Author Topic: ><DarthSinister's>< Must See TV  (Read 8113 times)

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
><DarthSinister's>< Must See TV
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
I'm gonna start this and attempt to keep it up.

A little reasoning first....    I have a hard time watching modern TV and Movies because I have inadvertently DE-programed myself. This accidental purge started when I picked up watching old westerns about 10 years ago. I remembered all of these great westerns from my childhood and it was like seeing an old friend again. I think AMC was the start of it because on Saturdays they sometimes do Cowboys all day. After several "Cowboy Saturdays" I began to search them out on any channel that was showing them (like a crack addict). I found that AMC, THIS and religious channels like INSP showed them... and them I found TCM.

Turrner Classics would show a few Westerns and I was on it. After a while I found myself lingering for a war picture after the western I had watched. Then it got worse. I started to watch any old movie that I could find and soon had began a stint with Silent Cinema as well. I quickly found that I liked the old films and TV shows better than anything that's coming out of Hollywood today. I felt I could relate more to the "real men" of old and the absence of political correctness that was old Hollywood. The lack of CGI helped too.

Fast forward to present day, TCM is almost all I watch. I'm hard pressed to find anything modern that I can actually relate to. And no, it's not because I'm old (for you youngsters out there). It's because I'm not as mesmerized by the shiny new effect or pitiful writing or agenda filled crap that is today's mind numbing block-buster. I do like some modern stuff, "The Walking Dead" is a big favorite of mine simply because I started my Zombie love with George Romero's 1968 "Night Of The Living Dead" and I liked the Christopher Nolan Batman series and a few others... so I'm not totally out, but I feel it's very hard to go anywhere without knowing where you've been first.

So with all of that, I start this. This is a guide to film and TV that I think some of you may enjoy and may already know, but may need a re-introduction or an introduction too. I focus a lot on "Family Friendly" and if it's not I'll tell you so the little ones are not harmed.

First up this Saturday May 24 at 7pm eastern time on TCM is a must see!!
THE DIRTY DOZEN

Now this one is not that family friendly but what a great film!
The Dirty Dozen is a 1967 war film directed by Robert Aldrich, released by MGM, and starring Lee Marvin. The picture was filmed in England and features an ensemble supporting cast including Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Telly Savalas and Robert Webber. The film is based on E. M. Nathanson's novel of the same name that was possibly inspired by a real life group called the "Filthy Thirteen".

In England, in the spring of 1944, Allied forces are preparing for the D-Day invasion. Among them are Major John Reisman (Lee Marvin), an OSS officer; his commander, Regular Army Major General Sam Worden (Ernest Borgnine); and his former commander Colonel Everett Dasher Breed (Robert Ryan). Early in the film the personalities of the three men are shown to clash and the characters of the individualistic Reisman and the domineering Breed are established. Reisman is aided by his friend, the mild-mannered Major Max Armbruster (George Kennedy).

Major Reisman is assigned an unusual and top-secret pre-invasion mission: take a small unit of soldiers convicted of felonies and turn them into a commando squad to be sent on a special mission, an airborne infiltration and assault on a chateau near Rennes in Brittany. The chateau will be hosting a meeting of dozens of high-ranking German officers, the elimination of which will presumably hamper the German military's ability to respond to D-Day. Those felons who survive the mission will have their sentences commuted. It quickly becomes clear that both Reisman and his superiors regard the operation as a near-suicide mission and expect that few, if any of the felons will return.

Reisman is assigned twelve convicts, all either serving lengthy sentences or destined to be executed. Notable members include slow-witted Vernon Pinkley (Donald Sutherland); Robert Jefferson (Jim Brown), an African American soldier convicted of killing a man in a racial brawl; Samson Posey (Clint Walker), a gentle giant who becomes enraged when pushed; Joseph Wladislaw (Charles Bronson) a taciturn coal miner recruited for his ability to speak German, convicted of shooting his squad's medic; A.J. Maggott (Telly Savalas), a misogynist and religious fanatic; and Victor Franko (John Cassavetes), a former member of the Chicago organized-crime Syndicate who has extreme problems with authority. Under the supervision of Reisman and military police Sergeant Bowren (Richard Jaeckel), the group begin training. After being forced to construct their own living quarters, the twelve individuals are trained in combat by Reisman and gradually learn how to operate as a group.

As a side note, the two movies directly following this one are as equally fantastic. "Where Eagles Dare" 1969 Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood and "Kelly's Heroes" 1970 Clint Eastwood and Telly Savalas. Check em' out!

On TCM Sunday May 25 at 7pm eastern time is a great comedy!
No Time For Sergeants

This one is great for the whole family!
No Time for Sergeants is a 1958 American comedy film directed by Mervyn LeRoy starring Andy Griffith and featuring Myron McCormick, Don Knotts and most of the original Broadway cast. Warner Brothers contract player Nick Adams joined the cast as Stockdale's fellow military draftee Benjamin B. Whitledge, as did Murray Hamilton as Irving S. Blanchard. The film is based on a play inspired by the original novel. The original Broadway play is where Andy Griffith and Don Knotts first met and became best friends.

Will Stockdale is a backward, backwoods rube from outside Callville, Georgia who may or may not be smarter than he looks. Accused by Mr. McKinney (Dub Taylor) the head of the draft board of being a draft dodger, it turns out that Stockdale's draft notices have been hidden from him by his father, who doesn't want the boy to leave home and be ridiculed. His father tells Will to be careful going to big cities like Macon and Atlanta. Pa Stockdale says he has been to those cities many years before and he was ridiculed.

Wrongfully shackled by McKinney, Stockdale joins a group of new United States Air Force draftees being transported to basic training. They include the obnoxious bully Irving S. Blanchard, who having undergone ROTC training, volunteers to be in charge. (Stockdale hears that Irving had ROTC and thinks it's a disease.)

They report to boot camp, where Stockdale and his equally dim, but smarter friend, Ben Whitledge, begin the struggle to join the infantry.

And don't forget the famous toilet seat salute!!!

I genuinely hope that some of you take a chance on some of these classics. I'm sure you'll find them very enjoyable and a great family experience. Try it you'll like it!

I'll try to do this on a weekly basis and comments before and after the films are very welcome!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: ><DarthSinister's>< Must See TV
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:37:11 AM »
I do find myself gravitating towards older series and movies like this too. Great idea.

If it rains Saturday I know what I might be doing!

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
No Time for Sergeants is a personal favorite of mine!
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
I love to watch Andy, he's one of my favorites. Him and Don Knotts together was the best! This one is one of my favorites as well seagol.

Here's one more to round out the Memorial Day weekend. If you watch any of these watch this one, especially if you've never seen it. It's worth recording and I must say is one of the best films ever made. This is one your significant other would probably like to watch with you. It's "The Best Years Of Our Lives" and it's very simply about three service men returning home from WW2 and having to re-adjust to civilian living. I can't say enough about this movie and especially Harold Russell who played Homer Parish the sailor who lost his hands. (Here's A Link To His Wiki Page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Russell) He steals the show but all are wonderful here! Again if You've never seen it you simply must. Rent it or something.

The Best Years Of Our Lives

TCM Monday 26 9:30PM CST

The Best Years of Our Lives is a 1946 American drama film directed by William Wyler and starring Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright, Virginia Mayo, and Harold Russell. The film is about three United States servicemen readjusting to civilian life after coming home from World War II. Samuel Goldwyn was inspired to produce a film about veterans after reading an August 7, 1944 article in Time about the difficulties experienced by men returning to civilian life. Goldwyn hired former war correspondent MacKinlay Kantor to write a screenplay. His work was first published as a novella, Glory for Me, which Kantor wrote in blank verse.[3][4] Robert Sherwood then adapted the novella as a screenplay.[4]

The Best Years of Our Lives won seven Academy Awards in 1946, including Best Picture, Best Director (William Wyler), Best Actor (Fredric March), Best Supporting Actor (Harold Russell), Best Film Editing (Daniel Mandell), Best Adapted Screenplay (Robert Sherwood), and Best Original Score (Hugo Friedhofer).[5] In addition to its critical success, the film quickly became a great commercial success upon release. It became the highest-grossing film and most attended film in both the United States and UK since the release of Gone with the Wind, selling approximately 55 million tickets in the United States [6] which equaled a gross of $23,650,000.[7] It remains the sixth most-attended film of all time in the UK, with over 20 million tickets sold.[8] The film had one of the highest viewing figures of all time, with ticket sales exceeding $20.4 million.[9] It was the first of several films to win the Best Picture Oscar in which World War II figured as part of the plot.

The story concentrates on the social re-adjustment of three World War II servicemen, each from a different station of society. Al Stephenson returns to an influential banking position, but finds it hard to reconcile his loyalties to ex-servicemen with new commercial realities. Fred Derry is an ordinary working man who finds it difficult to hold down a job or pick up the threads of his marriage. Having had both hands burnt off during the war, Homer Parrish is unsure that his fiancée's feelings are still those of love and not those of pity. Each of the veterans faces a crisis upon his arrival, and each crisis is a microcosm of the experiences of many American warriors who found an alien world awaiting them when they came marching home.

Here's a clip......

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=the+best+years+of+our+lives&vid=3ae320db3c2657f5342d5ce7f0f1c063&l=3%3A50&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608052131003567377%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5-k2wdwxvSI&tit=The+Best+Years+of+Our+Lives+%281946%29&c=13&sigr=11a9isvoq&sigt=11273n80f&ct=p&pstcat=arts+culture+and+entertainment&age=93610472984&&tt=b

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Heads Up All! 

This Tuesday on Turner Classic at 7PM CST is a feature block of Science Fiction! The theme is "The Final Frontier" for the evening and there is an amazing group of films being shown, un-cut and commercial free! (as always)

The night starts out with the incredible...

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

At 9:45PM CST

Alien (1979)

At 12AM CST

Destination Moon (1950)

1:30AM CST

Marooned (1969)

3:45AM CST

Queen of Outer Space (1958)

Great stuff! Maybe some of you can catch a couple.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 03:37:51 AM »
Wow, that is a great line up. I thought I had seen all Sci-Fi movies and see I have not. I am gonna tape a few of these. Thanks for the notice!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
Has anyone heard of this guy? Svengoolie?

He's an Elvira type, hosting old horror movies on a syndicated program out of the Chicago area. He can be seen on Saturday nights on ME-TV (a network similar to TV LAND). I've been watching off and on for some time now. He shows some really great films that I personally haven't seen since I was a kid.

This month is especially cool because he's showing HAMMER HORROR. Anytime is worth a look at his show but HAMMER HORROR is great stuff! Try to give him a look if you can.

Here is a link to his web page:  http://svengoolie.com/

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Family time video rentals are something we do on Friday nights in my household. We buy some boxed candy and pop some popcorn and drink soda and collectively sit down as a family and enjoy a movie together.

I have three girls (1yr, 5yrs and 8yrs), so there are a lot of girly movies passing through. Don't let that fool you though! These little girls love Star Wars and Ninja Turtles and so on. I personally don't care for regular TV programing when it comes to my kids. The idiocy, violence and debauchery that is modern television is poisoning the minds of our youth and culture in America so we try to keep it as nice as we can on movie night.  

We use NetFlix and get our family films through the mail. For all of you with little girls here is a thumbs up winner according to my brood that you might like to pass on to yours:

Now don't be fooled this is the 1961 version of this movie not the re-make with that trash-bag Lindsey Lohan. (She is not allowed on my TV!) My girls loved it! Give it a try if your looking for something to watch with your kids.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »
I hear you DS, even the Disney TV shows show kids being snotty and rude and nasty to their adult caregivers which are more often than not regular mom and dad. We are seriously considering only keeping a few channels or canceling all together.

Right now I have my family hooked on Firefly and Farscape which are both streamable on Netflix.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
During the Summer Months  and every Sunday evening on TCM is a really cool programing event called ESSENTIALS jr. This is a single film chosen by the host, Bill Hader and is fun for the whole family.

This Sunday is a fun one, the 1956 original "GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS!".

This is on at 7:00PM CST.

Following Godzilla is another classic beast 1949 "MIGHTY JOE YOUNG". This one brings back Creature Feature memories from my childhood.

This one is on at 8:45PM CST.

If you ever wanted to try to watch a silent film Sunday is also the time for that, especially this Sunday. At 11:00PM CST for this Sunday's Silent Sunday is 1920s "THE MARK OF ZORRO" with Douglas Fairbanks. I've seen this one and it's a lot of fun.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »
I went back through and watched many of the older Godzilla movies (including that first one) right before I went to see the new film. I must say there is still something about them that holds my interest.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »
I went back through and watched many of the older Godzilla movies (including that first one) right before I went to see the new film. I must say there is still something about them that holds my interest.

So how was the new flick? I hated the one from the 90's.

This Sunday on TCM the Summer fun continues!

Jason And The Argonauts (1963)

7PM CST 7/6
Todd Armstrong portrays Jason in the Greek legend about the rightful heir to the throne of Thessaly. Honor Blackman plays the goddess Hera who spares his life and sends him on a mission aboard a ship named Argo to find the mystical Golden Fleece. As other Mount Olympus celestial beings watch from above, he is plagued by a host of obstacles, from a giant statue that comes to life and howling harpies who plague Patrick Troughton as the blind prophet Phineas, to gigantic rocks, a seven-headed hydra, and an army of battling skeletons. Supporting characters in this epic classic include Nancy Kovack and Nigel Green. Ray Harryhausen's legendary special effects bring it all alive. (1963)

After that...

The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad (1958)

9PM CST 7/6
The mighty Sinbad, played by Kerwin Mathews, is besieged by a slew of beastly adventures on his way to Baghdad with Kathryn Grant as his fiancée, the Princess Parisa. But our hero can't catch a break: on his voyage, they land on the isle of Colossa where the crew battles a gigantic, bestial one-eyed Cyclops. Luckily, the mysterious evil magician Sokurah, played by Torin Thatcher, comes to the rescue with a magic lamp. But they must go back to the evil isle to find the egg of a roc, a fierce, giant bird, so the princess can be returned to her normal size after being miniaturized by Sokurah. Along the way, they encounter more mythological creatures, including a two-headed roc, a fire breathing dragon, and an army of battling skeletons. This hi-def version adds to the magic of Ray Harryhausen's special effects. (1958)

Great family viewing!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 05:23:57 AM »
Well, overall I did like the movie. My one gripe is we get to see very little of him in actual conflict or his full body on the screen. I will say the finishing move he makes on his enemy pretty much makes up for it though. I will admit though that I liked all of the G movies even the terrible 90's versions.

And I have both of those movies on VHS (really need to get these on dvd if I can find em). I really enjoyed Sinbad. I keep hoping we will go back to some effects of creatures like this for the new Episode Seven.