Author Topic: Toy Fair February 2015 Hasbro Q&A  (Read 10353 times)

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
Toy Fair February 2015 Hasbro Q&A
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »
This year, I only got a precious few minutes with Joe Ninnivaggi, but I did manage to get some questions in.

Please keep in mind that due to Disney gag orders, Joe could not talk, at all, about anything that had not been shown already.

Q)  Boba Fett, Bossk, IG-88.......whose the next 6" bounty hunter on tap for 2015/16?

A) None of the remaining bounty hunters are on the short list for the 6" line. - When tweeting this response, I inadvertently omitted 4-LOM's name, listing only Dengar and Zuckuss.

Q) There is confusion about Hasbro's plans for the 3-3/4 inch line and differences in articulation between the Black Series and Rebels etc. Will all figures across this scale eventually assume the newer five points of articulation model?

A) The Black Series will continue. The Black Series has another wave releasing in the spring that was showcased at our Pre-NYCC event. After that, it will take a rest until after "The Force Awakens" is released. The Black Series will continue after that.

Q) With the new star wars marvel comics that are coming out, are there going to be new figures of the characters of these new comic series?

A) While there is nothing planned for this segment at this time, all of those characters are available to us as long as Disney considers them canon.  - I inquired about Jaxxon as he appeared on 2 of the variant covers for the most recent "Star Wars" #1 and we all had a good laugh.

Q) Is a redemption figure to eat up some slow moving stock possible this year?

A) Nothing is planned at this point but it is an excellent idea.

Q) Why haven't we seen a B.A.D. mold for original trilogy C-3PO yet?  According to forum posts and chat boards, collectors would much rather see that C-3PO coming out instead of any other version.  Is one coming?

A) Not anytime soon. BAD is more of a Disney park thing right now.  - I brought up R5-G19, who is a recent Black Series release made up of BAD parts, and Joe said that it can be done on a case by case basis depending on what molds are available at any given time but there are no active plans for more BAD figures right now.

Q) It has been said that the 3 3/4" Black Series is considered a line for collectors while the 5 poa are more for kids/parents.  Why, then, have there been so few collector-focused character choices in the line?

A) The Black Series is for both collectors and casual fans, not one or the other exclusively. Collectors can get their Mossep Bineed and Toryn Farr, but the casual fans can still get their Darth Vader and Yoda.

Q) Looking at your new REBELS AT-DP and the other walkers I have in my collection, why do you leave the openings in the inner side of the legs? Any chance you might cover up the walker legs or create a snap type insert to cover  them for any future reissues?

A) That is something we can talk to our design team about for the future.

Q) What is up with the missing paint on the 6" scale Wampa's horns?

A) The first prototype we showed off last year was missing these paint apps, but as you can see from our current prototype on display, the paint apps are present and will be present when the product reaches retail later this year.  - I can confirm that, yes, the current prototype in the showroom had the horns painted and the proof is in the photos I posted on our Facebook page.

Q) Can we look forward to any new OT or PT vehicles in the near future?

A) There are no more OT or PT vehicles planned beyond the currently announced wave 2 of Rebels branded vehicles.

Q) Do you think we will ever see a new, super articulated Jawa with a full cloth robe like the Vintage Kenner figure?

A) There is nothing planned anytime soon. As you know there are 2 excellent Jawas coming this spring, but if we ever go back to the well on that character again, that would be a fun Kenner-homage to do.

BONUS!

I had the opportunity on Sunday to speak to a couple of other companies while at the Javits Center.

The Bridge Direct
Q) Is there any chance that we will ever see the remaining figures from "The Hobbit" that were shown the last 2 consecutive Toy Fairs but were never released?

A) We would love for them to be released so that collectors could complete the cast of characters, but there just wasn't enough support at the retail level for us to have gone ahead with producing the last waves of figures. Most of the figures we showed at the last 2 Toy Fairs were tooled up so they could still be produced someday. We have been looking for an Exclusive partner to work with us so that we can at least get the remaining Dwarves from Thorin's party into collectors' hands, but we have not come to any agreements yet.

Q) What was the reasoning on making Smaug so tiny in relation to the 3 3/4" line?

A) We would have loved to make him as large and majestic as he deserved to be, but the manufacturing cost would have been insane, let alone the retail cost. With the lack of retail support, we had to go to Warner Brothers Direct Sales just to get it released at all. We barely broke even on the production costs but we really wanted the fans to have a Smaug in their collections, even if he ended up being on the small side.

Underground Toys
Q) Walgreens is clearancing out your "Doctor Who" 3 3/4" line, was this a move to sell out older stock making way for the next wave or are they dropping the line?

A) We had no idea that they were clearance pricing our figures. We will touch base with them and find out. Watch out Facebook page for any updates.

Q) Do you have any plans to try and get your "Doctor Who" line into any other major American retailers besides Walgreens and Toys R Us?

A) We would love to get a stronger retail presence for "Doctor Who" but it is up to the buyers. That's why we are here at Toy Fair today.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:20:24 AM by Tamer »
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: 2015 Hasbro Q&A
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »
Thanks again, Dan, for asking those. Hasbro was sure tight lipped but the bridge direct news was something I didn't know about. Too bad about those two waves

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Toy Fair February 2015 Hasbro Q&A
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
Dan I don't know how you fit in so many questions when one soul was "dominating" the time.

Folks rest assured plans are in the works to perhaps glean a bit more information, but at present I am not at liberty to discuss it. Just understand we will continue to ask your questions within the parameters that are given. I think one must also note that while we are a bit frustrated right now at the lack of new news in regards to our favorite action figure line we would be a bit premature to lay all the blame at Hasbro's feet. Indeed one must note they feel the same way about not being able to share new information, but the gag order they are under regarding the new movies is unprecedented.

I know folks are not going to like all the answers here and we are never probably going to be totally satisfied, but I think if we can wait till the new movie hits then perhaps we might be might all be smiling a bit more. Thank you Dan for braving some chilly temperatures to bring us what news you did. I had you between a rock and a hard place and you found us a few pearls.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
Thanks for the QnA.  Would have loved for some perspective on the "hollow big vehicles" and why they don't try something like THIS instead in the hollow format, because for the life of me I don't understand their approach to playsets/dioramas.  They have totally dissed the market, which is unfortunate.

Good session, shame they make it so short.  I am glad they were posed the C-3PO BAD mold question, I've been trying to get that in front of them for a long time.  Also great follow up pointing out they are already doing an astromech in the black series using BAD parts - nice to point out their contradiction there.  They need to be challenged on their "canned responses" like that as long as it's done in a professional manner.

My son will be especially glad to hear that the Bridge Direct may be able to get their "unmade" figures out still someday. 

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:14:31 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »
My new guess is, they do intend to go all out for The Force Awakens but, after past times, they are scared of a multiple set of lines release blunder. The corresponding 3d release of TPM with its big line that overstocked the shelves still pings in our heads and theirs, I'm sure. There was the rushed release and then pushback date of the movie GI Joe retaliation and the corresponding first wave of the line of figures and vehicles which resulted in a lower articulation and detail allowance that kind of stagnated that whole movie line. They still never recovered from the shock of having to shuffle the production schedule in between that line and what they had intended to produce. Whatever zombie commander themed waves they had planned would have rocked the toy isle.
  It's all a big gamble, really. What is the right thing to do at the right time?
They are still tight with their funds so they are going to aim em at the new movie stuff and see if it will clean the slate enough to get the machine running again, like in the old days. Then we will see whatever happens with our non TFA lines or as the case will be, the integrated lines.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »
What is the right thing to do at the right time?

The back and forth with Lucasfilm, Disney and the GI JOE thing surely made things harder.

I think the solution is to just make quality product and not be so overzealous with production of launch waves.  Every time they do that, it kills distribution.  Just create good products that appeal to adult collectors, and include a healthy mix of characters that kids love.  Then they get a share of both bases, rather than trying to niche everything to death. 

Go back to basics with a healthy 3.75" line, and supplement it with some sub-lines but don't take the focus off what the market always wants.  Branch out in the 3.75" line a bit more with some nice environment pieces.  Bring out some mini-rigs that appeal to both markets.  Sprinkle in figures that have a high demand like the TVC Royal Guard and Ponda Baba rather than staying over-zealous with X-Wing pilots.  Offer variations in army builders to keep things fresh.  Tighten up quality control with keeping an eye on paint applications.  More oversight will prevent issues like that, including disasters like bubble-gate, etc. 

And keep a steady communication line with the people that buy the stuff.  They've gotten so far away from that and look what has happened; their experts clearly aren't as smart as they think they are.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:53:11 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:05 AM »
Clint, you pose a good question about what is the right thing to do.

One of the things that keeps plaguing me is the fact that they are always trying to find some "new" product line like telepods or podracers or the command series when they should be focusing on their bread and butter which is action figures. Now, I am all for trying to find a new product line, but don't make the entire focus that!

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
"We’ve got some exciting things planned for the rest of this year. We love big vehicles. We love big playsets. We love big vehicles that can serve as playsets. We love it all, so we have some very big things in our future."

^ That's from the SSG Q&A... could be a good sign?

0/

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »
"We’ve got some exciting things planned for the rest of this year. We love big vehicles. We love big playsets. We love big vehicles that can serve as playsets. We love it all, so we have some very big things in our future."

^ That's from the SSG Q&A... could be a good sign?

0/

Back in October, Joe Ninivaggi said that we could see a large vehicle for the new movie and that a playset wasn't out of the question.

I have a feeling that we might just see a rerelease of the BMF with a new sensor dish though.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
With the obligatory exclusive versions for each.
I read about the six inch Rex being pushed back until after TFA. I know this sounds selfish but that tees me off. I need me some pistols, holsters, pauldrons, and kamas. Now, I may have to make em myself as I am not going to be able to wait that long.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 06:54:13 AM »
Yes, I did read that about perhaps some exciting news if we can just wait till Episode 7 releases. I have even read rumors that JJ is trying to push the movie release till this summer. I am not sure I agree with Hasbro's or should I say Lucasfilm's decree of not releasing action figure or product information till the movie releases. I think they could really stir things up into a frenzy and get folks really excited with sharing a bit of action figure news.

Clint, I haven't heard a thing about a six inch Rex to be honest. I think your rationalization about it being pushed back till after E7 releases is a good one. Folks, I also think there is primarily going to be a push for mainly E7 Product so don't get too disappointed if OT or PT films don't see too much product.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
The toys in the aisles and all that are going to spark movie interest, so it would go against everything in the marketing plan to move the movie forward like that so far in front of the merchandise.

If the toys are being released in September, it would be cool to see them move the movie up a few months though...

0/

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 05:47:06 AM »
My bad, that was the answer to another sites question about the Rex.  I had assumed that the upcoming waves clone captain fig was going to be a "surprise Rex" when in fact, it was to be just a reprint of the Aotc shiney clone as confirmed by dorkside toys pre order list.