Poll

Who's your favorite?

Luke Sprywalker
2 (10.5%)
JoeRhyno
17 (89.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 22, 2011, 06:51:14 AM

Author Topic: 2011 New Year Customs Contest Voting  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
2011 New Year Customs Contest Voting
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:51:14 AM »
Ok, here are the 2 entries to this contest.  Thanks to LukeSprywalker and JoeRhyno for participating.  Up first is Sprywalker's dio from Cadets featuring El Les and Sgt. Bric.

And up next is JoeRhyno's dio of Landing at Point Rain - The Rescue Of General Kenobi.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: 2011 New Year Customs Contest Voting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »
OH My, those are both very solid entries. Great work, guys!!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »
Whoa!!!!!  Nice work from both of ya's!!

Spry - you gonna give us the breakdown on how you put together your fig's?

Joe - same question, but on the vehicle.  That doesn't look like a stock Gunship from here...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
Sure Doc, but for now just checking in on my lunch break.

Joe, wow man that is awesome! I just had to cast my vote for you! That bash of the CW gunship and Avatar gunship is a jaw dropper! Well done on all points!

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
It's actually a GI Joe Sigma6 vehicle, Dragonhawk or something like that. I've had it for a couple years now, always wanted to make some sort of SW ship out of it with the extra wings I had and it all fell together. Everything else is foamboard and sheet styrene. The top cannons are from the newest gunship, I had to use them at the last min cause the ones I made didn't turn out too well. I'll try to rework them in the future and then swap them out. I had a whole breakdown of everything that I sent with the email, I'll see if I have it saved, or if the person that got the email has it and wants to repost it, that'd be cool.. if not, I'll wait till after the contest and then post it my thread what all was done. Thanks evenyone..

L.E. I like the simplicity of your dio, but I also like how it can be changed around. I love the customs too, Realistic Bric is too cool, I might have to make one of those if I can't get enough PoPs to get Obi one. I just thought of something, the grid pattern reminds me of American Gladiators, lol.. now I want to make one and some AG customs, lol.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
awww man the are both bloody good!    damn these difficult decisions!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
Ah, cool Joe. I have that vehicle still in the box in the attic. I got it for like $12 at clearance from a Kmart that has not been open for 3 yrs. That is a great use of the vehicle! I have not done anything with mine because a figure will not fit in there. I like it even more now! The figures look great as well, I would love to see more pics of Waxer and Boil. I was stressed over the low number of pics part.

For Bric I bashed a Denger torso and upper arms on a Clone Pilot's hip and upper legs. Lower legs are from a DS Gunner, lower arms are Flash ROC GiJoe. The details were cut off and sanded to the proper shape, the torso and limbs were painted flat black then all colors were drybrushed on. The chest plate was painted as normal in gull gray. The entire head was painted purple then I added the other colors over the top and finished with pink veins. Then I added the double banded pouch to his boot after the red line was painted and the ammo ring on the other leg came from a POTF2 X-Wing pilot. His boots got a gloss sealer and the rest got dull cote.

El-Les uses the torso and skirt from Feltepern Trevag, legs and head from Cantina dude, upper arms from Bail Organa and lower clone trooper. I cut down the lower arms and sanded them perfectly round and made the com link from a plastic bit.  Then painted everything the same way as Bric. The shoulder strap was Aurora's gun strap, the end is perfect for the fold over piece with the silver pin. The arm strap came from a Jedi belt and rubber bands. I also added double rubber band straps to the existing lower leg pouches. Then I sealed the lower arms with gloss and the rest with dull cote.

The diorama is simply foam core, I had to slice lengths of tape 1/2 inch wide then place them on the foam core. Then I sprayed everything gray and removed the tape after it was dry. The problem is I was going to build one more just like this one and the gun tower they climb. Real life was too consuming so rather than the 3 piece modular dio I have a 1 piece. Ce la vi!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:32 AM »
Spry, I know exactly what you mean!  Hey, guess that means we both have projects to work on for a while, now...  ;D

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:39 AM »
Hello, voting is over, time to crown the champion. Well done Joe, I just can't say enough about that awesome ship!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »
Bravo!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Congrats to JoeRhyno for winning this competition!  Be sure to contact Reconsgt with your contact information as soon as possible!

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »
my congratulation!!

great dio!!

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »
Thank you guys. I have limited internet access right now, my monitor died on me, I'm hoping I get the replacement one tomorrow, then I'll post up close and personal pics of all the figures.  Thanks again, and props to L.E. for his bang up job on his too!!!