Author Topic: Another fix to the common broken leg joint to the Walmart AT-ST  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Another fix to the common broken leg joint to the Walmart AT-ST
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
Sometime ago, I had fixed this common broken joint for one member and this weekend, i got another one in the mail to patch up. This one will be a bit more tricky as it is in three pieces instead of two and there is some build up of glue from an attempted fix to the part that I will have to remove to get the pieces to fit together right.
  On the backside of the joint piece, in the hole of the mushroom shaped octagonal peg, is the culprit of why the corrisponding part of the joint is prone to shatter. The little thin strip of plastic inside which serves as a spreader to the mushroom peg makes the peg too ridged over time, causing the joint to lock up. That strip will have to have a fine cut rendered in it's middle without removing it to allow freedom of joint movement but keep it ridged enough to not become loose.
  in the final shot, you can see the area where I will have to remove glue build up to allow these two pieces to fit together flush. I will continue to document my progress of this fix in the coming week.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Another fix to the common broken leg joint to the Walmart AT-ST
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:24 AM »
I will be following this thread. On the front page and on FB.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
Thanks in advance Clint! Sorry for the glue but he was pretty depressed when it first broke and I wanted to ease his pain asap. Little background story: Lucas actually earned the money for this when our across the street neighbor invited him to do some yardwork for some cash. He obliged her and to his surprise she gave him $50! He was pretty excited and the ATST was the first thing he thought to get with it as he actually could afford to get one. He had wanted one pretty badly especially after seeing the one that my buddy Dave had and how cool it was with the super artyed legs and all. He will be very appreciative to get it fixed I know!  [at1]

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
My pleasure, Chad. I will do my best to do a good job but you will see it when it happens. This is my last week of working an hour and a half from home so progress may go slowly until I get laid off.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »
No worries take your time!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
sorry for the delay on this. I ended up fixing the broken part of this one twice. The first time, it looked great but I had forgot to free up the frozen joint first and in freeing that up, I trashed the first fix so I ended up drilling and pinning it together again.
  I tried cutting the expansion pin on the back side of the mushroom peg like before but it was still froze up tight so I had to work the peg out of it's socket and loosen it by filing the peg and receiving hole sides down, angle by angle until it was loose enough to turn in the socket.
  Man, this joint is a serious pain in the butt. Any way, it is working now and the part is back together and only needs 2-3 coats of paint to look right again.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
Looking good there Clint. Daggone glad I am to have you around.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:11:33 AM »
Looking good there Clint. Daggone glad I am to have you around.
Me too! Great work on this just sorry it turned out to be a pain :(