Author Topic: TOR Combined Sites Custom Contest  (Read 51033 times)

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
Re: TOR Combined Sites Custom Contest
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Great work! This is going to be another awesome contest.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »
very cool!  simple, yet effective.

Thanks. That's actually my philosophy when making customs. Partly it's a bit economical, but also partly because I want to make sure I keep the same spirit/style as Hasbro. I might try to redo Githany when I get time. I couldn't find a female with the type of long, flowing hair she has.

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
very cool!  simple, yet effective.

Thanks. That's actually my philosophy when making customs. Partly it's a bit economical, but also partly because I want to make sure I keep the same spirit/style as Hasbro. I might try to redo Githany when I get time. I couldn't find a female with the type of long, flowing hair she has.

Try some of the Marvel line of characters.  Kitty Pride?  Black Widow?  Also, there's that female character from the latest Pirates line of figures.  I'm using her for some customs I'm hoping to have done soon.  Stay on the look out for them.

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
Just a stupid question here...can the three customs be something like three Sith, two Jedi and a Sith, a Sith and two droids? Just trying to get a feel of where to go with my ideas.

As long as its TOR its a go!
Thanks for helping me get that straight in my head. :)

Offline RC0379.Marev

• Cadet
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Just a stupid question here...can the three customs be something like three Sith, two Jedi and a Sith, a Sith and two droids? Just trying to get a feel of where to go with my ideas.

As long as its TOR its a go!

Could you be more specific please?

I get the impression that the spirit of the contest is to make characters from the timeline/perspective of the mmorpg....as if they could be in that game or something like that? or is it just any character from any period of the republic prior to the prequel trilogy? For example, the previous entries regarding Darth Bane are from an "older" republic than what we see with Qui Gon and the Council in the movies but Bane wasn't even born until about 2400 years after the events in the mmorpg "the old republic" take place....so it seems like something of a grey area....

please advise?

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
I agree with Marev, having clearer boundaries would be quite helpful. While "The Old Republic" era spans millennia, I too was under the assumption it was about the timeframe of LucasArts/Bioware's new MMORPG.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
This is the info I got over at Yakface:

darthcrassus wrote:
And does TOR include KOTOR and the Bane novels, or only the TOR MMO? If the latter, I actually haven't played TOR yet but will try to make something based off the promotional images I've seen. (Sorry for asking so many questions.)

Yep, it includes anything from the novels and games of that era, or of just your own imagination!

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
Just my two cents, so take it for what it might be worth, I would assume anything TOR would start around the time of the Darth Bane novels and move as far back as the beginning of the SW universe. I could be totally wrong, but that is the feeling I am getting. This would include Nomi Sunrider, Exar Kun, Cassus Fett, Revan, Malak, Bane, Satal and Aleema Keto, Marka Ragnos, etc... On Wookieepedia the TOR era begins around 25,053 BBY and ends around 1000 BBY.  That covers A LOT of time and opens this contest to great deal of variety. I hope this helps and hope I have been accurate in my information. Good customizing to all!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:15:37 PM by Mungo Baobab »

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
Ok, my two cents.  I believe the Old Republic should be up until the formation of the Empire.  Just saying.  Either way it does cover a LOT of material.

Offline RC0379.Marev

• Cadet
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

darthcrassus wrote:
And does TOR include KOTOR and the Bane novels, or only the TOR MMO? If the latter, I actually haven't played TOR yet but will try to make something based off the promotional images I've seen. (Sorry for asking so many questions.)

Yep, it includes anything from the novels and games of that era, or of just your own imagination!

wow, so not really a theme at all, just kind of a vague date range then?

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »

darthcrassus wrote:

Well, both KOTOR (Knights of "the Old Republic") and Bane (the subtitle states: a novel of "the Old Republic") are explicitly set in the Old Republic era.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
Just my two cents, so take it for what it might be worth, I would assume anything TOR would start around the time of the Darth Bane novels and move as far back as the beginning of the SW universe. I could be totally wrong, but that is the feeling I am getting. This would include Nomi Sunrider, Exar Kun, Cassus Fett, Revan, Malak, Bane, Satal and Aleema Keto, Marka Ragnos, etc... On Wookieepedia the TOR era begins around 25,053 BBY and ends around 1000 BBY.  That covers A LOT of time and opens this contest to great deal of variety. I hope this helps and hope I have been accurate in my information. Good customizing to all!

Correct, that was the intention.  We wanted to keep the theme kind of broad to help encourage participation.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »

I definitely see it as a theme; just not a narrow one... as in this era (while broad), there's a lot of a design differences between that whole era and the prequel/OT/Legacy era. 

And for anyone confused if a specific character falls in line as eligible, I don't think we're going to be too strict - everyone is free to use their imagination, etc. - and fan fiction characters are a great way to go about this; the ones I made before this launched were to help throw ideas out there for people who don't know the established characters in TOR and might feel it's easier to try and make something from their own imagination.  Maybe create a few cool looking ancient droids, Mandalorians from the TOR design style, Jedi with the "look" of TOR, etc.

Offline RC0379.Marev

• Cadet
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »

In the memory of Mercury Art Studios, the following sites are working together to bring to the customizing community a joint customizing event:

http://www.echobasenews.com
http://www.imperialshipyards.net
http://www.yakface.com

There is an Evolutions theme, based on the game, "The Old Republic " - in order to participate, please adhere to the following rules:

Rule #1 - In order to be eligible, all entries much have some sort of "Evolutions" theme (meaning all three need to be related to TOR), with three new custom figures entered into the contest that were made solely for this event.  They must be posted in the dedicated thread in the forums at either http://www.echobaseforums.com, http://www.imperialshipyards.com, or http://www.yakfaceforums.com and be posted in the dedicated thread before the deadline, which is 11:59 PM Central Standard Time, Monday April 30, 2012.

i guess my concern is the above, which states the contest is "an Evolutions theme, based on the game, The Old Republic". So, that seems fairly straight forward. However, the rules as written are now being reinterpreted as to be based on the Time period of "The Old republic"...this is a vastly different thing as it spans roughly 24000 years of Star Wars history...I just find it makes me uneasy to read stated "rules" saying one thing, and then being executed as something else.

Maybe it's just my OCD talking.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
When this was in the early stages, Mike had wanted an Evolutions theme contest to have some sort of a theme, but not too narrow that it might limit participation.  I guess we didn't explain that well enough, which is my fault.

So, as long as there's a TOR tie in, I think that's all that is being asked of any participants.  For example, if you take into account that characters such as Darth Malak and Darth Revan have a lot of exposure in the timeline on the official TOR game website, in my view, this reference helps open the freedom to customizers that we are hoping to grant.

Hopefully things are more clear now.  We're not trying to evolve the rules; just explain them a little better.