Author Topic: Episode 50: Interview with Sith Fire 30  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Episode 50: Interview with Sith Fire 30
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:52:52 AM »
Here is some of what we got into last night (full podcast is now on the front page with the download coming soon to the CAFN Page):

I tried to take some furious notes during the molding and casting segments.

Its our 50th Episode!
Intro by Chad

Announcements:

1. Its time to get your Episode 7 Custom on. We are currently co-hosting a custom contest with Yakface.com and all you need do is create at least one new custom figure of what you think we might see for Episode 7. Then, just post it in the forums (both on ISY and Yakface) and you get a double entry into the random prize drawing. We will have a grand prize winner chosen from a panel of judges from both Yakface and ISY and two random prize winners. Prizes include the Sideshow Airborne Trooper, Sideshow Boba Fett, and the GG Veers Mini-Bust. Hats off to Justin aka Chewie from Yakface for doing most of the leg work on this too. We are already seeing some great wip shots too (Wookie Balls and Jedi Merc).

2. Darth Daddy is doing a custom contest with Rebel Force Radio based on the radio show Smugglers Gambit. Full details can be found in our forum custom contest thread and of course at customsforthekid.blogspot.com

3. Keep checking those pm boxes as I am finally just about ready to mail out my kit-bash rally prizes. I just loved the variety we saw for this particular customizing challenge. We had over 60 entries for this!

4. Congratulations and continued best wishes for friend of isy and cafn R1bb1t aka Zipidi Doodah aka Barry for getting some awesome exposure from ILM for his great Battle of Hoth Diorama. Check out our front page if you haven’t yet seen this diorama as today he gave us the Imperial Meow Addition.

5. We need to announce what is going on with the Posterous feed and how it will no longer be available after whatever date and also that all the podcast will be gone from Itunes but that they will still be on the CAFN page at ISY.

Dayton Allen Time (welcome and intro by Chad, with a sure to be interrupting Shawn too)

Podcast Questions:

1. We see you are on a huge Alien kick. Care to talk about some of the various work you have shown us since we last talked with you about Celebration 6? Methinks someone just might have noticed your great customizing work there and perhaps there could be some NECA news down the road? How long did that Spitter Xenomorph take? Wow, that looks like hours of sculpting there. Are you gonna build the Loader?

2. You are also working with some new molding material. Care to talk about that (am I right in hearing Smooth On for a new product)? I noticed that some things were turning out blue that you wanted green and it looks like your latest experiments have turned out some great successes. I would love to hear what new molding and casting products you are into. Also thinking that perhaps arranging your molding prospect vertically instead of horizontally is the way to go? Also you have recently been making clear bubbles for some of your helmet sculpts. I forget the name for this process (vacuum forming?) but could you explain how it works? Lastly, the last time we had you on you spoke briefly about the idea of having kits other people could by of your sculpts. Have you come any closer to making this a reality? 

Smooth On:

Moldstar15 very long shelf life, good for kits, green has a much higher tear strength

Slow version of the mold material, doesn’t cure for three hours. nice slow pour, take an ornament hangar or wire and run it across the edge to free the air bubbles. cures the next morning.

Polytech not curing correctly, coming out sticky.

Now working with Smooth On Smoothcast300. eight minute cure rate. Rule of four (don’t try to pour more than four molds at a time).

Crystal Clear Series (water cast resin) recommended for vaccum chamber, but if you are painting over it it really isn’t necessary. Slow pour this morning, get air bubbles out, came out with no air bubbles in it at all with no vaccum chamber.

smooth on reynolds

www.completesculptor.com ($37)

can purchase pigments, a little bit goes a long way, 30mls casting material for spitter head, one pin drop gave him the right look,

3. What Star Wars Customizing are you into? Projects getting close to completion? Projects on the horizon? Still working on Predators and Ghost Busters? Anything else buzzing around perhaps?

4. I saw a picture of some awesome floor grating that would work in a variety of diorama type environments whether it be SW, Alien, Aliens, etc. Any word yet on how we can get some or the contact info for this? And am I correct  in that there are also Nostroma and  Sulaco tiles?

5. One of the most interesting things I like about how you start is that you literally take existing AF Frames and whittle em down (loved that pic of all the shavings). Care to explain this process and how you pick the action figures for this process? I am assuming super arty is the main requirement, but are there any particular figures that lend themselves to this better or ones you just buy outright when you see them to do this?

6. I saw you were experimenting with a product called Hydrospan which would take a smaller object and make it larger. Did that work out? I seem to remember something warping, but
you have big plans for it?

7. We want to know what got Sith Fire 30 excited from Toy Fair 2013? I assume it wasn’t the SW items? What is your opinion of the new 6 inch Black Line? What do you think about TCW going away? What about GIJoe? What do you like that we saw from that line? Are you excited for the Tomahawk(Eaglehawk)?

8. Lets talk The Clone Wars a bit. I know that your Savage Oppress was one of your favorite works so I just have to know what you thought of the Emperor taking him out in this current season of TCW? What do you think of this season so far and what are your thoughts on this continuing? Favorite episode or story arc so far?

9. Dayton, its been awhile since we had you on and the last time we had you we asked about upcoming projects planned or that were at least twinkling in your eye. Can you tell us what 2013 will hold for you? Also, I mentioned wanting to see some Joe work from you, are we any closer to seeing this? If so I have a new request for you: GHOST NINJAS right after you get done with Tamer’s At-At Drivers!

10. 2012 saw our first customizing panel at C6 which you were a member of. What do you think the future will hold for events like this? Have you heard any rumblings of future events? Who would you like to see on the next panel? Any contacts for you guys for Celebration Europe? Maybe you guys could go over there and crash the party? That line for C6 was off the charts!

11. I am interested in which lines you collect and from which manufacturers? Who do you think is the best SW licensee as far as quality? Do you have a collection room or display items out in your home? I can only imagine what your collection could look like and do you have any pics displayed anywhere? I for one would love to see a video or pics just of your workbench (remember seeing a partial pic). We want a CAFN Exclusive!

Do we have time for what's on your pegs? I am very interested in what you think about Hasbro’s current trend towards making all of the lines except for Black limited in articulation with those 5 poa’s?

Outro: Stay tuned folks as we wean ourselves off of posterous and start up a new rss and xml feed for itunes. We are striving to get this housed totally ourselves and totally independent of external sites to make this more available for all. We are so close.