Author Topic: StarAlien70's custom figures  (Read 101781 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: StarAlien70's custom figures
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2018, 05:33:46 AM »
Wow that looks good too. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
Excellent work.

Ron

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
Great combination of parts on the Jyn (Eadu) - really well conceived. I also think the paint applications on the Scarif trooper are excellent! Keep up the amazing work.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
Loving the R1 figures. I really hope TVC brings us a K2SO. yours looks awesome, and with over the top articulation that unfortunately we probably won't see in that scale.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
  • Happy 40th Anniversary, TESB!
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
Pleased you all like the Rogue One customs. Here’s some detail shots of the K-2SO custom and a bit more info on the joints:
I cut through the non-articulated joint of the basic figure; leaving the outer joint rings attached to the uppermost part, and the middle joint ring attached to the lower part, then I cut a piece of metal tube to size and inserted this to hold the joints together. The metal tubes were basically from anything that was a suitable size - some were from an antenna off a broken radio. I used this method on the knees, elbows and ankles; with the ankles I had to drill a hole through (as there isn’t one on the figure), which I did before cutting the joint. The smaller joints; wrists and toes are done with pins. I didn’t do a joint on the fingers - I was tempted - but I thought it would just bust the plastic. The knee joints are cut off above the joint to allow them to swivel, these are attached with pins going into the shaft of the thighs. I used this technique on the wrists too.

As well as the front-back rotation of the ankle joint the foot can rock side-to-side, this was done by cutting the foot off leaving a block attached to the ankle joint (just as the 6” figure is). This is attached by a pin through the back of the foot.
For the toes; I drilled a very small hole through the foot where the toe joint would be, then I cut the toe section off leaving a piece at each side of the foot and then pushed a pin through.

For the shoulders; I cut of the arms at the base of the shoulder plate, the arm is then attached with the joint piece from a Tron Legacy figure. I drilled out the shoulder so it was just a thin plate, then attached it to the joint piece. This enables the arm to swivel free of the plate.

I separated the upper torso from the pelvis by cutting up under the chest plate until it came away. I managed to make this custom using one figure, but it would be much easier using two. The torso inparticular would be easier with 2 figures. Once I separated the upper torso, I drilled it out and tidied up the cutting, then used a connector piece (the type you find on heads for 6” figures - I think mine was from a NECA Planet of the Apes) to attach the upper torso to the pelvis section.

I hope that helps and makes some sort of sense.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Back to OT customs. As I had cut Cassian’s Eadu cap in two to make Jyn’s, I decided to glue the bottom half to a TVC Rebel Fleet Trooper’s cap and made this custom cap for the TVC Echo Base Rebel Soldier. Head is from TBS Jon 'Dutch' Vander.

It would have been nice to have this version of the cap and the regular Hoth cap as interchangeable accessories on this figure when it was released, seeing as we got two hats with the Fleet Trooper.

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
  • Clone Wars / Imperial Enthusiast
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed info and pictures on K-2SO! What amazing work on the joints!

The rebel trooper also looks great, clever use of the leftover cap to customize him!

I look forward to keeping up with more of your customs in the future.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
Let me take that Hoth Trooper to the front page first as that K2SO tutorial is gonna go up at the top today. That is some good stuff. Thank you for sharing how you did it. Off to share.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2018, 02:20:15 AM »
Thank you so much for the WIP pics of K-2SO! Such an impressive project because it's definitely a difficult task with such thin joints...much respect that you only needed one figure as well!

I really like your modification of the Hoth Rebel Trooper, too! Thanks for sharing! I think our army of Rebel troopers will grow with the return of TVC...

- Philipp
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:48:04 AM by Darth More »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2018, 11:04:16 AM »
Thank you very much for the detailed articulation tutorial.
The Hoth Rebel Trooper looks really cool.

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
Nice work on K-2SO

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
Thanks for all your comments. Here’s some customs of Rebel Alliance characters from A New Hope.
Captain Antilles: Head from TVC Endor AT-ST Crew 2-pack. TVC Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet. Upper torso modified from TBS Cassian Andor. Arms from Indiana Jones Dr Henry Jones. Stomach piece is a modified cut down torso from Golden Compass Lord Asriel. Custom made belt. Legs modified from TLC AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi. Jacket modified from TFA Finn. Custom made insignia. Top pockets cut from POTJ Rebel Trooper’s vest/waistcoat.

Colonel Anj Zavor: Head modified Golden Compass Lee Scoresby. Repainted TVC Rebel Fleet Trooper cap. Torso, arms, skirt, and right hand from Indiana Jones Russian Soldier. Modified cuffs, pocket flaps and belt loops from bits of Dr Who (12) jacket, left hand also from this figure. Collar made from pieces of TBS Bastilla Shan skirt. Belt made from harness leg hoop off SL Bossk. Upper legs slightly modified from TLC Pons Limbic. Lower Legs and shoes from Marvel Infinite Series Chameleon.

I hope to have some more Yavin ceremony background Rebels to show soon.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2018, 02:44:52 AM »
Both of these are great. Time for me to get em on the front page.

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2018, 08:25:06 AM »
Applauded!  Beautiful!  on Adj was paint mix did you use come up with the. Color.  Antilles done excellent, this Indiana Jones , Hebert jones are not cheap.  Love the isiage of parts , excellent

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »
Applauded!  Beautiful!  on Adj was paint mix did you use come up with the. Color.  Antilles done excellent, this Indiana Jones , Hebert jones are not cheap.  Love the isiage of parts , excellent

Thanks Stan. The colour was Humbrol Acrylic 26 Khaki. I managed to get the Henry Jones figure loose, quite cheap.

Thanks Tamer for the share.