Author Topic: Goldleaderone's Custom Vehicles  (Read 77592 times)

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
Re: Goldleaderone's Custom Vehicles
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
Very nice job on that little bugger!! :)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
What a hassle that was. I forgot when I organized my photobucket account, a lot of my pics in here were removed. I went through the thread and re-uploaded almost all the pics. I also updated my customs list on page 1. I have removed a few planned customs as I know they won't get done and I have lost interest in that specific project (there weren't many - under 5). I organized the headers, no more Rebel/Imperial/Neutral Craft headers. They are organized by size - Action Fleets, Large Scale, etc. I just skip a line to distinguish Rebel/Imperial/Neutrals.

I added a few new customs to the list, all large scale. I have a few things I'm looking to sell again on ebay. I know I'll get decent money for them. When I do, I can buy the ships and start working on them. Here's the list:

Blue Squadron Y-Wing:  This is based off the squadron that attacked the Suprosa from Shadows of the Empire. SOTE is my favorite EU story. The only "true" Blue Squad Y-Wing we have is the Action Fleet version, but its not based from Shadows. I want to buy another Gold 4 Y-Wing and repaint the gold markings blue, and paint the R5 unit red. Besides Shadows, I am basing it off a level in X-Wing Alliance as well, where you actually get to take part in the mission. In-flight, your R5 unit has red markings. The reason I want to use another Gold 4 Y-Wing - I love the weathering on it. The new Y-W has a targeting computer, and whenever I think of targeting computer, I think of the trench run from A New Hope. However I do like the orange paint job they gave on the piping of the new Y-W, and might do the same on this one.

Snowspeeder - Red/Orange markings:  A simple one. I want to get another Vintage Collection Snowspeeder and paint it with the traditional red/orange markings... providing I can find another one.

Dash Rendar's (updated) Outrider:  A ship that BADLY needs an update (looking at you too Dash!). Who's brilliant idea was it to give the Outrider features from a B-Wing?? I love the ship, but Kenner, you screwed this one up royally. It's a shame the only accurate Outrider we have is the Micro Machines version. I want to buy another one before attempting this one. Here's a link where I go in detail of what I want to do:  http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9090.0

That should be it really. Again, it'll be a few weeks before I can start up on one of these. Stay tuned.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »
Great work on the repaints.

Ron

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »
Clean work on this Horn X-Wing repaint.  Could use a bit of weathering, but you've done a marvelous job.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
Thanks guys. I feel like repaints are my strong point lol.

While I wait on some ebay auctions for ships to customize, I was going through my bin of Action Fleet parts and found two Red 3 X-Wings. On one, the wings didn't stay open properly. On the other, the engines were broken off. I took a screwdriver and opened up both, and swapped the small bands that hold the wings together from the broken one to the other. The wings stay open properly now, and I can finally start a custom I've had planned for so long but never got around to - Rookie One's Blue Three X-Wing from Rebel Assault. I never played the game, but I've always liked the character.

Stay tuned.

EDIT:  There isn't much left of the blue paint I have, and what is left looks to be a bit goopy. In the meantime I'll be working on a white Darth Vader TIE Fighter, similar to the original white TIE I painted a while back.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:25:07 PM by Goldleaderone »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
sometimes... if the paint isn't too old and it is acrylic you can add a little water to the paint... OR clear acrylic paint and mix it together to revive it a little. 

Can't wait to see it when it's done!  You know I love me some action fleet action!

I've also been watching ebay for action fleet auctions... I passed up an amazing one several months back that had several rare items in it...  I hate myself for not bidding on it... I just didn't have the money.  I think my OTC collection will never be complete :( 
I feel like, at least for the action fleet stuff, it's getting to the point in it's life where the people who are now seperating with their action fleet vehicles are of 2 types: 1) they found old toys and are trying to get rid of them (which also means they are broken, missing pieces, horrible condition, etc) or 2) they are serious collectors who know what they are worth and are asking prices reflected upon their worth (which means they are in great condition but way out of my budget!)...  and not only that... but the people doing the collecting, the people purchasing these items are the serious collectors who REALLY WANT what they are bidding on and are willing to pay those prices...  even for the crappy auctions... :/   All around I've had bad luck trying to get anything here lately... 

Sorry for the hijacking rant....

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
White Vader TIE coming along, about 90% done. Probably another day it should be done.

I thought about the water technique but I'm just afraid I'll run out of paint.   :-\

I think the hard part of doing the Blue 3 X-Wing will be painting those red rings around the engines blue. The 3 stripes won't be hard, but annoying if anything lol.

I agree with you 100% about action fleets on ebay. I've been noticing lately that they're going for a lot more then they were a few years ago. I had a similar discussion on Rebelscum the other day. It's a shame we have to resort to ebay, usually with the inflated prices now. Even the toy/collectible store in the mall over here, wanted $15 for a boxed Action Fleet Vader TIE from the Saga 2002 line. The previous week I saw a loose one on ebay for under $10. When I built my collection back up after stupidly selling them, I was very patient and even went to a few collectible shows. I picked up an Imperial Landing Craft, boxed for $10. Through another collecting site, I managed to get the green emblem-less A-wing for $15, however I found out it was the emblem-less one when I got it in the mail, so naturally I geeked out.

Just gotta be patient, eventually you'll complete your collection. I would be on ebay constantly, looking stuff up like I was doing a report for school lol. Keep at it, I got faith in ya!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2014, 03:24:52 AM »
mate if anyone can pull it off you can.
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2014, 08:19:08 AM »

Just gotta be patient, eventually you'll complete your collection. I would be on ebay constantly, looking stuff up like I was doing a report for school lol. Keep at it, I got faith in ya!

Unfortunately my bank account doesn't have faith in me!  lol.  I can't justify purchasing them....  I aught to do like you suggest and look for the individual pieces I need to complete the collection... but I tend to go after lots that have extras in them so that I can customize :P 

in my later years I've become more focused on customizing rather than collecting, so I tend to spend my money on stuff for projects instead of trying to complete a collection that is going to stay sitting on a shelf!  I get more enjoyment out of working on a unique one-off project to make them my own!  It's a struggle... lol.

as for re-painting the blue on the y-wing... have you tried using mineral spirits to remove the old paint first?  SOMETIMES that works.... other times it makes things worse.

my other recommendation would be to paint over the red with a primer color, or black first before putting down the new color.  Although when you are trying to get perfect lines and not bleed over onto other parts of the ship that can be more work than it's worth with these small scale vehicles...

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
Alright cool, I'll look into that as well. Also gonna look into the epoxy glue. I talked to wookie-balls and he gave me some pointers as well. Still a noob here when it comes to things like that.

Vader's white TIE is on hold, the damn wings were broken off. They won't fit on properly when trying to attach them back on. Always something lol. I'll look into getting another one. The paint job I did, I wasn't really too happy with either.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
I found another Outrider at the local collectible store here so I picked it up for my custom. I came home and asked my Dad for some help with cutting off the pieces I outlined before. Let's face it, I'd rather have a busted ship then lose some fingers lol. He used to do construction so he's got the proper tools. I think it came out alright. It's quite a ways away from being finished though, I still need to get the sculpting clay to fill in the gaps and I'm probably going to give it another paint job.

Spudafett and wookie-balls gave me some pointers to use epoxy glue. I've been asking them how to use it and what to do because I'm a total noob. The best part was when I asked my Dad if he's ever used it, he's said yea haha. He's used it before to glue mirrors back on cars. Anyway here's the progress so far.

The last pic is what it would look like after its connected. Overall I'm happy with how it came out so far.

Still work to do though, stay tuned.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
I was going through the Citadel paint conversion chart, they changed a lot of paint names around. A lot, if not all the paint names when I started using them are named something different now. Anyway, remember the TIE Experimental M3 custom I did from X-Wing Alliance? It was a TIE Interceptor with rocket pods on the side. I was looking at the paint chart and I finally found one or two colors that closely resemble the color of the Interceptor. I just would like some input because I'm constantly going back and forth between the two.

Celestra Gray

Fenrisian Gray

TIE Experimental M3

I honestly can't decide lol.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
Fantastic, I love any type of YT Mod. It is looking good. Pretty cool you are getting your dad involved in your project too. Off to the front page.

It is looking great so far. Keep it going!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #268 on: April 26, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »
I'm really liking this design, I'm looking forward to more WIP.

Ron

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
man! i am dead jealous! always loved the Outrider.
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms