Author Topic: X-WING ALLIANCE - Chapter 22 - "Rise of the Veiled Peril"  (Read 9130 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
X-Wing Alliance home: www.xwa-webcomic.com
FlippBook Format: http://publ.com/zlhM0xw#/1/

Did anyone spot the Millennium Falcon?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:21:12 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline wheeljack

• Lieutenant
Re: X-WING ALLIANCE - Chapter 22 - "Rise of the Veiled Peril"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
those TIE fighters are cool

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
16 views and only 1 reply???? Come on folks!!!!

Jules, just echoing what I've already said over at Yakface, but man your photonovel is just brilliantly stunning. I couldn't imagine the number of layers there are to each picture. What folks don't understand is that putting together a photo of a space battle, if the image you are using doesn't already have (say for example) "after burner glow," then all of that stuff has to be added. All the glows on the walls, floors, etc. on interior shots - that all has to be layered into the shot if it's not already there in the source material.

So, I just couldn't imagine how much time you spend on a chapter - just the visuals; not including working out the dialogue!!

I really like the Imperial base being hidden in the cloud/midst. It reminds me of the Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactica premier where there was an outpost inside some sort of cloud.

Excellent work, great beginning to a new series.

Jason

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »
Jason, thanks for your comment of support.

Yes while it is true that some images have over 100 layers and shapes I often copy and re-angle the same layer several times. For example the space battle images where there is debris and explosions everywhere have only a few basic elements, each one is copied, re sized
, re coloured and adjusted to make them look different, so an image that looks really complex took only a few minutes to create.

Digital artists who make the Clone Wars TV  show also use the same trick, re using room sets and textures time and time again in different episodes...

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
Jason, thanks for your comment of support.

Yes while it is true that some images have over 100 layers and shapes I often copy and re-angle the same layer several times. For example the space battle images where there is debris and explosions everywhere have only a few basic elements, each one is copied, re sized
, re coloured and adjusted to make them look different, so an image that looks really complex took only a few minutes to create.

Digital artists who make the Clone Wars TV  show also use the same trick, re using room sets and textures time and time again in different episodes...

Glad there is a "trick to the trade"! There so many elements to your photos, it's just incredible! Like when the X-Wings come out of hyperspace and see all the carnage, you've got these explosions and ship pieces, and then in the middle is this blurred image of some sort of freighter which looks like it's moving across the picture. Just amazing. I am just beginning to understand a lot of this layering stuff with the chapter I'm currently working on.

Jason

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
Jason, once you start working with layers the fun really begins...the image you mentioned has two main elements or layers, those two layers have been reshaped and moved to make it look like a far more complex image. Also there are only two explosions, again I've reshaped and copied them to fill out the image. Those same layers are used in all of the accompanying images. The whole sequence of panels took around 6 hours.

If you ever need resource images I've got a massive library... just pm me!

J
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:58:28 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
Great chapter!  Caught the MF attached to the Nebulon-B in one of the early frames...love that new TIE...what're you going to call that one?

Interesting to see how much digital layering goes into the production of your work; makes it that much more impressive to understand how time-consuming this is and how patient you have to be.  I most certainly appreciate your work!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
Great chapter!  Caught the MF attached to the Nebulon-B in one of the early frames...love that new TIE...what're you going to call that one?

Well done for spotting.the falcon! I had this picture of Lando and Chewie getting ready to leave the fleet as that image was coming together.

The tie is called the Tie Experimental X1, code named Bizarro by the Alliance... It's the first mass produced droid fighter since the Clone Wars, It packs a high powered Turbo Laser, quad ion drives a remote triggered hyperdrive and a powerful droid brain. I'll surely be adding it to the craft database in the resource forum.

I am glad you are enjoying the story and images, I certainly had a lot of fun creating this chapter.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:01:00 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
Oh yeah, its a good day when a new chapter is posted. I am gonna take some time this evening to sit down and read this and give a proper reply. Thanks for sharing this Jules!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
Another amazing chapter in this epic saga! Jules, you are really creating some amazing pages with these latast chapters. They just keep getting better and better! Amazing artistry and story telling! Thanks so much for all the time and effort you have put into this project! Thanks for sharing!

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
Thanks Master Spry!

I really enjoyed putting this chapter together, I am glad you enjoyed it too!

Offline BL4CK5H33P

• Mandalorian Madman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Mandalorians wear the finest armor blood can buy"
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
Thank you Jules for this... it is just awe-inspiring storytelling... I thank the maker for folks like you, who push this hobby into the realm of art... this is fandom @ it's finest :)
Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live & die on this day. How we die is equal to how we live. Once more into the breach, my friends, once more, or we close the walls up with our dead...

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »
Thank you Jules for this... it is just awe-inspiring storytelling... I thank the maker for folks like you, who push this hobby into the realm of art... this is fandom @ it's finest :)

BL4CK5H33P, thanks so much for your wonderful comment, when I started making photo novels it was the story telling that I was most fearful of getting wrong. I am glad you enjoyed this episode! Like I said before this one was probably the most fun putting together, so it's good to know others enjoy it too!

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
just excellent! as said in another thread I so much love your way of visualisation, how you use light, point-of-views, out-of-focus .... if this would be a printed novel I would buy it!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
So very cool!!! Even more great work Jules  0/