Author Topic: August Figure Repaint Competition  (Read 26005 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
August Figure Repaint Competition
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:31 AM »

PRESENTING THE AUGUST 2010 IMPERIAL SHIPYARDS FIGURE REPAINT COMPETITION

Folks, Here is a new contest that will run from today, the 1st of August until midnight CST on the 31st of August.

The basics are that members can compete by REPAINTING ONE STAR WARS FIGURE to present by the ending date and time to be judged by all members for a week after the voting thread goes up after the end of the contest.

All entries must comply to the following rules:

1) entry MUST BE a Star Wars figure to be repainted by the competitor. Any size or brand of Star Wars figure will be accepted, for example, Hasbro 3 3/4 inch, 12 inch, Koto, GG, whatever. This entry is to be a repaint only. That means, no parts swapping, no parts modifying, and no parts additions. If the parts or weapons came with the figure in it's original packaging, they will be accepted but nothing else. This can be a complete repaint or just a partial. Decals or other applications of a similar nature like the decals that Wraithnine uses or even the adhesive backed foils that I have used on my figures will be accepted.
2) absolutely no cheating! If you plagiarize another creator's custom by claiming it's your own, or if you try to pad the voting by using multiple shipyards user ids, you will be disqualified. "no exceptions"
3) you must be a registered shipyards member to enter
4) your entry pics can not be photo shopped or contain any photo shopped elements
5) your entry must be an all new custom painted by you and can't have been posted here or anywhere else before the start of this competition.

Remember, this can be a clone, droid, alien, pilot, whatever, as long as it's only a Star Wars figure. "sorry, Joe fans"

All registered members are eligible to enter.
In this thread, your WIP or finished custom pics are welcome as is commentary in regards to them so feel free to troubleshoot ideas with the other members, here. You may show WIP or trouble shooting pics of more than one figure in this thread but only one entry per competitor with only one figure will be accepted.
By the ending date and time, you must present 1-4 pics of your entry to staff@imperialshipyards.net  I want one of the pics to be a shot of the figure in it's "stock state" before you do any work to it, that way we can have before and after shots. "remember to include your member name" and after the end of the contest, we will host and post your entry pics on a voting page for all members to vote on for a week. If there is a tie for the 1st or 2nd place, we will have a vote off in between the entries that are tied.

Prizes are as follows:
1st place: I plan on entering in this contest myself and if I don't win 1st place, my repainted figure will be the grand prize. I will post wip pics as I am conducting the repaint of this figure.
2nd place: a random selection of my resin parts. "20  including the newest hollow helmets I am making now"
3rd place: a random selection of 9 of my resin parts. "pics of the two parts bundles can be found below"

The pics at the top of this post are just an example of what an entry could be as that is an ROTS Galactic Marine that I repainted some time ago. No Swapped or extra parts..............just a repaint.

Grab your brushes and choose a figure. May the best figure win.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:51:47 PM by Clonehead »

Offline commanderCharlie

• Captain
  • need republic commando action figures!!
Re: August Figure Repaint Competition
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
oh sweet ! Im in just my type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
Man, this could be difficult!  I have a couple different ideas in mind already!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
doh do we have to do stock images cause it was only a saga legends clone ep 3

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:35:49 PM »
This is very cool!!!!

I just have to find someone fresh out of the box!!!

I have a whole heap of loose guy's  but I'll find a newbie somewhere!!!

Great idea Clint you are a true Master!!!

rich

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
Thanks, Rich. I figured that this would be an easy back-to-basics custom competition that everyone could get into.

guys, the figure doesn't have to be fresh out of the box, Per-se, it just needs to be ready to take some paint. If some accessories came with the figure, they can be used, just not altered other then to be repainted, if you want.

Watto, what would be even cooler is if you had two of that figure on hand so after you finished your repaint, you could take a pic with the stock version next to your repainted version. That would be more than acceptable and be a great shot for the voting gallery when that time comes.

By the way, I have been thinking about it and I believe I might choose a mando figure to repaint for my entry.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:50:15 PM by Clonehead »

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »
I'm game. This is gonna be fun.

Offline NerfHerder

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
I`m in.If my darn camera will stop acting crappy. :'(
Who`s scruffy lookin`?

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
Hell yeah baby I'm in,  now the only problem is which to choose a 12" or 3-3/4", and are we allowed to base them?

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
Hell yeah baby I'm in,  now the only problem is which to choose a 12" or 3-3/4", and are we allowed to base them?

Ron
As in create a base to put em on? It doesn't bug me, Ron, but the figure should be the center focus. As long as everybody understands that we will be voting on the repainted figure and not the base, I don't have a problem with it. If I have time, perhaps i will make a little base for mine and include it as part of the 1st place prize.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
Clonehead wrote
As in create a base to put em on? It doesn't bug me, Ron, but the figure should be the center focus. As long as everybody understands that we will be voting on the repainted figure and not the base, I don't have a problem with it. If I have time, perhaps i will make a little base for mine and include it as part of the 1st place prize.

Cheers Clint and if I do base it it will be minor basing anyway.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
This is going to be outstanding. Good luck folks.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
oh man.... I havn't done a simple repaint in years.  Idk if I can work on a star wars figure without trying to cut it up! lol.

I will root around in my fodder boxes and try and find something to work on...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 06:38:29 PM »
oh man.... I havn't done a simple repaint in years.  Idk if I can work on a star wars figure without trying to cut it up! lol.

I will root around in my fodder boxes and try and find something to work on...
I knew that this facet of this competition would be hard on you, Devin, but I figured it would keep the more novice of us custom guys out there from being intimidated by some of the knife work and modding that some of us here do.

Sorry, buddy.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
Sounds like a great idea Clint. It is hard to hold back to a straight repaint but this one will be fun none the less. Now the hard part is to figure out what figure to repaint.