Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42364 times)

Offline The Mandalorian

• Mando Lover
  • Lieutenant
  • The Best Mandalorian Ever
Re: Hunting
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2011, 06:03:20 AM »
Not much of a story, but I was going to shoot a doe opening day, but it ran off before I could shoot it.  I was cosidering going hunting today with my dad, but my grandfather was in the hospital and since he's pretty cheap, he parked his truck at our place and now my dad will have to pick him up.
Call me master, cause I'm faster on fire.  I no longer have to hotwire, I'm a hunter for hire wit no plans to retire and all the sucka MCs can call me sire!  Screw the Jedi and the Sith.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
I actually took yesterday off and took advantage of the snow in Western MD and wow was it a cold day at 15 degrees. I did see a few bucks though, nothing I wanted to harvest at this point. Think I am done hunting for the the weekend.

I had a doe and two fawns almost close enough to touch this morning. They were playing in the snow like kids. I wished them a good morning and continued my still hunt. Walking in the snow is a fun way to hunt and very quiet.

Offline The Mandalorian

• Mando Lover
  • Lieutenant
  • The Best Mandalorian Ever
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
Well, it looks like the season's over.  There's always next year.  Merry Christmas! 
Call me master, cause I'm faster on fire.  I no longer have to hotwire, I'm a hunter for hire wit no plans to retire and all the sucka MCs can call me sire!  Screw the Jedi and the Sith.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
Well, it looks like the season's over.  There's always next year.  Merry Christmas! 

Wow, between MD and WV have seasons that are in till the end of January. I usually end my hunting over the Christmas break, but might do some snow bow hunting in MD this new year.

WV Muzzleloader season starts tomorrow so I might go sit for about an hour tomorrow evening. I would love to get some snow down here like MD has now, but looks like its bright and sunny this week. Cold, but no snow.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »
Wow, has it been over two years since I posted in here? Well I finally have something to share. This big ole dude has been giving me the slip for almost a month now and today I finally got him to mess up all because of his girlfriend. She brought him right by me. Looks like turkey nuggets tonight!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
Well I get to add something else to the hunting thread. My family had a heck of a weekend with the passing of my wife's grandmother and between all the viewings and funeral services we all needed a day off today. I couldn't sleep so I went and sat in the blind.

And it was great fun getting the family involved. My little gal just loves venison.

I don't know how my hair got so grey, but I sure do enjoy archery. I usually just watch em more than shooting them, but every once in awhile it is nice to put very healthy meat in the freezer.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
NICE!

Been a while since I went out. Here in Louisiana we've had some warm winters for the past 5 years so there's never much moving around. I had no idea you were a hunter Shawn. Time to make some sausage!!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:58 AM »
NICE!

Been a while since I went out. Here in Louisiana we've had some warm winters for the past 5 years so there's never much moving around. I had no idea you were a hunter Shawn. Time to make some sausage!!!

I would love to hear some Louisiana hunting stories. I think we all have visions of Swamp People in our heads, but I know its not like that down there. I would love to hear about your hunting adventures.

And I have been a hunter since I was about twelve. Mostly self taught except for one friend who is an absolute nut with it, but I do enjoy the peace and quiet the woods gives me. I usually just go and watch, but my daughter was wanting some jerky so besides grilling up the tenderloin (in some McCormick Marinades) that where this one is destined to go.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »
Actually Shawn it is a lot like Swamp People down here. I live in southern Louisiana about 30 miles north of New Orleans. I've grown up with hunters and fishermen all my life. My family is mostly of Cajun descent so the older folks all speak French and have the same accents that you hear from Troy and his crew (Swamp People). As kids, we were taught to hunt rabbit, boar, duck, squirrel, turkey, deer and frogs. Some of my friends also hunted gator when they were older. We fish for an abundance of sea food (fresh and salt water) catfish, bass, specks and whites (trout), red fish and flounder, crabs, oysters, turtles and crawfish. We'll eat anything that moves, and it's good too. I absolutely love this state! I've been all over the southern half of the US from California to Virginia but my heart is here and here I'll stay. It's the most unique place in the US, but for hunting and fishing it's unbelievable! They don't call us the 'Sportsman's Paradise' for nothing!

P.S.: Jerky and tenderloin are great, but if you take some of that venison and mix it with some pork and seasoning the sausage will blow the top of your head off! If you can't grind your own a local butcher will do it for you....   I'm starving.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2013, 12:44:58 PM »
I would love to hear more stories about this. Sounds like a place I would like to visit.

I love the sound of that sausage. I have a mean jerky marinade too by the way.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
Nice deer shots, buddy. Looks good.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
WOW Tamer that is a big bird! Great looking deer to!

Great stories about Louisiana and living off the land. I am getting hungary with all this food talk!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2013, 03:05:51 AM »
Nice deer shots, buddy. Looks good.

Thanks bud. Wish you were here to taste some of it!

WOW Tamer that is a big bird! Great looking deer to!

Great stories about Louisiana and living off the land. I am getting hungary with all this food talk!

Thanks Spry. I agree I am liking seeing DS add a bit to this. I like hearing about how folks do things in other places, let alone add some great wild game recipes or how to fix it to the mix.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
You bagged a couple nice ones there Shawn,. Thanksgiving dinner is covered ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2013, 04:33:58 AM »
You bagged a couple nice ones there Shawn,. Thanksgiving dinner is covered ;)

Hey Sarge, good to hear from you! And thanks, more pics incoming as I got another eight point last night. Its the first time in years I have tagged out and the rut is just starting.