Author Topic: Hemble's Dio's 2- Endor, Enemy Contact - 1:12 15/09/2023  (Read 440207 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Hemble's Dio's 2 - Y-wing DS attack mini dio Complete P118 01/01/18
« Reply #1770 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »
Awesome looking diorama! What an epic scene...great job, Ron! Again, your working speed is epic!

- Philipp

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1771 on: January 02, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
Awesome looking diorama! What an epic scene...great job, Ron! Again, your working speed is epic!

- Philipp

Cheers Philipp.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1772 on: January 12, 2018, 09:51:29 PM »
Hi All,

Did a little Falcon dio between commissions. This depicts the Falcon escaping Hoth.

Falcon - is from Bandai and is the mini one and it was painted and weathered using Vallejo Paints and Pastel chalks.

Base - I got from the craft store and the mountains/rocks are foam just pulled apart and then watered down spakfilla was used to cover them.

I then painted and dry brushed them using Vallejo Paints and then I added the snow by watering down spakilla till in was a pancake consistency and then applied it with a brush.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1773 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
4 more

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1774 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:38 PM »
last 2

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Hemble's Dio's 2 - Escaoing Hoth mini dio Complete P119 13/01/18
« Reply #1775 on: January 13, 2018, 01:58:20 AM »
Another impressive project, Ron! Paintjob on the Falcon and the diorama are outstanding as always!
Thanks a lot for the how-to description!

Good to see you're having a great weekend!

- Philipp

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Hemble's Dio's 2 - Escaoing Hoth mini dio Complete P119 13/01/18
« Reply #1776 on: January 13, 2018, 02:43:19 AM »
Another impressive project, Ron! Paintjob on the Falcon and the diorama are outstanding as always!
Thanks a lot for the how-to description!

Good to see you're having a great weekend!

- Philipp

Thanks heaps Philipp and my pleasure mate if they recipe can hep other people I'm happy and yeah having a great weekend thanks buddy, hope you are as well.

Ron

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Re: Hemble's Dio's 2 - Escaping Hoth mini dio Complete P119 13/01/18
« Reply #1777 on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:06 AM »
Y-Wing dio:
The Y-Wing dio looks amazing Ron. So many details.
Paint job and weathering are perfect.

Mini Falcon dio:
The snow looks very realistic. Thank you for the instructions.
It is amazing how detailed the small Bandai Falcon is.

Excellent work my friend.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1778 on: January 13, 2018, 05:10:17 AM »
Y-Wing dio:
The Y-Wing dio looks amazing Ron. So many details.
Paint job and weathering are perfect.

Mini Falcon dio:
The snow looks very realistic. Thank you for the instructions.
It is amazing how detailed the small Bandai Falcon is.

Excellent work my friend.

Thanks heaps buddy and you are correct the details that Bandai get into these little kits is amazing to say the least.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1779 on: January 13, 2018, 05:51:45 AM »
Hi All,

As some of you know I have been wanting to do a 1:12 Death Star dio with 6 - 7 levels with different scene's from ANH. The problem I have is to do 6 - 7 levels it will cost a small fortune to buy walls or get them printed 3D or laser cut on MDF.

I mate of mine has a set of GTP Toys DS walls and he took a few photo's and printed them off and sent them to me. Now I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of printed walls but I took 2 hours tonight and put this little dio together and I was very surprised how it looks.(Good Surprised)

What are your thoughts on the printed walls guys/gals? 

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1780 on: January 13, 2018, 05:52:31 AM »
last 3

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1781 on: January 13, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
Wow, great Hoth Dio. Off to share it and your great  DS Dio too.

I think the walls are great btw.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #1782 on: January 13, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
I think that's the overall cheapest and quickest way to build bigger sections of the DS...The printing quality of your pieces is remarkable especially despite the fact they're based on photos not high-res scans! On the other hand photo-printing can also be expensive. As a student I got to print a lot recently. I also got a laser printer which cost me $210 and each reload costs another $170...not even talking about paper.

Again, that's a very nice idea! If the paper/foam construction is stable enough for up to 7 levels, go for it! They look really good like that!

Plastic walls on the other hand add a little more depth to the diorama (speaking about the walls structure). The shiny/glossy floor is very authentic, but the printed walls are also shiny/glossy whereas they're mat in the movies.
I know 3D printed walls (like Spacewalls) are still expensive. But here is my idea:

For such a big project I think I would order a full set of spacewalls and then make silicone molds out of them so that you can reproduce these walls as often as you want! The molds would be similar to the mold I made for my Tatooine buildings' door tread:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10155.60

That process takes much time and money, but once you got the molds, you can pour the walls in sufficient quantities. And painting them is also time-consuming...but the result would pay off.
That would be a combination of digital/computer and conventional production of diorama parts.
You could also add lights  behind the walls, too!

Cheers!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:20:28 AM by legion078 »

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #1783 on: January 13, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
The printed walls give me nostalgia and reminds me when I first came across nuibnuibs universe. Looks good man.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #1784 on: January 13, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
Wow, great Hoth Dio. Off to share it and your great  DS Dio too.

I think the walls are great btw.

Thanks heaps Shawn and I figured you would liked the Hoth dio.

I think that's the overall cheapest and quickest way to build bigger sections of the DS...The printing quality of your pieces is remarkable especially despite the fact they're based on photos not high-res scans! On the other hand photo-printing can also be expensive. As a student I got to print a lot recently. I also got a laser printer which cost me $210 and each reload costs another $170...not even talking about paper.

Again, that's a very nice idea! If the paper/foam construction is stable enough for up to 7 levels, go for it! They look really good like that!

Plastic walls on the other hand add a little more depth to the diorama (speaking about the walls structure). The shiny/glossy floor is very authentic, but the printed walls are also shiny/glossy whereas they're mat in the movies.
I know 3D printed walls (like Spacewalls) are still expensive. But here is my idea:

For such a big project I think I would order a full set of spacewalls and then make silicone molds out of them so that you can reproduce these walls as often as you want! The molds would be similar to the mold I made for my Tatooine buildings' door tread:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10155.60

That process takes much time and money, but once you got the molds, you can pour the walls in sufficient quantities. And painting them is also time-consuming...but the result would pay off.
That would be a combination of digital/computer and conventional production of diorama parts.
You could also add lights  behind the walls, too!

Cheers!

- Philipp

Cheers Philipp, my mate doe's a lot of photo's and doe's a lot of photo shop work so I was stoked when he said he would send me pics.

This is by far the cheapest way of doing a large DS dio and I can get copies for free so that is a bonus especially seeing how many I will need LOL.

I would love to buy a set of the walls but to be honest the price is a lot especially converting it from US to Aussie dollars and 3D printing was my first choice but the prices people wanted to do a print again to me was a way to expensive.

The way I will making the dio it will be stackable and built 80% from foam board and there will be reinforcements thru the levels to support each other.

The printed walls give me nostalgia and reminds me when I first came across nuibnuibs universe. Looks good man.

Thanks buddy and yeah they do and I looked at using nuibnuibs prints but couldn't get the resolution to look great, I have sent them to my mate that did these walls so I'll see what he comes up with as nuibnuibs prints have blast doors etc which would be great on the dio.

Ron