Author Topic: Droidworld's Dagobah  (Read 9814 times)

Offline Droidworld

• Ensign
    • Custom Figures, Dioramas and Animated Avatars on Photobucket
Droidworld's Dagobah
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
Hey everyone!  I'm new to the Shipyards, and have been over at Rebelscum for a while.  Spookymufu introduced me the diorama forums here.  We both did/are doing our Hoth dioramas simultaneously.  I'm not quite ready to post the completed Hoth yet, but Dagobah was done about a year ago....

And to solve the problem of a planet where many scenes happen, but with only a few characters, I incorporated a turntable into a gnarltree, so only one scene is visible at a time:

Also made Yoda's hut with a removable roof, and interior:

Also sculpted a seated lower half for Yoda, for sitting around the Magic Tree:

Over at photobucket, I've added a movie that illustrates how Magic Tree Yoda's log get's turned over and switched out:

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii303/Droidworld/DIORAMAS/?action=view&current=MagicTreeYoda.mp4

And to finish it off, I ended up sculpting a couple of bogwings to fly over the diorama:

If you are interested in the WIP, there is a tread over at Rebelscum detailing the making of:   http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4154083&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=7&o=365&fpart=1#4154083

Spookymufu

Re: Droidworld's Dagobah
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
I forgot how sick this is, that is sweet.

Glad you got over here, looking forward to your other dio postings

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
I think I just pooped in my pants!  :o

This is, to say the least, masterful... incredible... professional... and magical!

The turn table is pure genius.

What's next? ;D

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Oh, I forgot to comment on the picture presentation as well.

The way you presented it made me feel as if I was playing with it!  :D

Offline Droidworld

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
Oh, I forgot to comment on the picture presentation as well.

The way you presented it made me feel as if I was playing with it!  :D

Thank you DarthSinister, be sure to clean up after yourself!  I'm glad you got a sense of "play" looking at the pics.  I do think of my dios as adult playsets, and enjoy setting them up and changing them around as well as building them. 

As for what's next, I'm still working on finishing Hoth (which is posted in here as well), and not sure what will be after that.  The top of the listers are Carbon Freeze, Sandcrawler, and the Death Star/Death Star II/Imperial Cruiser shelves.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
Holy daggonoids.

You sir are a diorama genius. I will try to type a more appropriate reply once I rehinge my jaw.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 02:10:29 AM »
Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! I can't say I've ever seen a diorama quite like this one, you've tackled a subject that rarely pops up on the custom forums. This definitely deserves a place on the Front Page.

What an amazing first post!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:38 AM »
I saw these pics a ways back when you first wrapped up the project.  The diorama was truly memorable.  Your work is awesome and I love the turntable idea as much now as I did then. yosab

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:25:06 AM »
I saw these over at Rebelscum and it's nice to see these pulled up to get a second go-round for those who might not have caught them when you posted them on the other site awhile back.

Your work shows great care and detail; truly amazing work!  I wonder what you've got up your sleeve next???  

As I've looked these over---multiple, multiple times!---I wondered about (1) how/what you used to get the roots and trees to look so doggone realistic to the movie's setting.  Did you use real brush or did much of the materials you used to make the roots/trees/vegetation come from hobby or craft store materials?  And (2) how long did all of this take you to complete?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:27:20 AM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:33:13 AM »
THis is awesome! I love to see this level of meticulous detail! Keep up the awesome work!

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »
have seen your stuff about on the Scum  ,and mightly fine it is too !

welcome to the yards
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 06:38:36 AM »
Droidworld, YES, you made the jump! Welcome to the yards my friend! So good to see you here as you know I love your work. Really love the way you incorperate turntables into your dios to get the most display area out of them. I love this dio as you have really gone all out on it and you have such great presentation. Can't wait to see you post more and blow everyone away! Make yourself t home and enjoy yourself here.

Offline RebelAce

• Wedge Antilles' Wingman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Good Luck! See you at the rendezvous!"
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 07:11:41 AM »
Great Caesar's Ghost! That's incredible.  I don't really lurk over at the scum, so it's nice to see your work brought here.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »
That is an amazing dio..... I love the opening hut, the revolving part, and of course the realistic trees and the perfect paint job. I'm glad you joined us in the Yards.

Offline Droidworld

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »
I saw these over at Rebelscum and it's nice to see these pulled up to get a second go-round for those who might not have caught them when you posted them on the other site awhile back.

Your work shows great care and detail; truly amazing work!  I wonder what you've got up your sleeve next???  

As I've looked these over---multiple, multiple times!---I wondered about (1) how/what you used to get the roots and trees to look so doggone realistic to the movie's setting.  Did you use real brush or did much of the materials you used to make the roots/trees/vegetation come from hobby or craft store materials?  And (2) how long did all of this take you to complete?

Thanks everyone, and JediMerc.  To answer your questions, the gnarl trees and roots are rope twisted on wire and covered in paper maché. 

There are detailed WIP pics and info here:  http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4154083&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=7&o=365&fpart=1#4154083

As for the brush and plant life, the ground is a bath towel, the vines are string and yarn, the moss on some of the branches are cotton balls painted green, and there is some spanish moss sprinkled around and a few twigs and grasses from my backyard.  I rarely use stuff from the Hobby $tore, but for Dagobah, the bit of swamp in front of Yoda's hut, is magic water from a Hobby $tore.   (I prefer the dollar store, whenever possible!!)

As for the length of time it took to build, it was about three weeks on and off.