Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 135170 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures. Search for Luke.
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
Thank you Tamer and Mr. Jedi. The tree turned out better than expected. The colored filter on the camera makes it look pretty much like Dagobah.
     My next dio will be the search for Luke. Hoth Han and Tauntaun. The figures are relatively low quality compared to the other Deluxe figures but its freggin huge. So I'll modify them a little and build a dio base for them in the next week or so. Here is what I have layed out. Just a mock up now I'm making a better escarpment base tomorrow. Now that I've made my decision.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:37:17 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JDeck's dios & figures.
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2015, 04:00:00 AM »
The figures are relatively low quality compared to the other Deluxe figures but its freggin huge.

I hate to hear that. I haven't opened mine up yet, but I would love to see you do a full work up on the pros and cons of this figure. We have an Imperial Review Section where you can review figures. Heaven knows I don't tend to it regularly enough.

Can't wait to see how that Hoth Dio turns out.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
The figures are relatively low quality compared to the other Deluxe figures but its freggin huge.

I hate to hear that. I haven't opened mine up yet, but I would love to see you do a full work up on the pros and cons of this figure. We have an Imperial Review Section where you can review figures. Heaven knows I don't tend to it regularly enough.

Can't wait to see how that Hoth Dio turns out.

I'm not much of a critic up until last October  I hadn't bought a figure since POTF2 so I missed a lot, but my opinion is this.
    Well you know its a $40 figure. So it will be average since you have a figure and a large beast. The tauntaun has a nice headsculpt its just the plastic feels cheap all around. Real soft hollow plastic. I have a problem with most Black Series paint apps, so you know I'll repaint.Its articulation is okay swivel legs ball joint ankles but without the knees its not very posable. The saddle is the most disappointing part. Made of rubbery plastic The belts pockets and packs are molded on. Not convincing to me. and Han's scanner is permanently attached which sucks. It plugs into the back of the beast and the underbelly straps are painted on. The Han figure reminds me of the kenner figure the headsculpt is plain not as detailed as the smuggler Han. Han's coat is painted blue, I know its a debated topic but in the movie it is indeed brown. At a distance though it looks pretty good. Unless you plan to display him riding or in a dio or something special, I'd keep him in the box. Like I said its a lot of figure for the deluxe price.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:45:03 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures. The Search For Luke.
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
I constructed the dio base and applied a base coat. It reminds me of the "Stonewall Jackson" Monument downtown. Haha.  I'm starting to like this Tauntaun it just needs a repaint. The first impression wasnt good but together with Han riding, it looks great, separately not so great. I put a mask on Han, I have a whole slew of things I want to do with these guys. Its a work in progress
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:58:33 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »
Excellent work mate everything from the tree to the ground work is just perfect 10/10.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »
Excellent work mate everything from the tree to the ground work is just perfect 10/10.

Ron
    Thanks Ron. Appreciate it bud.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
Added some snow and ice to my Search for Luke dio. I'll probably add some more but just waiting for things to dry.  I also repainted the Tauntaun and added some snow to it and Han.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:04:14 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »
Another home run mate, this is just brilliant I love everything about it. The 6" figures just let you add so much detail and it shows here with this piece 10/10.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »
Another home run mate, this is just brilliant I love everything about it. The 6" figures just let you add so much detail and it shows here with this piece 10/10.

Ron
Thanks again. What do they say, once you go Black (series) you don't go back. Haha. I find it much easier to customize and build dios for 1/12 than 1/18. The conversions are a lot simpler, 1 inch=1 foot. And they do pack a lot of detail.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:58:34 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
Well I'd say the dio is pretty much done I might work on the figures a little more. Basically its a bluefoam base I sculpted with a knife and a lighter. The snow is Spackle I got at the dollar tree, 1/3 the price I usually pay. To top off the snow I used baking soda, if its good enough for ILM its damn sure good enough for me. The ice was made from silicone goo the kind you use on bathtubs. That's it real simple stuff.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:46:04 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures. AT-ST Kashyyyk Dio
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2015, 03:24:31 PM »
   Hello again. I just got finished building this Bandai AT-ST and I'm fairly impressed. I'm so used to the MPC models that I could build in my sleep. I has about 20 POA and many small details including individual tubes and bolts. The instructions, like all Bandai kits are in Japanese but its very well illustrated, just a few parts I wish were in English but I sort of figured it out. It needs paint and weathering and I plan to build a Kashyyyk (Wookiee home world) diorama. I still think they should have had the climactic battle on Kashyyyk instead of Endor, but it is what it is.

I painted and weathered it. I might have gone overboard. But it is a jungle version. What I call the Imperial Occupying Forces (Kashyyyk). In my diorama I'll be using the star wars miniatures because they come out to about 1/48. I'll have sand troopers redesignated to jungletroopers and Wookiee resistance fighters. The setting is about 10 BBY, during a wookiee insurrection.

While I'm on a Kashyyyk kick I'll make my 6" Tropical Stormtrooper, its just a Sandtrooper in the jungle. I wanted to do something with this guy. I may do a few more IOF(K) troopers.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:07:22 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures. Imperial Kashyyyk Marine diorama.
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2015, 05:55:42 PM »
  I started work on my 6" Imperial Kashyyyk Marine diorama. I still need to add tropical plants, water puddles and whatnot. I might change his position or weapon, he sort of reminds me of one of the 7 dwarves going to work, for some reason. Anyways I wanted the dio depicting a stormtroop entering the jungle from the beach.  I made the tree out of aluminum foil and tissue paper. The ground work is sand/PVA glue on the beach side and same dirt as my Dagobah dio on the jungle side. The moss I used is several years old and is turning yellow it wasnt really noticable until photographed, so I'll replace that. So its close but still needs work.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:36:20 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2015, 05:45:45 AM »
Wow, there has been some great work here since I have been gone. Love the Taun Taun and Hoth Han Dio. That Bandai AT-ST looks good too. What size is that? I didn't even remember them making something like this. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
Hey thanks Tamer, glad you like the Hoth dio. The next thing I need to build is a light box for photos, you know. The AT-ST is 1/48 scale about 6 inches or so, you can adjust the stance and height. It was released by Bandai in February 2015 for around $26 American. They're pretty much revamping all the old MPC kits. Plus a bunch of 6" figure kits too. Stormtrooper Vader, c3po, r2/r5, scout/speeder bike, x-wing, snow speeder, tie fighter, advanced tie fighter. Soon will have sand troopers boba fett, slave I, Y-wing. Rumors include star destroyer and AT-AT! They are excellent kits waaayyy waaayyy waaayyy better than AMT-MPC-Revell kits.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:02:36 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures. AT-ST Kashyyyk assault.
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2015, 12:07:26 PM »
  Making progress on my Kashyyyk dio. Again I made the tree from aluminium foil and tissue paper. The foil I think works great you get a lot of detail and its mailable. I also made the sand from fine sand plus PVA glue.
    Also painted and added jungle side soil, made from same stuff as my dagobah dio. Just need my jungle plants and figures and I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:04:14 PM by JDeck »