Author Topic: Aude's Workshop  (Read 36225 times)

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Aude's Workshop
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:46:35 PM »
Hello!

I’ve been intrigued by custom figure creations for quite a while, but have never felt that I wanted a figure strongly enough to give customizing a shot myself. A little over a month ago, something finally convinced me to act: the TVC Tatooine Skiff. When I received a pair as companion pieces to the Khetanna, I was reminded that, despite collecting every Jabba guard/goon Hasbro has released, my skiffs were still lacking. This would not do. During the past month, I have been customizing the missing five figures in my free time so that the spectacular skiffs may be properly populated. These are my efforts.

Gailid

Composition: TVC AT-ST Driver head, torso, pelvis, legs, TBS Ponda Baba upper arms, TBS Luke Yavin Ceremony lower arms & hands. Aviator helmet and hair, torso, belt, and leg pouch sculpted with Aves Epoxy Sculpt. Soft goods helmet straps.
Process: This guy was the first one I began and one of the last ones I completed. I started on a Rose Tico body, which I realized would be far too small after sculpting the chest. I attempted again with a Brock Starsher torso, but had compatibility issues with the other pieces I intended to use (I bought the cheapest rotary tool I could find and received exactly what I paid for) and abandoned that. Third time was the charm, it seems.

Yotts Orren

Composition: TVC Wooof head, hands & belt, TVC Rebel Commando (Endor) body. Cowl, chest, bandoliers, fanny pack, kneepad, pouch, and boot wraps sculpted with epoxy clay.
Process: Yotts was the first custom to reach near-completion. At this point I was still deathly afraid of boil and pop after a lackluster first attempt to separate limbs from trunk (I tested on the Rose, naturally), I built him without swapping parts. I had intended to use the rebel commando bandoliers, but they ultimately felt too bulky.

Shirtless Human Skiff Guard (aka Fozec’s wardrobe twin)

Composition: TBS Luke Yavin Ceremony head, Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. champagne beige blank torso, arms, hands, TVC Vedain legs, TVC Lando Skiff boots, Saga Lando Barge helmet & loincloth. Armor, harness & straps, helmet details, and kneepads sculpted in epoxy clay. Soft goods cowl & mask.
Process: After finding an image of a custom of this character created by a user named Jaeger45 (a fantastic effort that also encouraged me to experiment with soft goods- If you read this, thank you!), I ordered a Bossfight blank and got to work assembling this guy. Joining the Bossfight body to the Vedain pelvis proved to be more difficult than initially anticipated, since unlike the TVC Weequay, Vedain’s body has no waist swivel on account of the ball abdomen. I cut away the Vedain abdomen and connected the blank’s torso to a fabricated socket built on the pelvis using epoxy clay. Disclaimer: I know this guard doesn’t have a visible holster or belt on film, but he does brandish a palace blaster. I felt sympathetic toward him since he dies out of sequence and was never even given a name, so I allowed him a gun belt & holster for his pistol.

Mercenary Pilot

Composition: TVC Rebel Trooper (Hoth) head, TLC Imperial Scanning Screw torso & arms, TVC Rebel Commando (Endor) gloves, TVC Brock Starsher legs & boots, G.I. Joe Retaliation Cobra Trooper helmet. Bandoliers, shoulderpads, pouches, and helmet detailing sculpted with epoxy clay.
Process: This fellow came together relatively painlessly until it came time for the helmet, which I intended to be removable. I tried a few different heads and sculpts but nothing seemed to work out quite the way I hoped it would. Discovering the Cobra Trooper helmet as an excellent base for the ‘80s hockey helmet was a godsend, although I’m not sure it will come off…

Velken Tezeri // Nizuc Bek

Composition: TVC Rebel Commando (Endor) head, TVC Wooof torso, TLC Malakili arms & hands, TLC Giran skirt, TVC Naboo Pilot pelvis & thighs, TVC Rebel Commando (Endor) shins, TVC Lando Skiff boots, TSC Naboo Soldier helmet, TVC Sandstorm Leia goggles. Beard, puff vest, belt, flask, quilting pattern on legs, kneepads, helmet detailing sculpted in epoxy clay. Soft goods cowl & mask/wrap.
Process: At this point, I was no longer terrified of boil and pop and was swapping out parts freely (even though I ended up sculpting or sanding down most of the pieces beyond recognition– lol). I also wanted to make the figure versatile, so I included a pair of goggles and attached the mask flap on one side so that it could be folded down to reproduce Bek’s look. I resculpted the puff vest over the previous iteration, so the figure ended up looking slightly more portly than initially intended (chalk it up to a windy day or too much partying on the Khetanna, I suppose). The figure went through various phases, but ultimately resulted in a piece than I am content with (for now).

The goon squad, assembled:

Now that I’ve gotten a taste of this, I am tempted to continue. There are still barge guards & passengers, cantina patrons, and a cornucopia of other secondary characters that would be a blast to make. Before I do though, I have some questions for those of you who have been at this for a while. What have you found to be the most effective way of preventing paint rub at the joints? I have sanded them down and applied a thin layer of superglue, but are there any other techniques that you use that have worked well for you? Also, are there clays that you would recommend for sculpting that have some give to them that also accept and retain fine detail? I tried using a polyclay for skirt detail but abandoned it because it didn’t seem to hold the sculpt. Maybe it was just old. Finally, is there a superglue or cement that you would recommend for joining plastic to plastic for the best possible bond?

Thanks for reading- I welcome your advice, feedback, and suggestions!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:05:54 PM by Aude »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
Re: My First Customs: Jabba’s Skiff Guards
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
Damn fine job! The painting and sculpting work is world class. Are these your first customs you've ever done?
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:28:51 AM »
First off welcome! These look fantastic. I agree you look like you have been customizing for years.

Time to get these to the front pages. Thank you for sharing them.

Offline DS-61-22

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »
Sweet!! Especially if this is your first offerings because these are very good

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
Fantastic looking figures mate.

Ron

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words. These are indeed the first customs I've made, or at least what I would consider "real" custom figures, having only performed a handful of head swaps and repaints previously. The task seemed a bit daunting, but turned out to be a great deal of fun!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:50:48 PM »
What a great introduction to the 'shipyards. Those are excellent figures, you certainly have some great skill. Looking forward to seeing what else you have to share.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
The only thing that might be more impressive than these figures is that you were able to crank them out in a month.  Awesome work! 

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 05:50:05 AM »
Simple Amazing , rare owner here!  Keep them coming... please check Jaeger45 thread to find out how we do the fabric. Welco
E to the boards !

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 02:50:59 AM »
Wow—so much talent!  These look great!  Your sculpting and paint apps are superb, and you just plowed through these.  Consider me impressed!

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 02:20:14 PM »
These are your FIRST customs? That's astounding. Very nice work. Can't wait to see what's next.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
Really great set.  I especially like the way you did the shirtless guard.  You did a great job with the armor on that one.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Re: Aude's Workbench - Updated 10-5
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 11:05:58 PM »
New month, new customs! My sophomore offering takes to the decks of the sail barge Khetanna for five more of Jabba's associates without official release. There are some fan favorite characters here, and I had a blast improving elements I first experimented with in wave one. So, without further ado... wave two!

Geezum

Background: A Snivvian scout in Jabba's employ. He is seen in the palace and on the Khetanna at Carkoon, where he is chatting with Fozec & Yoxgit when C-3PO runs into R2. Although he is never shown with any weaponry, he seemed like the ranging sort, so I gave him a rifle that hooks into his bandolier.
Composition: TVC Snaggletooth head, shins & boots, OTC M'iiyoom Onith torso, TVC Bom Vimdin arms, TVC Rebel Commando gloves, TVC Lando Skiff pelvis & thighs. Epoxy clay outfit quilting and bandolier. Soft goods sash.

Yoxgit

Background: An Ugnaught charged with maintaining Jabba's security systems. Seen on the Khetanna socializing with Geezum and Fozec. This guy has eerie, bulbous eyes that I wanted to replicate. I first tried epoxy clay, then glue, and finally glass shards. If I find beads of the proper size, I will switch out the shards. I also gave him a little comm/remote (thanks, Rose) that can attach to his belt so that he can monitor and maintain Jabba's security systems on the go.
Composition: TLC Ugnaught #2 head, torso, pelvis, arms & boots, TLC AT-ST driver gloves, TLC Arvel Crynyd (lol) thighs. Belt, pockets, and facial details sculpted in epoxy clay. Glass shard eyes.

Taym Dren-garen

Background: One of Jabba's henchmen charged with inciting violence between Tusken Raiders and settlers to distract local authorities from Jabba's dealings. Taym is most notably the only character other than the emperor to deal any real damage to Luke Skywalker in RotJ, shooting his hand on the upper deck of the Khetanna. Over the years, he has repeatedly placed (and perhaps even won?) in multiple fan polls, but has yet to see official release.
Composition: TVC Ric Olie head, pelvis & thighs, TVC Vizam torso, TVC Rebel Commando upper arms, TVC Vedain forearms, TLC Imperial Scanning Crew hands, TLC Major Panno shins & boots, TVC Lando Skiff helmet. Epoxy clay vest, belt, and helmet detail. Soft goods cowl and skirt.

Shasa Tiel

Background: An Ishi Tib in charge of Jabba's fortune. Seen in the palace and on the barge jeering at the prisoners along with Ree-Yees and Tessek. While "researching" (watching the first 30 min of Jedi on replay) her outfit, I noticed something hilarious: after the rancor's demise, Shasa can be seen gesticulating wildly near Jabba's dais, incredulous that anyone could defeat Pateesa. The actor is really going for broke, and it's a hoot. Anyway, since she's Jabba's accountant, I made her a little data pad so that she can keep a keen eye on those riches.
Composition: PotF2 Ishi Tib head & hands, TBS Ponda Baba torso, TVC Snaggletooth upper arms, KotCS Indiana Jones forearms, TLC Major Panno pelvis, TLC AT-AT driver legs & boots.

Fozec

Background: In Legends, a Galactic Empire plant working as a human guard at Jabba's palace. Fozec seems to fill many roles, acting even as part-time gaoler to an unfrozen Han Solo, but also knows how to kick back and enjoy the music with workmates Geezum and Yoxgit on the Khetanna. Rather unintentionally, Fozec turned into something of a deluxe figure when I realized just how many elements of his outfit I could elevate. The helmet, goggles, and gun belt and holster can all be removed, and I included a set of cuffs and his signature barge party chalice. His staff is also unique, as I noticed the one he wields has a middle portion that fans out and a set of prongs at the top. He was a blast to make.
Composition: Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. coffee blank head and upper body, TVC Lando Skiff pelvis, thighs & boots, TVC Vedain shins, TVC Lando Skiff belt & helmet, TLC Luke Sandstorm goggles. Armor, straps, kneepads, helmet details, and facial hair sculpted in epoxy clay. Soft goods cowl & loincloth.

"Dillon, you son of a..."

And the group in a festive mood (well, maybe not Taym):

And upon hearing that their chances at Hasbro are rather slim:

But seriously Hasbro, make these already.

Again, thank you all for the encouragement, and a special thank you to Jaeger45 for the crafting advice and product recommendations. I'm always working to improve, and I've really been enjoying this! I was assembling a couple of these figures concurrently with the first set, so the wave came together quickly. Although I haven't begun any new customs yet, more Khetanna revelers and guards seem likely.

As always, I welcome your advice, feedback, and suggestions!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:02:17 PM by Aude »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 06:25:49 AM »
Wow, another great group. I like them all. Let me take these to the front pages and try to leave better comments later. Wow!

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
Stunning. Your use of parts and especially your sculpting are on point! Top notch customs! Got me thinking I need to do more sculpting.