Author Topic: Green Arrow and Deathstroke 2 pack reveiwed  (Read 3424 times)

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
Green Arrow and Deathstroke 2 pack reveiwed
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

We've waited for months and finally the DC Collectables Injustice Figures are arriving on the shelf, so what is the verdict, well it's not so cut and dry as we all want to say.  First, Let me address several issues some have had with these figures.

PRICE:  I have noticed many complaining on the price of these 2-packs.  Granted they aren't cheap but when you look around they also are not that expensive either.  On average, most comic shops are selling Marvel Uuniverse figures for around $15 a piece.  Really $25 for two isn't so bad in light of that.  It must be kept in mind that these have been comic and specialty shop exclusives which does drive the price up somewhat.  Without mass retail being involved the production is limited.  Now, I tend to see some of the people complaining about the price of these go full throttle to the GI Joe Collectors Club and blow $25 for one figure without much complaining.  Sure there are excuses like limited runs and all that.  In actuality the club is charging more when you consider the extra expenses of signing up for the club and exorbitant shipping charges (I did the math once, I believe it worked out to be around $38 per figure ultimately, but my memory could be off).  Also keep in mind the Club's figures are mostly repaints with some minor new parts (Heads and occasional accessories).  I am just trying to put this into perspective, if someone is willing to pay that much for a repaint then I just don't think they should be complaining about the price of a two pack with all new parts for less.  While price is a huge issue these are somewhat comparable to what is out there but a tad more.   I have seen these packs as low as $23 and as high as $29.  It fits for the most part I think especially when you add in the exclusive element.

ARTICULATION:  I am going to address most of the articulation with these two here rather than individually.  The level is pretty good overall.  Shoulders, Biceps, elbows, wrist/forearm, double knee and ankle (no rocker ankle though).  The lower calf swivel threw me off as I posed these.  It's not that it's bad but I am used to that joint being much higher.  I give credit though that Deathstroke's is very well hidden and at first I was doubtful he even had it.  Another point I would like to make is that in comparison to Marvel Universe the articulation is (in general) a bit better put together.  If you compare these figures to the Black Spider-Man/Iceman mold you see that there is less breaking up the form (arms and knees especially).  It looks like a lot of thought went into the designs to create such effect.  

SCALE:  I will get into more detail about this in the individual reviews (with comparison shots) but I can quickly tell you they work better than DCIH figures.  

MOLDS:  I mentioned this earlier but it bares some more detail.  Each figure appears to have individual molds rather than recycling.  Each one has details unique to that figure.  As I looked at the press pics from the upcoming figures this appears to be the case from here on.  This is kind of refreshing when you consider Marvel Universe keeps recycling the same molds over and over.  Granted they often do it effectively (although it makes one want to scream when they go backwards to an older mold that is already outdated).  Also, these figures have foot pegs that work with Marvel Universe (tightly) and GI Joe stands so there are options for display at least.  

Since I was a kid I have loved Marvel but I really liked DC.  Their characters and stories always captivated me on some level but not to the degree Marvel did.  It seems with Marvel I loved nearly every character but with DC I only loved certain ones.  The list is pretty easy to figure out, pretty much the Justice League major players and their nemesis (or is it nemesi for plural) with a few Titans sprinkled in.  So far the character choices seem spot on for this line.  So without further ado lets see how these end up fairing.    

Green Arrow is a logical choice for the first pack in this line.  He has a TV show that seems to be doing well and is a fairly popular character.  Deathstroke has also appeared (but of course I tend to be working every time he has made an appearance so I don't know how it's translating).  I always kind of liked Ollie for a long while and it's good to see him here.  But right out of the package:

Now this isn't a "break" (although some would categorize it as such).  If you remember way back when I reviewed Ghost Rider:

This is yet another case of the plastic not holding the leg joint fully.  In fact both Green Arrow and MU appear to have the same design only slightly altered for DC.  This problem has been all over Marvel Universe since it started.  I have had it happen with Hulk, Dr. Strange, Green Goblin and a host of others.  It's a simple "pop back on" fix and nothing more.  Really it's just a bit of an annoyance.

I have heard some proportion complaints for Ollie as well, especially in the bicep.  Personally, while a bit overdone, I don't think it's bad at all.  Could be just me but I have seen worse on Marvel Universe and I have to say at least it's not lanky like I have seen on several modern figures from various lines.  

One of the better aspects that I have seen virtually no mention of about Green Arrow is the fact his bow actually is strung with a piece of elastic.  The down side is Ollie can't pull it back effectively (hence I had to use Snake Eyes to illustrate the point, don't read anything into that, he was the first figure I found that could hold the string).  Would have been nice if he had an arrow but at the same time there are options.  Ollie holds the arrow much better than MU Hawkeye (see below) and can actually look like he's stringing the bow (if he could draw it back).  He does have a plenty of detail including an arm guard that just looks great.  A note on his articulation, the guard arm has the swivel at the wrist where as the other arm has it at the forearm.  Just something interesting I thought I would mention.  

Green Arrow's look appears to be a combination of his New 52 look and his Post Crisis look.  The look works quite well I think.  The shoulders are a bit broad but overall I think the figure looks pretty cool.  

Now for the comparison to DCIH.

The Mattel version of Ollie was the first time the line avoided the oversized fists that were so prevalent in the early part of the line.  However, even with that improvement he still fell very short of being a great figure.  The DC Collectables version is ten times better with a bit more details like straps and buckles (that could have simply have been painted on but thankfully weren't) and an overall better presentation.  The yellow is unexpected but does bring out much of the details of the figure.  It also breaks up the overall green to make for a better look.  It could have been overdone and look very strange but it is just enough color to draw the eye.  

Now for the scale issue.  

With Marvel Universe there is a question of scale to what.  Let's just be honest, Hasbro has been all over the place with scale in the Marvel Unvierse line.  Most of the comparison shots of Ollie I have seen are with the Iceman/Black Spider-Man mold which I long ago dubbed "too tall Jones" as a joke.  With something like the movie lines or even certain figures he works just fine.  However, put him with someone like Hawkeye:

Well then there is an issue.  Then again if you take Avengers Line Hawkeye the effect isn't there anymore.  See the issues in comparing to Marvel Universe.  There is so much inconstancy with Marvel and the sub-lines it's hard to get a good idea of what works.  Ollie looks really fine with Magneto (above) for instance.  

With Modern GI Joe there is a bit more consistancy.

While a pinch shorter he is quite workable.  It is tough to think of Green Arrow being a bit shorter but at the same time it's not so bad that it becomes an issue.  

As far as other lines:

He actually works pretty well.  Just a note, keep in mind that Tolkien's elves are just a hair taller than humans in both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.  As you can see, he seems to fit just right with Star Wars and Mortal Kombat.  Overall it works well.  

But that is only one half of the pack, so is this pack worth getting. let's look at Deathstroke:

Way back when, Deathstroke for DCIH because I was trying to tell people the figure really wasn't as bad as some of the previous releases Mattel had given us.  In fact it was one of the best of that line.  It was really the first action figure review I did on this site so in a way this is coming full circle.  

The mold is clearly based on Deathstroke's New 52 look (although that look seems to be evolving into something else).  The major flaw of this mold is the shoulder pads which make the neck and head look very squat on the overly broad shoulders.  

Just like with the DCIH version I have found a sword that works with Deathstroke but it would have been nice if he had one of his own.  He does have a gun but it seems a bit oversized (like a smaller Chap Mei gun or something) and I am not a huge fan of it.  However, it does have a nifty feature of being able to strap to his back.  But even then the gun sticks out way too far to be taken seriously.  

That's not to say he doesn't have his good points, despite not being my favorite look the figure does work and is instantly recognizable as Deathstroke.  The details and the extras are very good from the scale mail armor to the guns on the thighs (but not removable).  As I mentioned earlier the swivel calf is so well hidden that I wasn't sure it was even there.  

Now the comparison.    

And in an odd twist it's a pretty hard call.  DCIH is much better proportioned and the look is that classic Deathstroke.  The figure is still the best DCIH ever had to offer in the line.   Really the DCIH is better which is surprising.

Deathstroke is a bit shorter than Ollie and it becomes noticeable with other lines as well.

I think elongating that neck would solve both the shoulder pads issue and would have done wonders for these scale shots as well.

With MU it's the same as with Ollie, kind of ok with the movie lines but with the taller figures it looks odd.  Then again so do most of the movie line figures.

And then there is Deadpool.  I can't help but think Deathstroke still should be taller.  Maybe that one is me.

So the verdict.  This first two pack is pretty good, but not great, it works on some levels at least.  Green Arrow is the winner of course an while Deathstroke isn't bad he's also nothing to write home about.  I say get them if you have any interest in DC or these characters.  Even with the disapointed Deathstroke it's an interesting set.

That's all for now, until next time keep the Bat signal on.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:47:26 PM by zedhatch »

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Green Arrow and Deathstroke 2 pack reveiwed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:14:41 AM »
Thorough as always. Back on the front page.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
Re: Green Arrow and Deathstroke 2 pack reveiwed
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »
Cool, thanks

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.