Author Topic: Yuzzums' Customs  (Read 110977 times)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Yuzzums' Customs
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
Thanks for all the encouraging words everyone.  As a noobie, 'm feeling very welcome.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 05:12:45 AM »
Great small fixes on this version of Padme and the bounty hunter!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Scuba Ahsoka Upgrade
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
I did this upgrade Christmas 2012 for my 9 year old daughter.  Ahsoka is by far her favorite heroine.  I never saw this figure anywhere in Maryland, so I had to make a trade on-line with a friend in Las Vegas.  Two Gammies for one Scuba Ahsoka.  You Yarders better tell my daughter a sacrifice like that that means I REALLY love her.    Now, it's a good figure, but the BIG FLAW with it is, how is Ahsoka supposed to swim with static dorsiflexed ankles?  I hate nankles and despite Hasbro's claims, my kids prefer 14 points of articulation too.  I had to upgrade the legs, before it went under the Christmas tree.

I showed this custom off on JTA, but I'd like to show it here too.  Forgive me for the rushed pics. I only had a couple of days to do this upgrade.

I removed the legs of Space Ahsoka and Scuba Ahsoka with the boil and pop method.  I molded and cast the scuba leggings and knee pads and then applied them to Space Ahsoka's legs using Lightening Bond Glue.    

I also cast the padding on the inner thighs with Kneadite and cut off the excess.

Once it all cured, I spray painted the legs with Krylon Fusion satin brown.  Talk about a perfect color match!   Pure dumb luck.  Krylon Fusion is great for a nice even base coat.   If you give it a day between coats and spray a joint flexed one day and extended the next, it will even hold up in a ball joint, and it has held up to rough play even since December 2012.  Once that was dry, I matched the paint colors of the pads and finished it with a mix of gloss and matt Vallejo varnish.  When everything was all dry, I reattached the legs.

I got it back in the blister and resealed the package with no signs of tampering.  I managed to get it wrapped and under the tree in time.  My daughter has no idea it wasn't supposed to come this way.

I cant leave any custom without application of rare earth magnets.  There are two embedding in her belt with a matching pair in light saber hilts.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:53:06 AM by Sjefke »

Offline DarthDrew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
Very cool custom and story to go along with it, this turned out great!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 02:16:24 AM »
Wow, great process here and giving up two Gammies just to get the figure? Wow, I wish you were my dad! Off to share.

that is great news about that spray paint too. Never seen one that could stand up to not having paint rub on the moving areas.

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 05:08:08 AM »
Great upgrade buddy!!! That really adds loads of playability to that figure!!!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
Never seen one that could stand up to not having paint rub on the moving areas.

I just double-checked the figure to make sure I wasn't lying.  I just took these images.  The joints seem to be holding up better than the butt and shins.  My daughter gives it a work out.

The right knee looked a little white, but I think that was dust from the plastic repair I used for the knee pads.  I touched it up with a colored Sharpie permanent marker.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:47:07 AM by Sjefke »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
Sweet fix on this figure. Nice job on sealing it back up in the card for x-mas.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
Sweet fix on this figure. Nice job on sealing it back up in the card for x-mas.

Thanks Clone Head.  Resealing was the hardest part.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:49 AM »
I can hear everyone going out to get Kyrlon SP now! Wow, that is pretty awesome.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
I can hear everyone going out to get Kyrlon SP now! Wow, that is pretty awesome.
I'm happy to share, and thanks for all the positive feedback.

I always sand the figure as well as the ball joint with 300 grit sand paper.  The directions say "For best adherence, wait 24 hours", so that's what I do for the joints.  Give a light coat with all the joints in extended position and let that dry a solid day.  Then, I flip it over and spray everything in the flexed position.  I've done this for 3 figures so far and they're holding up.

I've noticed a lot of stores are phasing out the Krylon Fusion SP lately and are going over toRustoleum.  The claim on the cans is that it will cover plastic too.   There are dozens of colors, including metallic and flat camoflage colors for the Joes out there.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:56:55 AM by Sjefke »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Woklings
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »
Here's a fun easy project.  I made a couple of dozens of these Woklings a couple of months ago.

I started off by molding and casting Legacy Nippet. I used plastic repair medium for the casting.  It sets within 20 minutes and is fully cured in 2 hour, but before cured, I cut off the arms and legs.  I then reoriented them on the body by attaching them with Kneadite.    Before that cured, I scraped lines in the Kneadite to simulate fur.  I couldn't get the detail in the faces or the nails unitil I used jewelers glasses. After that, I had to find variations to keep it interesting.  

Once I had the first standing Wokling done, I could make molds and casting of him.

Finally I got to customizing ad painting.  The cowls are just very thin plastic repair material, (not unlike Aves) laid over the heads with holes cut for the ears.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:27:49 AM by Sjefke »

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 01:42:14 AM »
lol it's the Cabbage Patch Woklings!  great work mate ! i use Kneadtite myself only over here we call it "Green Stuff" i tend to use it mainly for hair sculpting .
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:45 AM »
Wow, now thats a cool project. Thanks for sharing the step by step with us. I have to go share this. What a cool way to get an Endor size portion of little Ewoks!

Sjefke, before this leaves me, I would also like to formally invite you onto a future podcast of Custom Action Figure News if you are game.

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
These babies (pun intended!) are even more awesome in person! I'm fortunate to have a couple from the Yuzzum and cannot thank him enough   0/