Author Topic: GI-Joe Retaliation Ninja Commando 4x4 Review  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
GI-Joe Retaliation Ninja Commando 4x4 Review
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
Picked this up with the Tread Ripper a few days back for going on $17

Veteran Joe collectors will probably recognize this as a re-pop at least in part, I believe. I think i had the original release although i had never opened it to appreciate it's glory in a better time and had sold it for a tidy profit as I recall. "i had gotten it on clearance"

Upon opening this package, I am presented with several pieces of a couple of molded colors and a baggie containing possibly the saddest snake eyes ever. I mean, this figure might be shamed by some of the cheaper lines seen in the dollar store without the usually respectable gi-joe "or Hasbro, if you will" name.
5 points of articulation, no paint apps and certainly no collector appeal, possibly even to the completionist crowd out there. Remember how bad clutch was from the tread ripper review? I would easily trade 4 of these snakes for one of those clutch figures.

On to the vehicle. Not bad as far as molded in detail. Assembly is pretty straight forward and simple and features a working independent suspension, a limited but present travel of steering on the front end, a removable engine cover with a different colored molding of the engine detail which helps although I dont think the cover will come off with the roll cage in place. the roll cage has some snap in mounting points for something, probably utilized with the previous release. could be for weapons, i'm not sure, some foot pegs on the side runners and at the back, I believe, a moving weapon or something on the passenger side of the dash, driver side mirror, a seperate cow catcher front bumper wiith winch and headlight detail, a small set of decals, a large ninja emblem on the hood that I could do without, and this large wonky grappling hook launcher that kind of overpowers the vehicle when mounted on the roof. The launcher itself works in good order and certainly seems to launch the hook/missile further than it's attached 18 inch string will allow. Heck, they could have went for 4 ft if the wrapping of the string around the barrel of the launcher for deployment wouldnt become so bulky.
  Other than the launcher, I do like the vehicle. Had it a decent driver figure with file card and accessories, this one might be worth the $17. I will keep the vehicle and repaint it and figure out what to do where the launcher goes. I should have kept the original release. Was this a rush job to get these produced like the first wave of figures? Is that why the drivers turned out so badly or, was it a planned way to produce things more cheaply like we have seen in the recent star wars deluxe vehicle packs? I had that fang boat, and after opening it, sold it as quickly as I could. its driver had an interesting sculpt but the same amount of articulation. Its a shame that these appear to have been rushed.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:59:46 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: GI-Joe Retaliation Ninja Commando 4x4 Review
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
Another great review. I am gonna hate seeing you go back to a regular work life as I will miss the reviews.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
I might be in the minority, but I actually like that SE figure. I have 4 or 5 of them LOL

There is something cool about the costume despite the lack of articulation.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »
There is something cool about the costume despite the lack of articulation.

You know Dan I think for some of us, maybe this is your reason too, but for some figures when I am reminded of the toys I played with as a kid perhaps this is why we like em even though there are so many better sculpts or poa types, etc.

I think that is how GG is hooking me on those Jumbos too, but this is not the place to talk about em.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »
Dan, if he didnt have a watcher already, I would mail him to you tomorrow. Thanks, Shawn. I should really be getting back to the 3-packs unless Joe colton shows up tomorrow.

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
That gun looks like the dinosaur ribs that were stacked on the side of Fred Flintstone's car!

Easy pass.

Jason

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
Vehicle is ok but I have three.  Figure is horrid, easy pass. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.