Poll

Please vote for your favorite entry into the challenge!

Starchaser - Teacher/Jedi Me
Spudafett - SOTE 6" Swoop Bike with Rider
Jaya - Inquisitor Jaya
Mandalore25 - Basilisk War Droid
I-am-Boba-Fett - Imperial Patrol Skiff
HALCION - 6"LV-LS SPEEDER w Pilot

Author Topic: Star Wars Self Custom/Scratch-built Vehicle Challenge  (Read 45361 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Star Wars Self Custom/Scratch-built Vehicle Challenge
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »
Ground or space worthy ship or vehicle, this one is also wide open too. Feel free to create an orignial design, kitbash two or more existing ships together, build it from the ground up, etc. Keep one dimension at least 6" long (if its close include a pic of your finished vehicle beside a ruler for scale) for at least one side as this can be done in pretty much any scale. Remember, this one can be metal, plastic, wood or a combination in between. Any Star Wars Verse is fair game too (including what is now being referred to as LEGENDS, but what most of us still call Expanded Universe). I can't wait to see what folks do for this one. Feel free to include any reference images so we can see how close or what your inspiration was

Does that mean, that only "pure" scratch-built vehicles are allowed or are also massive improved "out of the box" Hasbro models allowed ?

Create an orignial design, kitbash two or more existing ships together, build it from the ground up, etc. Keep one dimension at least 6" long

We were thinking more along the lines of scratch-built but you could bash as least two or even more Hasbro type ships together to come up with a new design (like the uglies I have seen).

In other words no simple re-paints?  Must be more involved than a re-painted stock vehicle.

I might have to drag out the old customizing supplies for this one...  I've been wanting to do a 6" scale tie fighter for a while since seeing halicon's...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 02:35:18 AM »

In other words no simple re-paints?  Must be more involved than a re-painted stock vehicle.

Yes, that is correct.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »
I was originally going to work on doing a 6" scale royal guard tie fighter... but I just don't think I have the patience or materials to pull that off right now.

I'm instead going to be working on a new speeder bike for the 6" line.  I just happened to buy 2 new speeders and scouts for 10 bucks a piece from walmart.com this week... I might use them for parts or build one from scratch, depending on the design I decide on...

I am giving serious thought to re-creating the SOTE swoop in 6inch scale.  I haven't seen anyone do that one yet...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »
Sounds like a cool idea to me Devin. I think its about time I did a challenge reminder on the front page too.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »
Though I'd show some pics now that my Basilisk War Droid is coming together, and the final entry day is only 16 days away! Glad I have all the pieces, now I just need to make sure I get it all put together before before the 24th.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 02:33:19 AM »
Wow only one entry?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 04:30:19 AM »
Nice update. Wow, only 16 days, where did the time go?

Offline AjuntaPall

• Captain
  • Thought is the cause of it ALL!
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 02:10:19 PM »
Wow Mandalore25 I canr wait to see how your basilisk comes out. I've always wanted to make one just never sure how to go about it. Maybe yours will inspire me to finally do one of my own.
THE FORCE is strong with this one...

Roger Roger....

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
Nice update. Wow, only 16 days, where did the time go?

I know, summer is just flying by!

Wow Mandalore25 I canr wait to see how your basilisk comes out. I've always wanted to make one just never sure how to go about it. Maybe yours will inspire me to finally do one of my own.

My inspiration was just dumb luck, my extra Mandroid Marvel legends build a figure torso just happened to be set upside down near my Basilisk War Droid Miniature, walked by them one day, and thought "The Mandroid body looks perfect for the war droid." So inspiration's everywhere, would be really cool to inspire you Ajunta, bet your's would be cool too.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 02:57:02 PM »
The basilisk looks great!  I've always wanted to build one of these myself... started one a while back using a transformer ravage as a base and then never finished it.  Yours looks off to a great start.

Idk if I'm going to ever get around to building my swoop.  Projects have taken a backburner after a week of helping parents with housework, setting up my classroom for the quickly approaching school year, designing new curriculum for my classes, attending summer online courses... and add a new girlfriend on top of all that and motivation/desire to do customs has dissapeared. lol.    Maybe I'll get the motivation to work on it some in the next couple of weeks.  I may still make it into the contest yet.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
Mandalore25, the basilisk is coming along nicely. It looks like a lot of work, but it also looks great so far.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
Add a new girlfriend is great Devin!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
So...I was planning to build myself as a figure and do a scratch vehicle build for myself (as a figure). I have assembled all the parts for the vehicle, but time is against me and there is virtually no way to finish the vehicle before the deadline - I might just have to finish it at the end of the summer and post it post-contest. In the meantime, I have done figures of myself (the real me and the Star Wars me). I've been told by several people that I somewhat resemble Ewan McGregor, so that is convenient. Anyway, I've got a figure of myself in lecture mode and a figure of myself as  Jedi.

The teacher me and the Jedi me together:

The teacher me:

The Jedi me:

and finally, the reference picture:

I've always liked the idea of the Jedi being more like the Knights Templar or Hospitallers than the monastic/Shao Lin portrayal they wound up having in the prequels. So my alter ego (named Jenn Starchaser) is armored with a tunic and is happy to use weaponry beyond the "light sword." I will probably add a Senate commando helmet (painted in white and blue) when I acquire one at a reasonable price, though the jury is still out - and perhaps a concept Stormtrooper shield.

Recipes:
Me as me: ROTS Obi-Wan head; Professor X body; glasses and book from Dr. Jones Sr.

Me as Jenn:
     Head = VC Obi-Wan
     Arms and Legs = Imperial EVO trooper
     Torso = POTJ Qui-Gon in Jedi Training Gear
     Belt/tunic bottom = POTJ Obi-Wan in Cold Weather Gear

So there you have it - sorry its a long post;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:15:53 PM by Starchaser »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 04:27:49 AM »
Nice, I like that you did two figures, makes them more interesting, like a superhero, and his secret identity. Neat thoughts on jedi, and a jedi that implements other weapons is called a Jedi Weapon Master, they're pretty neat, using all sorts of weapons.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 05:52:23 AM »
Starchaser, you look like a young Obi Wan for sure! Great entries!

I need to interrupt comic con to get an update on the front page.