Author Topic: An Ethical Dilemma  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Drakos

• Cadet
  • Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad vode' an
    • Toy Photography
An Ethical Dilemma
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
Hey guys, I just have a minor ethical dilemma that I'm totally 50-50 about.

The dilemma is: As a collector and customizer, is it acceptable to purchase a knock-off if you intend to revamp/customize/give it a make-over?

In this case I am deciding between an Original 6" Boba Fett (of which I have one already but don't want to mess with) that is priced at PhP1500 or approx USD 32.6 versus a knock-off 6" McQuarrie Boba Fett (it's already primed! you just need to paint over it!" that is priced at PhP 500~ or approx USD 10.9?

Of course there is an obvious difference in the quality of the materials used, and one might argue that buying knock-offs promotes piracy. The Original Boba Fett is from a secondary market source, so technically, buying this won't support Star Wars or Hasbro either.

And then of course, the entire price difference.

The point may be moot by the time I return to the place where I spotted these, but the question will still remain. Any ideas guys?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: An Ethical Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »
That is a bit of a dilemma. On one hand you can't support those who try to pass off bootlegs as the real thing. On the other hand its just like using resin cast parts for customs. I think as long as you don't try to pass it off as being a legit Hasbro product your good.

Offline Drakos

• Cadet
  • Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad vode' an
    • Toy Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »
makes sense, Thanks JDeck!

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 06:20:33 PM »
Hmmm adding this topic because it's actually been on my mind since I started collecting the 6" line:

Personally I think after much thought..
 bottom line...  WHO CARES. The knock offs are soo cheap its insane. Sure many out there are TERRIBLE BOOTLEGS (like that really bad Chewbacca... Which I've seen in person and its even worse then the pictures on eBay). But the strait up BS knock offs are actually really nice. I happened upon a sandtrooper one in a lot and I honestly comparing it to the original... Its 99.8% the same figure... So much I wouldn't have even known if the seller didn't mention it.

So that leads me to one thought. The Boba the org. Poster mentions you can get in the box for $6-12 on eBay... It just proves the mark up Hasbro pushes on you for royalty costs, which honestly really upsets me.

I would buy tons of these "cloned" knock  offs if I wasn't so weary of PayPal'n some random dude in lord knows where China/HK. I just don't want to trust exposing my account (I've been hacked a few times). Its  beyond tempting to army build this route. Just check out the "SHADOW TROOPER" available. Its really, REALLY sweet!