Poll

Which of the following statements most closely matches your feelings on a 6"x6" ceiling tile being included in the "Modular Starship Interior" kickstarter campaign?

It should be the third tile of the initial goal.
It would make a nice stretch goal.
It doesn't have to be part of the set.
I have no desire for a ceiling panel.

Author Topic: Econoliner: Corridors - NOW WITH PROTOTYPES!  (Read 12179 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Econoliner: Corridors - NOW WITH PROTOTYPES!
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »
Production Platform 3 is about to launch a Kickstarter campaign to bring to life a series of action-figure scaled diorama pieces.  You can preview the details here.

Some of you have seen our items before and know the quality of our work.  We want to step up our game and bring something out that while not movie-accurate (like the Galactic Merchants offerings), is movie-evocative and useful in a wider range of applications.  We also have our eyes on future pieces to develop and make available.  Check out our Kickstarter preview (we plan to have a video produced by the weekend) and keep an eye on our Facebook page for more announcements.

But at the end of the run, ya gotta ask yourself... Would you like to see these walls standing behind your custom figures??

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:36:22 PM by DocOutlands »

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Re: Coming soon - Modular Starship Interiors
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
Now they look impressive.  I'm keen.
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
Even better - we got ahold of the file and my CAD artist discovered they are not featureless on the backs ... we have TWELVE panels, effectively.  She is currently hard at work preparing them for printing.

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
 ;D

AWESOME

ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »
You name a price, I'll name my paypal account.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
Doc, how do these all fit together? I would love to get my hands on a set. Any flooring planned later down the road. I have a ton of questions. Just great to see this getting off the ground.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »
The way I am structuring the Kickstarter is thusly:

Goal $ - Gets one wall panel and one floor panel 3D-printed in high-detail. 
     Initial design-work has already been done on a blank/featureless 6"x6" interlocking floor-tile.  *RIGHT NOW* the designer is working on creating a textured version of the floor-tile using a purchased design.  There is a tab-n-slot system that - according to our modeling program - allows the floor tiles to lock together from any side.
     Initial "proof-of-concept" work was done on the first wall panel earlier today to identify unprintable areas.  I think a couple of the guys will be happy to hear the first panel will have exposed piping.  8)  The walls will have a tab-and-slot system similar to the floor tiles so that they interlock, as well.

We are planning a ceiling series, as well, whose interlocks will work with the walls in the same way the walls and floors fit together, allowing dio-builders to put together a complete one-sided corridor of a strip of floor tiles, wall tiles, and ceiling tiles that all lock together, or an alcove display of a floor, 2 walls at a right angle, and a ceiling.  Today has me convinced this is VERY possible.

Stretch-goal 1$ - Adds another wall panel into production.
Stretch-goal 2$ - Adds another wall panel into production.
Stretch-goal 3$ - Adds another wall panel into production.
...and so on.

Our initial plan was a series of one floor-tile and 6 wall-tiles.  We may modify this plan slightly, by adding floor tiles in as stretch goals, either alternating with the wall tiles or have them occur as pairs - every stretch goal unlocks a floor AND a wall tile.  Plus, we discovered our wall panels are actually double-sided, adding to the number of potential walls we could offer.  I'm leery of overextending our first series on the Kickstarter campaign, though.  If the demand is there, we can always come back later and run a series of *new* floor and wall tiles.

PLEASE go ahead and ask questions, Tamer (and everyone else)!!  That way, if *we've* missed something, your questions will catch it and we'll get it addressed BEFORE we are 5 miles up the river in Injun Country!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
Here is a look at our current detailed floor tile (it could work well as wall detail, too!) with additional blank tiles in place alongside.  I'm not totally satisfied with the current results - we're going to look at it again tomorrow and try another approach.  But you can get an idea as to where we're heading from this.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »
Project announced on the front page. I left a comment on your kickstarter preview too. I was ready to back this puppy, turn it on! :D

Offline IMPURGE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
thats stellar work. i mean wow that is VERY impressive. can't wait to see more.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Saw that, Tamer!  Gave me a good morning laugh - I can tell you are READY!!   8)  We're going to put together a sales video to go with the Kickstarter campaign to show what we do, can do, and plan to do.

IMPURGE - *as of yet* the wall panels are ONLY computer models.  The purpose of the Kickstarter will be to let us have them actually physically created so that they can be molded and cast and sold into the hands of people like you and Tamer and Chewie. (I say that, because I would LOVE to see Chewie shoot a few panels of a Rycroft Enloe story on some of our wall & floor tiles!)

Should we make a ceiling tile as part of the initial set?

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
This is great Doc, I would definitely be interested in these.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
Just added a poll to this thread.  Would appreciate everyone's input.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
I love these.  The wall and floor panels are genius.  
I like the idea of ceiling panels, but can only think those will make setting up and viewing the diorama harder.

Offline IMPURGE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
I love these.  The wall and floor panels are genius.  
I like the idea of ceiling panels, but can only think those will make setting up and viewing the diorama harder.

i agree but having the option available that much better and that much potential sales. besides a ceiling panel could be used for anything with right customizer.