Author Topic: Vintage focus  (Read 22285 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Vintage focus
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2010, 05:29:48 AM »
I'll dig in the box,   there may be a battery cover but that would be about it,  mainly legs and a few empty shells

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
I'll dig in the box,   there may be a battery cover but that would be about it,  mainly legs and a few empty shells

I have a few legs that are iffy so if you have ones that are decent I wouldn't mind those either. Thanks Wayne.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »
Iffy as in color (yellowed)  or able to be positioned?   

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
Iffy as in color (yellowed)  or able to be positioned?   

Iffy as in able to be positioned. Two of em have a good bit of play in em.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2010, 07:11:31 AM »
I flirted with a vintage AT-AT auction on eBay last night, but the bids quickly got out of hand. This is kind of the last piece I want to complete my collection anyway, as it's the one thing I really wanted as a kid but never got.

I was fortunate enough to score a very nice Ewok village last night though. I don't think it is complete, but I have most of the little parts left over from back in the day anyway. Anything not there I can always pick up on the cheap separately.

I was also VERY lucky to snag my missing X-Wing canopy last night. I did not realize initially that the Battle Damaged X-Wing canopy was different from the regular version. (Tinted as opposed to no-tint) I happened to stumble across an auction for one by sheer happenstance and thankfully came away the winner, albeit a little more pricey than I would have preferred.

Oh, and I also picked up my vintage Slave 1 replacement over the weekend...sans Carbonite Han and Back Door. (I have Han already and can just pick up the sliding door separately at my leisure) I didn't really need to spend the extra $$$ but I had put in my bid a few days ago and no one else ever entered another bid at all, so I ended up winning it without even really trying.

Not much left on the list now!

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
Reminds me I need to replace my vintage Slave I's Carbonite Han.  As a kid I thought it would be cool if the Carbonite Han was sitting in the hamster family's cage.  Those little jerks chewed the heck out of it!  Man, was that ever a dumb idea.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2010, 05:58:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm still looking for a replacement rear hatch for my Slave 1. That was a stupid move on my part, like buying Jabba's Dungeon without the branding iron. Some missing pieces you can't find even on eBay. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2010, 06:05:05 AM »
Picked up a mint, sealed Vintage Survival Kit on eBay, still in the original mailing box. What a great mail-away that was. Glad to have this in my collection now.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Picked up a mint, sealed Vintage Survival Kit on eBay, still in the original mailing box. What a great mail-away that was. Glad to have this in my collection now.

Is this the one with the gas masks and grappling hook?

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
Is this the one with the gas masks and grappling hook?

Yep, you got it. Plus the cool Dagobah Yoda Backpack. I love this kind of stuff.

BIG score over the weekend, hopefully I'll be as happy when it arrives:  R2-D2 with pop-up lightsaber. UK seller, plus a somewhat vague description = relative bargain. (IMO, finding one of these in decent shape for less than $60 is a bargain)

I really hope it's as nice as I am visualizing. Just out of curiosity, anyone know a good way to verify the saber is an original and not repro?

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
Yep, you got it. Plus the cool Dagobah Yoda Backpack. I love this kind of stuff.

BIG score over the weekend, hopefully I'll be as happy when it arrives:  R2-D2 with pop-up lightsaber. UK seller, plus a somewhat vague description = relative bargain. (IMO, finding one of these in decent shape for less than $60 is a bargain)

I really hope it's as nice as I am visualizing. Just out of curiosity, anyone know a good way to verify the saber is an original and not repro?
[/quote]

The survival kit was the mother of all mail-away kits.  I found a couple of those for cheap a few years myself.  Never had them as a kid; so I was pretty glad to finally land them.

Someone else might have better info on the reproduction saber; but generally speaking a lot of repros used to be painted rather than cast in the correct color.  With some of the resin dyes available these days I imagine it might be harder to spot reproduced parts.  Still, that particular color of green might be hard to find as an "off-the-shelf" dye.  Anybody else have any ideas?

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2010, 05:52:15 AM »
Thanks, someone at another forum pointed me to a site that has a specific section on the Pop-Up lightsaber repros. There are at least 2 out there, one which does not launch and one that is a slightly different length. I should be able to verify that I have the real deal once it arrives.

I got my replacement Rebel Troop Transport guns and the Survival Kit in the mail yesterday. Psyched!

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2010, 09:03:46 AM »
Yeah, I'm still looking for a replacement rear hatch for my Slave 1. That was a stupid move on my part, like buying Jabba's Dungeon without the branding iron. Some missing pieces you can't find even on eBay. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

So I found a way to score the branding iron finally...found an auction for the complete playset and wrote the seller in advance asking him if I only wanted the branding iron piece if he could cut me a break on shipping and keep the rest for himself. He agreed, so I managed to pick up the one (well, 2 actually since it has a clip) piece I was missing on this playset.

Sweet relief!

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
Finally scored the "other" Jabba's Dungeon playset tonight, for a very excellent price, with original box to boot. Pretty happy about this one...you don't see this up for auction as much as you'd think, at least at a reasonable price.

Progress has slowed, but still getting closer. Nine items to go!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2010, 05:03:39 AM »
Boy, I sure do get envious of the collection you must have now. Is this all rubbermaided up or do you have any of it on display? If so, I would love to see a pic of it. You have made some excellent finds this past year.