Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 160243 times)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
That sounds like a cool project.
I'm excited to see the finished figure.

Re. camo patterns you might find this site interesting: http://www.camotest.de/gallery/index.php
Don't worry about the site being in German (no, it is not MY site in case you wondered), just look at the pattern names in the table on the left hand side for a pic of the pattern and its application in natural settings.
It might give you an idea for a dio or vignette as well.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2009, 06:54:08 AM »
Never said it was better....
Just what it was.....

Sorry, Dana - just havin fun with ya.  ;D 

CADPAT is another really neat digital camo pattern.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
I dont like it...
I just have to wear it everyday when I go to work.
Makes picking your outfit really easy everyday.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2009, 10:50:43 PM »
Saves you a lot of time, really.
Hey Dana, check this out: http://www.claw-gear.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=14
I'm consulting for NWM Technologies and the outfit shown is one of our latest products. It's not airsoft gear, but for the Professional who requires a touch more than what he gets issued. It's available in your pattern as well.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
tha t is some really great looking stuff.
Might need to look into this further in the future.
My wife says" Ach, du scheisse, Verdammt Armee dosekopf. hell NO you not gettin dis."

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »
If you're really nice to me, I can arrange a sample set of these for you...
PM inbound.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2009, 08:53:06 AM »
stop threadjacking! lol naw it's ok...

man I've got to get on the ball and take some decent pics of the things I've got done.

I'm compiling a set of backgrounds to print out and use for photographing figures, anyone know of some good ones?  I'd like to have at least a few that look like the bridge of ships and such.  I'll start a thread of them eventually for others to use too.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #307 on: August 21, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
I thought I'd post my swoop bike here as well just so that my stuff is still all together in the same thread later on when the contest's thread get's pushed back to the bottom of the list.

Spudafett's Planetary Vehicle and Rider contest entry:

For this contest I wanted to make a bike from scratch or close to scratch.  I also wanted my figure to be a Gi-joe based figure customized to fit into the star wars universe.  In the course of this project I started with my rider first. 

For my rider I used a gi-joe 25th aniversary para viper for the base figure.

I started with a lower leg and foot swap as the original's lower legs had been sculpted to clip on flippers...

I added several details, including a clone trooper's shoulder pauldron which was trimmed down. I added little greeblie bits with some red wireing and a removable cape.  The cape has a new feature I tried out and will be using from now on.  It's an old boba fett cape and has a copper wire strung through it so that it can be posed in a "flapping" position.
   I wanted this figure to realy be equipped for swoop bike racing.  I realy liked the look of the shoulder and knee pads of the para viper and thought the pauldron added to that.  BUT what about high atmospheric flights?  I took a removable clone helmet and trimmed it down so that only the lower half remained and fitted a range finder to the side.  A repaint later and I have a respirator that looks realy good on my rider.  I also figured he'd need a back up oxygen supply so I trimmed down a Assassin Droid's backpack and made a canister which fits into the figures back peg hole.
  As this will be the leader of my biker gang I wanted to decide on a color scheme that the whole gang would use.  Red and Black was decided upon.  Several details were brought out with red and silver detailing.

ok enough explaining here are some pics of just the rider:
Some of these pics were taken early on and the flash brought out a few spots of missed paint, which were fixed about half way through my photo session.  The final figure doesn't have any purple showing through and is completely painted.   :( I guess I should have retaken the pictures...

ok, you've already got a few glimpses of his custom swoop.  let me explain a little bit about it first and then you can see some pics. 

Go back to the top and look again at the wip photo of the figure.  See that engine laying in front of him?  I took that from a 1:18 scale die-caste model car.  I believe it was a maisito (sp?) model.  Anyway, I used it as a starting base and started from there fitting parts together.  I wanted his swoop to slightly resemble an "S-swoop" but look like it'd been stripped down to almost nothing but a motor, a seat, and steering vanes.  In essence this is a super light, super fast, racing swoop. 

I also wanted to have a couple weopons encorporated into the speeder and have a set of saddle bags or pouches on it.  The weopons include one blaster cannon on the speeder, a swoord (vibroblade?) for the rider to use, as well as a holster for a blaster pistol.

You guys remember the wip teaser pics I put up eirlier?

That astromech's head... well it didn't get to be an astromech any more.  Try to find it in the finished speeder:

"pickin up chicks"

I hope you guys enjoyed that.  I know I realy enjoyed building and creating both the figure and the swoop especially.  It's probably the first from scratch vehicle that I've made that actually turned out looking realy good (in my critical eye).  Now I know I used existing components and didn't make it completely from scratch like the mando chick's bike I did before with just sheet styrene... I hope noone was disapointed I didn't do it that way ;) 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:16:41 PM by spudafett »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #308 on: August 22, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »
youngling/padawan jedi. 

this figure is based on the ahsoka tano body with a old gi-joe scarlett Valor-vs-venom head spliced on. 

oh yeah, I did do a little sculpting on her figure...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
customized BAD dark trooper

i was unsatisfied with the dark trooper's overal construction.  Mostly with the head only swiveling side to side.  So I fixed that.  And for a dark trooper I thought that the original's paint scheme was too light! lol so a repaint was in order:

so, is it improved or did I ruin a very expensive figure?! lol

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #310 on: August 22, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Oh yeah, I think it looks much tougher. I like the darker color too. Sweet upgrade Devon.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #311 on: August 22, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
Yep, he sure does look badder now, Devon. I like his added poseability also. That's also another cool chick figure that you got going in there.

Offline Cubanpete24

• Ensign
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »
really cool darktrooper, looks much more badass.

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
Wicked cool work on this Darktrooper. I dig the heck out of it.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
After looking at it finished I think he needs some hoses or wires or something coming out of his head down into the shoulders right beneath the neck... to fill in the "empty" space between the head and shoulder area.  the neck almost looks too tall now.