Author Topic: How do I explain that the prequels are good?  (Read 8369 times)

Offline rex smoke

• A Droid's Worst Nightmare
  • Commander
How do I explain that the prequels are good?
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
So my friend is really being ignorant here. He says all prequels are horrible along with all the characters in them and George Lucas is a complete idiot. How can I at least convince him that George isnt what he says he is and that there is some good in the prequels?

Spookymufu

Re: How do I explain that the prequels are good?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
you cant, your friends right ;)

Offline rex smoke

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
I mean come on though you have to see some good in them!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
Right on the money. Prequels were crap. Clones are the only good thing from them
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline rex smoke

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »
Right on the money. Prequels were crap. Clones are the only good thing from them

Really guys? you dont even like jango or the arena battles?

Offline Hand So Low

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
Dude, there's a lot wrong with the prequels. there's absolutely no comparison to the OT. My biggest complaint with the PT is the universe is in no way believable. Whereas the OT universe looked real. How can the technology get better when you go back in time? CG yoda was retarded. Jar Jar made PM almost unwatchable. The best character was killed in the first movie (Qui-Gon). Hayden Christensen (sp?) is a terrible actor. The story was way too big for 3 movies. And to be honest, Lucas isnt a good director or screenwriter. The lines in epIV are laughable, but the lines in the PT are unbearably corny. The "love" between Anakin and Padme felt very forced and that was basically the crux of all three movies. The worst thing GL did was turn Vader into a whiney b*tch. Remember epII "Obi-Wan's holding me back!!".

Im sorry, but your friend is right. I still love the universe and the figures, but the PT was OK at best.

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »

They ruined the man behind the dented helmet by giving us his past. He was much more bad when he was mysterious.
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Spookymufu

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »

nope dont like Jango but I'll give you that SOME of the battels were okay, but I'll be honest, some of the vehicles were pretty cool, I mean, who doesnt like ATTEs?

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »
I'm going to weigh in here and put down why I dislike the PT in point form.

. Way to much CGI
. The CGI dominated EVERYTHING...even the story which took a back seat to the CGI
. The acting was awful
. Jake Lloyd
. Jar Jar Binks
. Goofy Battle Droids
. "Roger Roger"....makes me cringe everytime
. The political stuff was weak
. Anakin constructed C-3PO.....OH DEAR GOD....He should of been Padmes droid
. Slap stick
. No consistency in the story
. Boba Fett as a kid
. Jango being the Clone template was just an excuse to introduce Boba (fan servicing)
. Pod Race (should of been Landspeeders)
. Useless Jedi...inept fools
. The "love" story made Twilight look awesome
. Hayden whatshisname
. Whiny Anakin
. Anakin became Vader waaaay to late.  Should of happened in AOTC
. Midi-Chlorians
. Darth Maul was underused and wasn't evil enough...if at all.
. Niemodians
. Elected Queen who's a teenager!!!!!....riiiiiiight
. Queens guards and Naboo Troops just gave up....hardly protection for the Queen.
. I didn't buy the whole "slave" thing in TPM...Anakin and his mum had a fair bit of freedom IMO
. Gungans...ewwww
. Alien species that were never seen again in the OT or TCW
. No one sensed or even picked up that Palpatine is a total fascist....not even all the Jedi on Coruscant...hmmmmmm.....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
. Parking the Queens starship in the middle of the desert to avoid detection!!!...WTF...Parking a huge reflective spaceship in the desert and under 2 suns isn't exactly hiding it.
. Yodas saber fight in AOTC...makes me laugh everytime.
. Terrible dialogue
. Qui-Gon wanting to be incognito in Mos Espa....let's bring along Jar Jar....WTF?
. No mention of Ahsoka anywhere...you'd think Palpatine would of mentioned her to Anakin to lure him further away from the Jedi.
. No mention of Asajj
. Jabba the Hutt looked terrible
. Theed had no shields, no defences whatsoever...anyone could of taken them over, even my grandmother.
. Padmes botched assassination stuff in AOTC.....missile though the bedroom window...BOOM....Problem solved.
. No formation of any resistance to Palpatine...ROTS we should of seen some resistance...rioting, guerrilla groups etc etc.
. Tarkin should of been a lot more prominent in ROTS than the 2 seconds he got.
. When the Clones appeared no one questioned that and no one thought it was a tad suss that all of a sudden this army appears and Palpatine is still in power etc etc...hmmm.....ooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaay

..................shall I go on?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:30:29 PM by Wardog »
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline SOLOGRUNT

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 12:42:40 AM »
Those are some very valid points. And did I mention that is a lot of points to get across? Holy crap. The roger roger one was my favorite. Every time I hear it, it makes me cringe as well. Your point on that made me chuckle when I read it. Awesome. The Qui-gon being stealthy at Mos Espa was classic too.
Me personally, I loved the prequels. Its not up to me to decide how the movies should be made or what outweighed what, in the films. This is Lucas doing what Lucas wanted to do, and I am grateful that he shared it with the world. My moment on the soap box has ended.
"Execute order 66"

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:28:16 PM »

They ruined the man behind the dented helmet by giving us his past. He was much more bad when he was mysterious.

Whats even more sad is that Jaster Mereel, who would later take the name Boba Fett in the old stories/comics from Marvel/Darkhorse... that lasted even through the 1st canon reboot destroying the Marvel EU, he survived into Darkhorse's Twin Engines of Destruction where Fett talks about the old Marvel tale about him and the other 2 surviving Mandalorians Tobbi Dala and Fenn Shysa leading into the OT from Marvel Star Wars#68. I talked about it over at Rebelscum.com here:
 http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1105656-3/#post19345187

All of a sudden in AOTC we had a Jango Fett and a son Boba... me and my brother literally laughed at that.... seriously? thats the best the screen writer came up with?

I suggest reading the now tossed/Legends of Marvel #68 on... and Darkhorse 1Shot Boba Fett: Twin Engines of destruction when he fights Jodo Kast. Who to be honest I could take 1 mandolorian look alike and while I like the mandolorian look I feel it's being overused.... meh. personal preference there.

Like the others said.... the prequels had tons of potential but too much CGI made it too "clean" made me think i was watching a Stargate or Star Trek production at times. Hopefully the new movie will return us to the "used universe" I loved and perhaps some retooling of the dialogue some of the lines Yoda used in ROTS were horrible...lol

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
Back to the subject, the fact of the matter is everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Some like the prequels while others (Myself included) think they were rubbish for the most part.  If he has reasons for his opinion you just have to accept it.  You can't make people act the way you want (Hey, I did learn something from my divorce HA).

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
what makes the prequels good is 3 things, darth maul, young yoda, and creation of vader, what makes them bad is jar jar binks

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 02:30:38 AM »
I liked the Clones. Maul was pretty cool too (they killed him off too quick just like Fett).

I think the thing I disliked the most was the whole romance thing between Anakin and Padme. It just seemed so forced. I did not like Hayden Christenson at all.

Offline ServO

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
The prequals are what they are...it's hard to say what kind of a conversation we would be having if GL had released them in chronological order...take filmmaking technology out of the equation for a second, and imagine that TPM was the 1977 release...might we feel jaded about things like Ewoks vs. Stormtroopers, Luke's uncomfortable "NOOOOOO" in Empire, or how the apparent effects of carbon freezing on Han Solo were blindness, shaking, and gaining 30 lbs.?
We have a skewed perspective having seen 4, 5, and 6 first...being immersed in the mythos, and EU media...
I personally don't care for the "love scenes" between Anakin and Padme, and where Hayden Christansen is really an accomplished actor, I feel as though it wasn't his acting that messed up the role, but the writing, and direction.
The Gungans were dumb, but the concept of the relationship between the Gungans, and the Naboo was a solid one. The Trade Federation droids were a bit much at times, but the droids themselves were pretty cool.
The lightsaber duel between Maul and Obi Wan, although brief, was a choreographed wet dream...I think that is my favorite duel out of any of the 6 films...Obi Wan vs. Jango is another awesome duel...
Anakin was a whiny bitch...I'm thinking about his tantrum at the Lars homestead on Tat., but take your pic really...however it was cool to see him wipe out the sand people, get all aggressive with Zam, and witness his final confrontation with Duku. The confidence, and borderline anger we saw in those scenes is more how I think Anakin should have been represented consistently throughout the trilogy.
I LOVE ALL STAR WARS.
To me, The Empire Strikes Back is not only my favorite Star Wars film, but in my puny mind, the greatest film of all time...and that is something that's going to be pretty hard to beat...even with some of the promising things we've seen and heard about the upcoming episode 7, Empire will be a tough movie to top...
Again...the original trilogy certainly has its drawbacks, but I will jump at any chance I get to become immersed in that universe...
If they made a 2 hour movie of Boba Fett cleaning his kitchen, I would throw money at it, and be thankful that someone out there was willing to give me the opportunity to lose myself in that universe once again.