Author Topic: Vintage focus  (Read 22165 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Vintage focus
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:14:05 PM »
What's your vintage focus?

For me it's loaded question as it seems to go in streaks, My mainstays are prototypes, I have a few from figures to vehicles, with the vehicles being my favorite since they seem to pop up less than many figures.

I am a loose figure collector mainly in the older line, I am a c9 collector but I will buy almost any carded fig as long as the price is nice.

The odd items. For me this is a subset that really never ceases to surprise me. The sheer amount of merchandise is staggering anything from toothbrushes to gluesticks and soap dishes all had the SW logo. To me the odder the better. I think they add a little flair to a display. Anyone can amass a loose vintage figure collection pretty easily but to make it unique with seldom seen and often forgotten items makes it not only fun but personal.

I have some odd stuff ranging from a carded Landspeeder comb to folders, pins, kites, tape cassettes.

Anyhow what do you collect?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Vintage focus
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
I have a few vintage items, including one carded imperial officer I remember someone giving to me in a contest! Ofcourse I like my vintage walkers.  I have a few atat drivers and my dream is to get an AFA 80 to 85 driver and Veers one day. I also have a vintage boxed tie fighter that I think needs your help Sarge. 

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
I remember that constest for the Imp officer,

What help do you need with teh Tie fighter?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
Hey Sarge, have you any pics of your prototype vehicles? I would sure love to see em.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
I will be snapping some good shots soon, as some of  the folks know I lost almost every pic I had a few months ago when my old  hard drive crashed so I need to play catch up. I plan on starting a proto pic gallery one of these days.

here are a few I have on photobucket, the rancor on the right is an unpainted first shot in non production colors, the Dengar is a QA sample and on teh shelf you will see a white vintage landspeeder and next to it is a hand painted undated engenerring sample die cast speeder. better pics to follow

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »
Wow, that is really cool. thanks for sharing your pics, Wayne.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »
My pleasure,

Now this next item is a subset again, I like teh Driods cartoon items and this could fit in within a few arenas but it is a few cells used in the making of the cartoon series. I have more packed away but have these out and framed since I like R2, these are marked by the artists and otehr pre-production staff, just another neat thing to go after and since so many cells were made they can be had reasonable in most cases and since each cell is unque they all offer something slightly differnt than the next.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 07:16:02 AM »
That is some great stuff. Man, that Veers and Wampa and Dengar look momc to the max. Can't wait to see more pics!

The tie is just so old the stickers are peeling off the wings and the box is really warped. I was hoping the vintage expert could refurbish the ole gal box and all. Course I have a lot of other irons in the fire before I get around to this. I gotta make sure I don't burn you guys out when I start my dio.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:29:55 AM by Tamer »

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »
Thanks, That Wampa is actually a harder one to get as it is an early version where they have the wampa dragging a Rebel Commander instead of Luke, it was changed so finding that one was a treat.

It's tough to fix a warped box, basically I would recommend that you find books roughly the size of the box and stuff it from the inside to flatten 1 side at a time, The stickers, short of finding originals to replace them there isn't much to do with out going repo and you know I find that a dirty word ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »
That book idear is worth a try. I should be able to find some books to stuff the inside with. I really don't know what I want to do with the tie itself.  I know what you think about repro sticker sheets too.  I am about half wondering about you doing some black air brushing!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »
Well Tamer, I got a piece comming in the mail I know you'll be likeing, It's outside of my normal scope in teh cact I don't really go after the Micro Collection but it was a good price on an unused playset. I will post pics when it arrives next week but it's a Micro Collection Hoth Generator Attack Playset. the contents are unused and still bagged and of course the box is said to be pretty nice as well.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
Well Tamer, I got a piece comming in the mail I know you'll be likeing, It's outside of my normal scope in teh cact I don't really go after the Micro Collection but it was a good price on an unused playset. I will post pics when it arrives next week but it's a Micro Collection Hoth Generator Attack Playset. the contents are unused and still bagged and of course the box is said to be pretty nice as well.

Man that sounds awesome. You find all the great goodies. You sure do know how to sniff em up. However, I may have found a little something myself! I will post some pics when I get it if it turns out to be as good as advertised!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
Seen a story in Jediinsider.com, today that had a link to this pic and description of a prototype Death Star Playset over at Starwars.com that I thought was pretty cool.
  What does that gun look like to you, Shawn?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:45:46 AM »
That sure does look  like a big cannon doesn't it? Not like the cannon we have been after.

On another vintage note, I scored a vintage walker on the bay last night for 10 bucks. It is missing most of its front parts, but still well worth it in my opinion.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »
That sure does look  like a big cannon doesn't it? Not like the cannon we have been after.

On another vintage note, I scored a vintage walker on the bay last night for 10 bucks. It is missing most of its front parts, but still well worth it in my opinion.
$10 is a good deal on a walker, buddy. I wish we could find our gun for that much!
  Is a vintage walker the same as a POTF one? Basically the same body with different guns, right?