Author Topic: Trying to update the Outrider  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Trying to update the Outrider
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
So I've been looking at the Outrider I own and realize it badly needs an update, as well as Dash for that matter. I'm a huge Shadows fan and the Outrider is one of my favorite ships. The toy itself, not so much. I've been wanting to update it so it looks a bit more accurate. For starters, I don't use the missile launcher on the side. I don't even know where it is and honestly, I don't care. Funny coming from me, as I like my ships complete. I put together a diagram of what I'd like to try to do.

The black areas are what I want to remove. The black area on the left is just me hiding the missile launcher. This is where I run into a small problem. The part where I circled in white, there's a piece on the cockpit side that slides into the area I have colored in black - but that's what I want to remove. If I remove it, there's nothing to keep the cockpit in place. I could..

A:  Superglue it, but I run the risk of it falling off at some point.
B:  Insert some screws to hold it securely (the red lines).

Any suggestions you guys may have?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:32:38 PM by Goldleaderone »
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Trying to update the Outrider
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Don't use super glue for something like this.  Walmart and most hardware stores sell some really nice two part epoxies that come in a little seringe with a mixing tube tip.  Use that!  get the 5min epoxy to give yourself more work time.  Squeeze a lot of that stuff in the joint between the cockpit and the body and it should hold firm.    It gets hot as it cures... and once it cures it's rock hard plastic.... 
sometimes it becomes brittle though...

other than that you could maybe dremel out a hole in the body and cockpit that line up, and then insert a wooden dowel peg or plastic rod to use as gluing surfaces... 

OR use styrene sheet to form some kind of joint on the outside of the ship to "patch" the two parts together....

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »
I like that first option. I didn't want to resort to drilling in screws because you might be able to see them. A buddy of mine suggested hot glue too, how well would that work?
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »
I like that first option. I didn't want to resort to drilling in screws because you might be able to see them. A buddy of mine suggested hot glue too, how well would that work?

hot glue is great for small things... but large scale parts like this that have a lot of weight to them will pull it off.  I really don't think hot glue will hold it on. 

now, if you wanted to attach a small gun, or pannel of styrene onto the hull, hot glue is a god-send. 

Definitely look into that epoxy resin glue I mentioned.  I think the stuff they sell at lowes is called "5min epoxy"