Author Topic: Vintage focus  (Read 22802 times)

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
Re: Vintage focus
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
Finally snagged my A-Wing Pilot on Saturday night. That was the last remaining figure to be had somewhat cheaply. The last 4 are going to be expensive (R2-D2 w/lightsaber, stormtrooper Luke, Yak Face and Blue Snags).

15  items and counting now!

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »
I put in a half-hearted bid on a Stormtrooper Luke and surprisingly won the damn thing...no other bids came in. Weird. It's not pristine by any stretch, but good enough shape to warrant some interest, I would have thought.

The seller failed to put the word "Vintage" in the auction title, so maybe that helped.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2010, 05:49:02 AM »

The seller failed to put the word "Vintage" in the auction title, so maybe that helped.

Yeah, I think the seller shot himself in the foot on that one.  Your gain.  Nice catch!

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
Snagged the Star Destroyer playset for $20 (shipping included)...not sure about the overall condition but looks pretty good and appears to be complete. One more down...13 items to go. :)

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2010, 06:05:21 AM »
Couple of decent scores last night...picked up the POTF Stormtrooper Luke coin as well as the POTF R2-D2 coin. The R2 coin was only $4, which I find remarkable given that the actual figure (w/Pop-Up lightsaber) is so expensive. It's the exact opposite of the Anakin Skywalker deal...cheap figure, super-pricey coin.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »
I think what you're dealing with in the case of Anakin Skywalker is he was widely available on Tri-logo cards which didn't have the coin.  As far as I know, the Anakin version on the POTF card was identical to that on the Tri-logo card.

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:27 AM »
I think what you're dealing with in the case of Anakin Skywalker is he was widely available on Tri-logo cards which didn't have the coin.  As far as I know, the Anakin version on the POTF card was identical to that on the Tri-logo card.

Yep, plus Anakin was originally released as a mail-away figure with no coin, so there are lots in circulation compared to the coins. I got mine a few weeks back so I am happy.

I assume it's the same deal with Yak Face, only worse. I never even see that coin up for auction, much less at an affordable price.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
I bet you're right on Yak Face and the coin.  A loose figure here in the states is expensive enough.   You know what's funny though?  With YakFace having received a general release in Europe back in the day, he wasn't all that tough to pick up cheap at flea markets and such in Europe a number of years ago.  I had a buddy who went to Germany and picked himself up one for about $10.  Even at the time, finding a loose YakFace here in the states was going to cost you a lot more than that. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
I was able to rescue a vintage walker today. Now I need to see if I can find either some repro parts or some real ones. Those are usually hard to find though. If anyone sees some reasonable chin guns or side cannons and a door I would love a pm.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »
I was able to rescue a vintage walker today. Now I need to see if I can find either some repro parts or some real ones. Those are usually hard to find though. If anyone sees some reasonable chin guns or side cannons and a door I would love a pm.

Hey Shawn i just did a quick search on the evilbay this is what came up http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=AT-AT+parts&_sacat=See-All-Categories

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
Wow, he sure wants some jack for those atat parts. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
Wow, thanks for the link, but that is way too rich for my blood. Perhaps those side guns. Clint, I wonder how a door would cast? I could see you cleaning up with some cast parts of these!

Offline McMetal

• Colonel
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2010, 05:38:09 AM »
It's amazing some of the logic people employ when bidding on those parts auctions. I am watching one right now for a vintage X-Wing canopy that is already over $20 plus shipping. You could buy the whole damn ship for that much if you're patient and observant.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
That doesn't seem uncommon,  there are so many times I see single items go for what a completed or nearly completed item will go for. I guess some folks just want to get "their" peice done, they soley focus on the missing parts

I completed a couple AT-ATs just by watching and buying imcomplete units and cheap prices, now I have a mini ATAT junkyard but it's all good.

This isn't just the case with toys, I run into this all the time with my car projects,    A good example is I saw a 1971 GS last year for parts, the car was complete with the desirable GS hood and it was $1000 bucks,   then you can find just a GS hood on ebay for 500-750 alone.   It's worse when you hit the "rare" years or models  just like SW

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2010, 04:29:58 AM »
Well Sarge I need an inside batter cover, door, the right side gun, and chin guns, but I am guessing those aren't a part of the graveyard. It is unreal the prices people are willing to pay. I know one thing the flip up canopies are just nuts if you can even find one of those. I think I may have Clint talked into trying this though.