
would ANYONE happen to have a set of new sculpt (or old) chicken walker legs? 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 05:05:57 AM »
Ghostskull, I have no idea what vehicle it is. It must have been a happy meal toy not from an actual toy line. Do you want to trade for it?

Spud, I wish I could help but I don't have them.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 06:02:59 AM »
so... after some toying around with junk I had on hand I had a few more ideas come to mind.

Most of them inspired by what was already said:

1:  imperial repair drone.  A small one man vehicle with at least two arms with articulated hands and a multitude of tools (already mentioned by someone as a "death star repair vehicle")

2:  the walker project.   I had built a scratch built AT-PT back over a year ago... and i was thinking this would be the perfect time to re-visit that project.  BUT.... the parts I would like to obtain (for one costs money!) will make the vehicle way too big for this project.

so the third choice I had and I've decided to go with will be something I hope will blow yall's mind away....  I'm off to research stuff for it now and I hope to have it started this afternoon.  It'll be a long project as the entire vehicle will need to be scratch built but I should be able to do it in a few weeks tops.....
for now I'm not going to give away the surprise....

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »
Ghostskull, I have no idea what vehicle it is. It must have been a happy meal toy not from an actual toy line. Do you want to trade for it?

Spud, I wish I could help but I don't have them.

let me think on it, i'll let you know  ;)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »
Spry, LOL @ the smoke comment!  I *do* keep a package of extra rubber-bands handy, y'know...

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
I'm gonna do an AT-ST Crawler. So no copycatting! LOL sn1