Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 160244 times)

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures
« Reply #315 on: August 22, 2009, 10:03:42 PM »
Awesome job on all apects of the rework.
My only thought is it may be too shiny. Maybe a flatter more matte finish....
But that would really put the fear in you if it popped out of nowhere at you.....
especially in an outerspace scene with star fields in the background......
or a dark undercity scene... glowrod beam hits it on a sweep of a room and BANG....
Really, you did a real great job and I am envious.... mostly because i havent seen even one of the figs to build this yet.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »
I went with the gloss black because I wanted this one to look like he was fresh off the assymbly line.  if I do another one (which I doubt) it'll probably be flat black with some weathering, scrapes, and blast effects on him.  Think battle damaged.

thanks for the positive comments

Offline Cubanpete24

• Ensign
« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »
how's the figure overall? like the cost....articulation..etc

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »
cost for the stock dark trooper is way too high.  Look for it already assembled on e-bay.  For me about the only other figures worth a darn is the boba and droid pack, the darth maul with protocol droid (which has a cool jedi holocron in his chest) and maybe the misc. r2 units.  But of course they are all repaints.....  If I'd have done my research before buying it all as soon as I saw it I'd have gotten the dark trooper on e-bay and then bought just the boba pack for my collection seperate. 

as far as the articulation it's as good as is to be expected of a build a droid.  Of course I didn't like the fact that the neck/head joint wasn't a ball joint and thus the reason for the customization.  I think as easy as it would have been for hasbro to make the neck joint a ball joint they should have.  It was a completely new sculpt, why skimp on that?  I understand not doing ball jointed hips, but there was no reason the neck couldn't have been a ball joint. 

The stock figure also had pretty decent paint apps... I just felt that it wasn't quite menacing enough, or dark enough.

Offline Cubanpete24

• Ensign
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
this is the figure from star wars battlefront 2 right? the one with the lol nipples

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
was the darktrooper in battlefront 2?  idk...

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2009, 02:49:08 AM »
Man, that darktrooper is bad ASS! I bet you could sell another one of those on ebay to pay for the figures to get it and then some!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
Almost, yeah.  $18*5 sets is $90 and he's selling on ebay for $50+ then figure in selling Corran Horn and Whistler for something like $15 each.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »
those are all proven fact...
but how long can it last?
longer than most think, i expect.
there are about 7 figs worth getting in this set.... Horn and all the droids and maybe the animated Boba and of course the Dark  Trooper itself...
Man that is a lot of money...
and they are exclusives... and repacks for the most part...
Man that Dark Trooper is REAL NICE LOOKING...

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2009, 12:57:40 PM »
I wonder if the sum total rule would hold up.

You know, buy them all up, assemble the droid, then break them into lots and sell on the bay, probably end up making more than you put into them, but what a loss, :)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »
if I do anything with another one I'll buy it aready assembled on e-bay, customize it and then sell it for more than I payed for it...  hopefully making a little profit to cover all the in box sets that I got...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »
WARNING Gi-Joe custom!!!  :P

I think that the roc cobra commander redesign sucks.  He doesn't have anything that the classic cc had in the cartoons.  So... I picked up a resolute 5 pack and spliced the roc and resolute figures together to come up with something I think looks more like the classic figure and still retains the newer look.

I hope that in the sequel to the movie they make CC look more like he did in the cartoons, but I know they won't.  This is my version of what I think he should look like once he takes power of his organization.

took me a whole 10min maybe to throw that one together... I'd already repainted the armor on the roc cc a while back.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #327 on: August 26, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »
I too thought the new one didn't look like anything I had seen on cartoons as a kid.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #328 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »
here is my customized agent helix from the gi-joe roc line with a bunch of customized guns I did today.

Basically the only thing I did with the helix figure was paint on the skin tones.  I also made the lighter part of her hair more blonde.  I also added a piece of black fabric from a darth maul cape underneath her pouch belt to make it look like a mini-skirt.  It may not be evident right off in the pics but I think you can see it if your looking for it...  Oh yeah, I also took my dremel to her cleaveage a little bit.  where the zipper came down on her jumpsuit I just made a deep cut and rounded it out around the tops of her breasts... I think it came out, rather... shapely. ;)

lol

this next fig I am waiting on moderator aproval to post frontal shots of... let's just say the vest doesn't zip up and she likes to feel the wind against her skin as she rides.....

the bad biker girl (rival biker babe to the speeder bike garage gang... can we say mudwresseling dio!?!)

This backpack was taken from the cobra troops out of the gi-joe resolute 5 pack... it fits perfectly snug over the animated clone's back box thing if you cut the peg out of it.  I gave it to MY arf trooper

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #329 on: August 27, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »
this is a WIP clone...  for now I'm calling him the "Clone HAT"  or Clone Heavt Artillary Trooper.
This clone is outfitted with heavy misile launchers and heavy fire laser cannons attached at his right arm via a gauntlet.  This free's up both his hands for other blasters.  The cannons are attached to a small backpack which is basically a stripped down power source.  This power source powers the cannons as well as a personal anti-grav unit to assist the clone in maneuvering the heavy equipment.  This means that 300lbs of plasma torpedo launching badd-assery feels like a blaster pistol!   It also houses an experimental personal sheild. This shield is the reason the clone is wearing limited armor, he doesn't need armor when he is protected by his own shield.  Much like the sheilds which droideka's utilize this personal sheild for clones is still in developemental stages....