Author Topic: February No Paint Kit Bash Contest  (Read 33672 times)

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
Re: February No Paint Kit Bash Contest
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
I'm definitely in!!! I'm probably going to do two figures. How many pics per figure?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:26:27 PM by CloneSniper78 »

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
What a great idea......I don't have much in the parts bin :(, so i don't have a lot to work with....But here are a few i put together ..... I won't bother with a build list since my kit bash figures are very simple....

edit- ----another  FEB 17

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:36:00 PM by von reinhardt »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
tamer... we are all here for you, not just to tease and annoy...  You can be just as good as anyone here if you set your mind to it.  Custom projects like this are how we all get started! 

Find a good figure that you can do a real basic head-swap on and then accessorize the figure with whatever you can find to look good.  Best thing is the no painting! unlike clonehead, helix88, and the other uber-painters here I'll be the first to tell you that painting a figure is what sucks more than any other part of customizing! 

And if you want to get into more kit bashing than just swapping heads and accessories ASK some of us what process you should go about using and between everyone here I'm sure we can get you into customizing hard-core once and for all!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »
tamer... we are all here for you, not just to tease and annoy... 

Although we're here for a LOT of that!!
;D

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
Alrighty… So, I was in the custom cave, looking for parts and I found this older custom I made a couple years ago at a local custom meet.  My friend gave each of us a Vader Helmet and told us to make a custom using it.

Being the uber complicated customizer that I am, I went all out, using parts from GI Joe, knock offs, SW and some others and I made this cool cat:

I was really happy with how he turned out. He doesn’t really count for this, but I thought I’d share him anyway seeing he has no paint. He kinda gives me a special ops/Hodgepodge Merc look.. I dunno… but I like him.

Okay, now that I got him out of the way, all things serious now, here’s a custom I saw sitting on my workbench, two totally unrelated parts, sitting next to eachother, and then it hit me, and my latest custom was born.. I present to you, Water Cooler Palpatine:

He looks a little angry, maybe the Senate is running late, I have a feeling he’s gonna veto OrganaCare if they don’t show up soon…

Okay, yeah.. that wasn’t really a serious custom, but I had to post it cause it made me laugh.  Now on to my serious entry…

I remember a couple years ago, someone on RS posted something like this. I don’t know who, or the exact recipe, but when I saw the GI Joe body and the Gree legs, I knew I had to make it work.  It wasn’t that hard, I drilled out Gree’s ball socket legs so the GI Joe pegs fit in, and then swapped a lower arm, so it looked like he was still changing. Oh, I did dremel down the GI Joe belt with grenades and stuff, just didn't fit with the SW stuff, so I did that and then slipped the Gree belt over... :D

I was so happy with how it turned out, I made him a cool lil’ diorama, so he can sit here at my desk and keep me company while surf the net and pay the bills, lol.

(Sorry for the flash pic, the other one looked too grainy)

Well, there’s my entry so far… as I was digging, I had a couple more ideas, but I have to see if I have all the right parts. Hope you like and can’t wait to see more.

-Joe
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:07:40 AM by Joerhyno »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 03:49:59 AM »
Wow, that didn't take long! I love that changing armor Gree diorama. Sweet stuff.

That water color Palpatine reminds me of somebody at work! I loved seeing that Mcquarrie Wookie head on that body too. Great stuff folks. Keep it coming!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:09 AM »
joe, watercooler palpatine is hilarious. Great stuff.

that gree is pretty awesome too.  great work blending the two lines together.  If I understood correctly you drilled out a hole in the thigh section of gree's legs to fit over the existing metal ball joints of the joe hips?  interesting idea. 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 05:15:26 AM »
I can't tell you how happy I am that some of you were able to put up a custom on the first day of the contest! Well done guys!

VR- Nice work on all of those. I like the concept Chewie, he looks like a drunken cantina denzien to me.

Joe- you really went all out on that first custom! I see so many toy line parts meshed together on that one. Water cooler Palpatine is great and gave me a good laugh. perfect! The we scroll down to Gree, Love It! I have always wanted to do a clone like that as well, bought a few Joes, then couldn't bring myself to do it as I started loving the Joes as they were. Very well done and you pushed it further to a mini dio. Very well done my friend. This is exactly the type of work I was hoping to spark!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 06:29:56 AM »
OH yeah, water cooler palpatine nearly had me rolling on the floor. I really like that little gree dio and having him polishing his helmet was a nice touch.

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »

VR- Nice work on all of those. I like the concept Chewie, he looks like a drunken cantina denzien to me.

Yep that is where he likes to spend his time, creeping in the back rooms of the cantina.

This Snivvian  takes what he wants, from Fett, dengar and even a stormtrooper.....

Oh yeah, water cooler palpatine rules! I want one....what body is that?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:38:42 PM by von reinhardt »

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
Alright here is my first entry. It's Darth Bane in armor. Maybe in his early days.
Darth Bane head
Cobra Commander torso
A-suit Duke arms
C.C. hands
some cobra guy legs
Darth Vader cape
Mace Windu/Count Dooku custom lightsaber

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
WOAH !! custom overload !! great stuuf guys i know who im voting for !

Offline damonsfast

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »
hey Joerhyno  what is that box thing next to the clone armor?
and yes the water cooler made me want to cry, so so funny

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
Spuda- Pretty much, I hacked off the peg that went into the Gree crotch, then just drilled out a hole for the GI Joe ball sockets. The plastic was hot enough on one that it was soft and popped right in, the other leg I drilled the hole a little too big so had to use some hotglue in there to make it a nice fit.

Von- I love that Cantina pic, he looks like he's taking a creepy interest into that female pilot, lol.. Hope she has her blaster ready... The snivvian looks cool, is that from the PotJ one?

Palpy's body was from the Avatar line. I forget the characer's name, but it was the one Giovanni Ribisi played. It's a tad small(think luke or Leia size) but stand alone, it works. I got it at Family Dollar, the line was dead and only some of the outlet stores were getting that wave.

Damons- The bown box thing on the ground? I believe it came with a Firefly GI Joe from a comic pack. It might have also came with another GI Joe from the movie line or Hall of Heroes, but I know for sure it was from a comicpack as I bought a bunch of those for fodder. It's real cool, opens up, has a flashlight, gas can, wrentch thing and explosives that all come out, and it doubles as a backpack. EDIT: I just checked and it came with this Cobra: http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/cobraofficer8.shtml My friend sent me a couple of those guys from that set, forgot about that, but it also came with a Firefly too ;)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:28:04 PM by Joerhyno »

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
Hey Joerhyno,

Yes that is a  POTJ Zutton head..... ha, ha i love that cantina pix as well... He's a creepy little bugger .....