Author Topic: What if yoda wasn't refering to Leia when kenobi says that boy is our last hope?  (Read 13848 times)

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
Was watching star wars with my younger cousins and some of my big kid family members and got into a discussion.  Keep in mind the discussion source material would only be based on the star wars movies.  If lucas wanted to move forward in the time line and keep a bombshell in the midst, he could branch off the moment when yoda tells the spirit of Kenobi that there is another, but keep it dual a meaning.  From the movies anakin is portrayed as the "chosen one" but if you study yoda's reaction and some of the other jedi, he doesn't seem to be treated as such.   fast forward to the empire strikes back moment and its a scene that kind of gets cut off, when yoda and ben are talking about luke and ben mentions that boy is our last hope.   Yoda mentions there is another, but in a way that seems like he knows something ben does not.  we later learn in return of the jedi yoda reveals to luke that there is another skywalker, but nothing clearly identifiable that Leia would be the last hope.  A point brought up by my 11 year cousin is, if it were  Leia, who would train her if Luke and Yoda were dead?  Ben Kenobi was taught to communicate with Qui Gon because Yoda taught him and we are assuming Ben taught Luke whether he realized it or not.   This opened up the discussion towards Anakin  never really being the chosen one who would bring balance to the force and perhaps yoda knew it was actually someone else, perhaps imprisoned, still in training, lost faith, or even further down the timeline.  I mean in all honesty, anakin ended up being the jedi anit-christ and luke doesn't exactly balance out the force by being the last known yoda trained jedi.  point is we thought the answer may actually be a decendant of revan or the outcast from the KOTOR series and perhaps after all this time a lost militant sect of jedi who felt it necessary to hunt sith who may have escaped beyond the outer rim.  Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting SW discussion and thought i'd bring it up before I forgot and ask what everyone else thought.

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
yes yes .. a interesting topic .... i beileve the balancer of the force is a later skywalker down the lines after cade

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
Yes but they thought the chosen one would kill the last of the sith which anakin didwhen he threw palpatine in tha reactor thing, I think yhe ones in legacy are just Krayt's minions.
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline beige-4

• Banned
  • Admiral
screw my answer !
GL will make a sw film which will be WAY after legacy were theres a sith lord whos killing everyone and a reallyyy  reaallyy down the line skywalker has to kill him he kills him and then when he does because of the strong essence of the force that the sith has it kills the skywalker and because skyguy is so dtrong he dies too and with all that power blowing up it destroys all the midi-chlorians in the galaxy and everyone who has midi-chlorians die . which means the galaxy is in turmoil .

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
If I may, one thing you have to consider that is, due to Bane's Rule of Two, the Sith would only exist as a Master, and an Apprentice, for power reasons.  It was to maximize the Force between the Sith.  In Krayt's order, there are far more than two, meaning that these are not true Sith.  So therefore, the end of the Sith would've had to been before that, and the last known true Sith to go was Palpatine, by the hands of Anakin.  Another point, Darth Krayt is really A'sharrad Hett, so he isn't a Sith, but a Dark Jedi.  So therefore, the one who brought balance to the force, at least for the movies, was indeed Darth Vader, and, as far as I can recall into the EU, he was the only one to fulfill the duties of the Chosen One.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline beige-4

• Banned
  • Admiral
exar kun , was he not jedi ?

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
He was a Jedi.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
This is one of those great questions where you'd get drastically different answers and rationale based on when it is asked.  For instance, some of the valid posts above would never have even been conceived when this question was asked in 1980.  I remember some of the speculation back then--one of my favorites was that Han Solo might be the Jedi spoken of.  Obviously that didn't happen, but it was an idea I liked.

Offline beige-4

• Banned
  • Admiral
He was a Jedi.
dark jedi are sith .. the first sith were dark jedi . or massasi , which were " slaved " by the first sith .

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
that is also true
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
from what i remember from the article here
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/sisterthatneverwas.html

Luke's original sister was named Nellith, being trained/raised on the far side of the galaxy far away from the Empire.

Offline ServO

• Cadet
I dunno...I guess Padme only had Luke and Leia...
I always assumed that the title of "the chosen one" was mis-diagnosed with Anakin, and the prophecy was really referring to Luke...At the point where the Emperor was dead, and it was just Luke and Vader, the balance was achieved...however once Vader expired, it was all out of balance again...which is something I think we will see addressed in the upcoming films.

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
If my original question came to fruition....I would prefer that they not make the chosen one.....or whomever the next great jedi is....a skywalker or a solo.  They centralized too much power with these two lines that it makes other jedi look insignificant and pointless.  It would be nice to see other jedi as the badasses they ought to be.

Offline SOLOGRUNT

• Cadet
The question you have to ask is, why did Ben say "that boy is our last hope"..., when he was there to see Leia born???
"Execute order 66"

Offline Hand So Low

• Ensign
I'm beginning to think Obi-Wan wasn't as awesome a Jedi as we all thought he was...