Author Topic: *NEW* X-WING ALLIANCE - Chapter 23 - Secret Weapons of the Empire  (Read 7396 times)

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
Re: *NEW* X-WING ALLIANCE - Chapter 23 - Secret Weapons of the Empire
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 05:40:16 AM »
Sir Jules,

If I am partly to "blame" for your photonovel, then I take full responsibility for such an amazing work. I'm humbled to have been any sort of inspiration.

I wouldn't sweat the feedback, and I'm not sure that simply customizing would increase the feedback. Customizing is a strange hobby right now. I can create 5 to 7 new customs for my photonovel (as I did recently) and barely get any response. Not slamming YF by any means, but I ended up commenting on my own customs to try to stir a reaction, and I got one comment. I think the issue is that since my photonovel (and yours would fall into this same vein) is set during the timing of the OT and it is based upon established OT characters many customizers are just not intersted in seeing a new alien A-Wing pilot or Luke in a new outfit, etc. However, if you simply do a custom paint job on a Clone or mix-match parts from Boba & Jango Fett to get a new Mandalorian, then BAM it's feedback heaven. I may just start listing all of my updates as "NEW CLONE CUSTOM" or "NEW MANDALORIAN BOUNTY HUNTER CUSTOM" and see what happens. And so, because Justin's photonovel (although first set in the PT and now the intermediate period between trilogies) is a totally original story about a totally original character, I think he tends to generate more feedback than anyone else. Which I'm not taking anything away from Justin, he deserves all the props for his hard work; I just wish those who comment on one photonovel would at least make some comment of support for the rest. I've been guilty in the past of not reading or commenting on a photonovel because it deals with post ROTJ stuff or Clone Wars (which I'm not interested in at all), but I've tried hard this year to at least make some comment of support for any photonovel regardless of the storyline.

Jason

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
Daggone Jules this new style just gets me more interested, as if that were possible.

I love the new cgi work.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
I have noticed the move in XWA towards more CGI and away from straight customs.  It didn't surprise me, nor did it offend/upset/offput me.  It really has moved into the story needing the visuals to support it, rather than the customs needing a story to tell.  XWA is simply *amazing* artistry and great fun to read.  It boggles my mind to think of how much work has to go into each frame we get.

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
Guys, the support I get here is very appreciated, especially since posting a week ago this has only received 2 comments on RS and YF combined. I don't do it for the feedback however knowing that there are people out there who enjoy this work is the bonus that keeps me motivated, so thanks everyone..

Doc, in truth the really hard work is in writing the story. George Lucas ha been know to comment on the fact that he found the writing side of making Star Wars the hardest part and I know what he means. Making sure everything is historically correct, making the characters seem credible and developing the story around the game framework is very difficult, the art is the fun stuff. Introducing the CGI characters helps the writing as I am now able to add more expression, it also takes this piece of work squarely into the Graphic Novel genre.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »
Only 2 comments? I think anyone who has dabbled in either trying to write a story or done any graphics work can semi realize the work that went into this. Glad you found us Jules. And we so appreciate the exclusives and the great story too.

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 05:22:17 AM »
Dude, the feeling is mutual!

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:51 AM »
Sir Jules,

I wasn't going to mention the feedback on other sites, but since you brought it up. I "washed my hands" of the photonovel section at RS over a year ago. I haven't even been in that forum to see what gets posted because I was so discouraged at the lack of feeback over the years. I'm just about there with the custom figures and dioramas sections too. A month or so ago I posted pics of new custom figures at YF and ISY and just chose not to even bother with RS. I know forum activity changes over the years. Years ago SSG use to be THE forum for news, customs, etc.; but I don't think I posted there in 2 or 3 years because it seems the forum has become a ghost town. I'm afraid a couple of other forums may be headed in that direction.

Thankfully, I, JLW515, was the FIRST and ONLY person to have commented on XWA over at YF. The thing that just bugs the crap out of me is when I go to YF to see if any new responses have been made and I can see that more people have viewed it (up to 39 views last time I checked), and still I'm the only person who responded??!! What the frickety frak is the problem??!! I would hope that at least the other photonovelist would make a comment. Ya know, each of us showing support for the other because we're all involved in the hobbie.

Like I've said before (see above post) is that the only thing I can think of is the genre of the photonovel. Being that XWA and "Vader's Quest" are both set in the OT, it may not appeal to younger fans. I, personally, am not interested in photonovels concerning Clone troopers, Mandalorians, cloned Emperors, but the two or three guys that are writing photonovels in this genre I at least try to make a comment about the photography, graphics, or something.

Anyway, hats off to ISY for the support of photonovels and customizers. It seems like everyday there is a new custom spotlight on the front page or there's a mention of a photonovel on Facebook.

Jason

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 07:44:04 AM »
Doc, in truth the really hard work is in writing the story. George Lucas ha been know to comment on the fact that he found the writing side of making Star Wars the hardest part and I know what he means. Making sure everything is historically correct, making the characters seem credible and developing the story around the game framework is very difficult, the art is the fun stuff. Introducing the CGI characters helps the writing as I am now able to add more expression, it also takes this piece of work squarely into the Graphic Novel genre.

And see - to me, writing is a LOT easier than visual art!  I think if/when I start into the realm of "graphic fiction," I'll be following more of an "illustrated novel" path, where it is mostly writing with the occasional pic as eye-candy.  I'm *trying* to look at a Fixer story I started more thru the eyes of a graphic-novelist and *to me* the hardest part is paring down my words to only what can't be shown in a pic.  I try to write to the "show, don't tell" philosophy, so that helps - I aim my writing to paint mental pics in the reader's mind that can be staged in front of the camera.  And that whole "engagement of the senses" is very challenging for me to do visually - especially since I tend to have a very distinct mental image of what I want to show, and my customizing skills may not yet be up to it!

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
I didn't think you could take your XWA series to an even further level of awesome, but you proved me wrong. This was mind-blowing with the new CGI elements. What software/process do you use to create CGI characters?

Amazing screenshots, amazing story, amazing renders. A truly epic piece of art.