Author Topic: Movies and TV JDeck likes.  (Read 8595 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Movies and TV JDeck likes.
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=riLiop5vhJI
   My brother turned me on to this Gamera trailer. Its pretty freggin sweet! How come nobody told me about this? 
     Evidently they released this trailer Oct. 8 during Comic Con. No release date, no budget info, no info at all. The movie is to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the giant terrapin. I guess they don't want to hype it up, good move.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:35:34 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Gamera 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:56:57 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Weird stuff Jdeck likes
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:04:56 PM »
 Does anyone remember Star Fleet. Aka X-bomber (1980).  originally it was supposed to be The 'Japanese Star Wars", however it wasn't accepted until it hit the UK.  That show to any 9 year old was killer, especially to me.  I watched all episodes (except pilot). It was a puppet show like Thunderbirds, and it was really cornball, but i liked it. The story was pretty good. The Imperial Alliance invades our Solar System. Star fleet assembles the best pilots on earth to pilot X-Bomber, an experimental space ship, and Earth's last line of defence. The X-bomber had these smaller ships attached to it, that assembled into a giant robot, kinda like power rangers, but way cooler.
         I've been trying to find it on Region 1 DVD, no luck. I've heard R4&R2  versions don't work on " all region DVD players". I know YouTube has a couple episodes, but, you gotta watch episodes 1-24.  Any advise? I'd get a non regional DVD player if they work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:54:20 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Weird stuff Jdeck likes
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:16:30 AM »
I haven't heard of this till now.

BTW, did that Gamera movie ever come out?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Movies and TV JDeck likes.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
I haven't heard of this till now.

BTW, did that Gamera movie ever come out?
  I was exposed to Star Fleet through my local privately owned video store. That's why it sucks video stores went the way of the dodo, you can't find stuff like this on Netflix. Anyway it was a good show, for the budget. The sets  props and ship models were great. Being a fan of practical effects, it would not have been as  good if it were animated.

As for Gamera, nobody knows anything at all. I know Toho is making a new Godzilla movie. In my opinion Toho, is the only one who should be making Godzilla movies. He looks pretty badass. Again Gamera, I tend to be a sceptic, so I think it was a ruse. Something for the 50th anniversary. It was shown at NYCC, so its legit, but it seems odd they aren't promoting it at all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:11:23 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Movies and TV JDeck likes.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
Here's the trailer for Godzilla Resurgence, AKA Shin Gojira.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkxVHyzivg
   Pretty rad! It has that old school TOHO look to it. Along with practical effects. Hollywood needs to let TOHO have Godzilla, they make em right. 
   Gotta love the old school look, classic Godzilla, not exactly like the '54, but still cool.  He has that smoldering look like the son of Godzilla, where he was basically a nuclear reactor waiting to blow. That part I'm not really into, but I does look awesome as hell though. We'll see what direction they take it. From the look of it they're going back to the basics, but they're still being creative. Those camera angles are awesome. The one with the tail swooping over the buildings, and the shots of the tanks firing on Godzilla. Cool stuff.
      Personally I think its a sequel to the 1954 Gojira, shin Gojira means "new Godzilla", or it can be translated as "real Gojira", so its not a remake exactly. They're just flushing out all those cornball movies made after '54. Or it can be a shot on the american Godzilla as not being the real Gojira, either way I like it.
      He could be the product of all those nuclear disasters that have plagued Japan. Originally it was the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that created Gojira. He represented the mindless destruction of nuclear weapons.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:36:40 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:45:11 AM »
Count me in. Netflix sometimes gets in some of the good Japanese stuff so I can hopefully get it there fairly soon after it releases. I love Godzilla a good bit.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:28:19 AM »
     Shin gojira will be out in july in japan, itll probably be released on dvd, hopefully in subtitles not dubbed. I'm not trying to sound like a hipster fuddy duddy, but I am disenchanted with Hollywood. They have these 200m dollar budgets, but no original ideas. Look at all the remakes and sequels done in the last decade. Indiana Jones, star wars, Rambo, Rocky, predator, Terminator, RoboCop, ninja turtles, three stooges, just off the top of my head. Now there's Ghostbusters, ughh. That's why I've been watching classic movies lately.  Now, Godzilla, Tarzan and 007 are franchises that will always produce movies, until Godzilla himself  appears and actually destroys Tokyo. Movies based on books are acceptable. But all these retro 80s remakes are getting ridiculous. Ironically they're making a Groundhog day remake.
  Here's a list of upcoming remakes.  Its nuts, its become unbearable. They're starting to remake remakes , because they're running out of ideas for movies to remake. When I saw this list I honesty thought it was a joke. Jumanjii remake with Dewayne Johnson, WHAT!  In recent years they've made board games into movies rockem sockem robots, battleship ive heard rumors of an actual monopoly movie. What is going on with these people.
 http://moviepilot.com/posts/3874025
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:24:02 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 04:49:05 AM »
I am agreeing on the redos. We should have original talent to either continue older films or start new ones.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »
    I'll get into the movies that I actually do like now, and recommend. I'll start with the easy ones. Taxi Driver, starring Robert De niro , Harvey Keitel, cybill Shepherd, Jodi Foster, Peter Boyel, directed by Martin Scorsese. Its about Travis Bickel (Robert De Niro), a loner  cab driver, who spirals into insanity and goes on a murderous rampage. Its the movie with the famous line "you talking to me?". I always thought it was an interesting movie. Yeah he was nuts, but the movie goes into the thoughts and feelings everyone has from time to time, but he dealt with it the wrong way. He chose to see the evils of the world, and it became his reality. This movie is rated R with bloody violence and harsh language. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but its one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:46:58 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 08:50:47 AM »
I forgot about this thread.
I started watching Squid Game on Netflix. It's a korean thriller with English subtitles. Without giving too much away It's basically about a group of people with severe gambling debts who are selected to play games for the equivalent of 38 million dollars, the only wager, their lives.
 Disclaimer there is sex, blood and strong language. So I guess don't watch it with kids or your parents or anyone squeamish. I dunno I think it's really good.  Im going to make some custom figures based on these guys 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:53:39 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 02:50:36 AM »
I will have to give this a look.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 07:33:42 PM »
I got Paramount plus recently and started watching Strange New Worlds, which is A star Trek original series prequel with Captain Pike and Spock. I was skeptical to the point I really wasn't interrested, but I had watched the original series to the point I was growing tired of it, so I gave ASNW a shot and it's really good. It has parallels to the original but new stories and missions. The guy that plays pike gives his unique command style like Kirk and picard. Im not a huge Star trek fan, I like TOS and I watched next-generation as a kid, but stopped with deep space 9. I like the show, it's surprisingly good. It seems now days girl power is forced into everything. This show has female leads without seeming forced.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 04:26:59 AM »
I will have to give this a look see.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »
Strange new worlds is going on a second season. It is pretty cool. I watch the original series all the time, and they fit together really well. It makes me think of the disservice JJ Abrhams did to the movies. Of course the tv series have always been better than the movies.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 12:17:50 AM by JDeck »