Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42361 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hunting
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
True i respect you guys because you actually 'Hunt'

But try to shoot something else then Deer because i want my christmas packages delivererd  ;D

Cheers

LOL. I had thirty deer in my yard and driveway today plus about the same number of turkeys. Your Xmas packages are secure. I think Reindeer from Scandanavia and Northern Europe and Asia are what the red guy gets though. Our deer spiecies is called whitetail and if we let it go unchecked they would starve during our fierce winters.  You don't even want to know how many are estimated to live in the US alone.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2010, 05:41:27 AM »
Ok folks I am deleting all non hunting traffic here. I am glad you guys are communicating. Feel free to use the pm function attached to your profile!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »
Well today was day one of the MD Archery Season and I sat on stand for a few hours this evening.  A few small ones both bucks and does and I let em all pass. It was still kinda hot to process deer meat and I am holding our for a nicer one. I hope other folks will add to this thread this year. I sure didn't add to it much last year.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
Well I am happy to report that my long drought is over. The changeover in temperature has sure done my hunting some good.

I am marinating deer jerky as I am writing this. All I want to say is that if you like to archery hunt, RAGE broadheads are sure an evolutionary milestone when it comes to mechanical broadheads. Wow am I impressed with them.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »
Well I can see I am not really doing this thread justice. I didn't even report that I had harvested a buck on the last report (that was what was marinating).  It has been a pretty tough season and I am having some treestand issues namely it seems as I get older it seems using my climber is getting harder and harder. LOL. Oh well, next year I am trying out some ladder stands. My issue is sweating (deer won't stand stinky) and when I get off from work I just need to get some elevation quickly and safely so I think ladder stands may allow me to do this. I think I am gonna get about five of em after I find one I like.

This evening, speaking of stands, I went to shoot my deer rifles (leery of my 700s after the report), but everything worked out ok. My 7 Mag just knocks out bullseyes. That gun makes me look like I can shoot. I did ok with my ultramag and the first gun I had my 6mm.  Anyhow, my father in law wanted me to hunt a permanent stand that just about had the Tamer pusing up daises. Thankfully, I got out of there before it fell out of the tree and I just positioned myself behind some brush with 10 yards of a field edge.  I didn't think I would see much but a 5 point (actually a pretty nice one) walked out and came to ten steps. It was so awesome I decided he perhaps ought to grow up one or two more years and then he would be trophy material. For me its not always about shooting, but about the whole experience and just practicing my families tradition and general hunting heritage we have here in the US.  Speaking of experience, I saw a Great Horned Owl fly down in the field and get a field mouse and then look right at me and scream. Talk about shivers. Those birds are big if you haven't seen on in person.

Anyhow, it was a good evening in the woods. The temperature is not starting to get in the high 40s so the rut is on. I had two bucks behind my blind just grunting their heads off today and for the life of me I couldn't get one of em to walk out. Thats hunting! As I was leaving to go to camp to shoot my guns a flock of about twenty something turkeys showed up. I love where I live this time of year.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »
Ok, I had to report on perhaps my wierdest day in the woods. I went up to my father in laws camp with him and his buddy and I went our early and it was one of those awesome hunting days, just a touch chill, but sunny and calm weather. I sat all morning till noon and then went back out into the woods at 1pm and sat till dark. I didn't see my first deer till 5:15pm which turned out to be a buck I probably should have harvested with a group of does at last light.

I barely heard any shots, which is really rare where I hunt. I guess I can chalk it up to a full moon and perhaps nocturnal movement, but I have never had a first day of rifle season like this and it wierded me out a bit. I think I am staying home to hunt the home front tomorrow as rain is forecast so hopefully I will get to fill one of my two WV tags!

MD starts on Saturday so I need to get my license worth on that one too, if my MD buddy stops pouting that I didn't come up and hunt with him today. No doubt he harvested a wall hanger, he always does.

I will try to keep this populated a bit better in the upcoming weeks. Oh, I just heard that Chad got himself a muzzleloader so MN may see some smokepole action too.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »
Well I have been hunting hard this week as it is the annual week off for rifle season for whitetails. I turned a pretty bad season into a downright miserable one by missing one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen within 300 hundred yards of my house this morning. Talk about your windy, rainy, cold awful days. Still, that big ole joker walked off one hill onto another ridge and let me get a good look at him before I missed. What a monster!

I have made tougher shots than that one, but after looking for the entire morning I am reasonably assured he will be walking around someone's woods. I probably scared him into the next country, but I am gonna focus my efforts for the remainder of the rifle seasons I have left in WV here at home in the general area I saw him at this morning. I am even forgoeing the first day of MD tomorrow in the hopes of seeing him again. It is a long shot, but between my brother and I maybe one of us can get the crosshairs back on him. For those who hunt can probably guess my mood.

For those who don't it is one of those time honoured traditions in the US if you live in a rural area. I know there may be some who don't understand or think hunting is downright mean, and there will not be a debate about that here, but if you have ever experienced the highs and lows of hunting season you can probably associate with my above story. I sure wish I had a couple of you here I know hunt around cause we would coral all possible exits and someone would bring that trophy home.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
Well its time to knock the dust off of this thread and get ready for a new hunting season. MD Bow Season has started and I have gone once with just baldies and small bucks showing up. One small buck was really huge as far as body size, but he needs to grow up a bit.

I am trying out a new ladder stand this year and have been very impressed with the ease of its use and its stability so far. It did take me and my brother to put it up, but using two ratchet staps to secure it to the tree really makes it rock solid. There is no way it could detach from the tree and it is the safest feeling stand I have been in for years. I am anxious to arrow a nice one out of it.

WV is actually having a muzzleloader season for anterless deer now, but I am still thinking it is a bit early for the yearlings to be away from mom so I am not going out till bow season comes in the first of October.

Looking back on this thread from last year it sure wasn't that great of a season. Ofcourse having a young one cuts into my hunting time and I so hope I can convince her to pick up the tradition like I did from my relatives. There seems to just be a great deer crop this year and I can already smell the venison jerky in the dehydrator. I aim to go bow hunting again in MD on Saturday so maybe I will even get to put a pic or two up here.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
Good luck to you, Shawn, if you do go.  Venison jerkey?  Wonder why I've never heard of that before... 
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2011, 06:07:43 AM »
Well I have been off forum and site all week long taking a much needed break from everyday life. This time of year the local community pretty much shuts down and everyone heads to the woods to take part in the local tradition we call rifle season. Ofcourse this comes from our Frontier Tradition of communities banding together to hunt said animals so they would have enough food for the winter and I am quite proud this tradition still continues. It is estimated that if communities and hunters didn't do this that the populations would grow so large they would starve themselves out in as little as four years. Ofcourse I didn't add to this thread to discuss the politics of hunting, but to share a hunting story from this year.

I has been a rough season for me as I arrowed a really nice buck only to have some tresspasser actually get to my buck before I did. Me and my neighbor are pretty irritated as it was actually my neighbor's land when we found where he had expired. I was pretty bummed. I have seen quite a few awesome bucks this year, but for whatever reason just couldn't get em to committ. Anyone who has hunted knows the feeling.

Well rifle week started out with torrential rains and fog and eventually we got ice and snow so the weather conditions were absolutely awful for hunting. My hunting buddy and I had permission to hunt new ground and we used the rain to try and scout it out a bit. We basically were just spot hunting and didn’t know the lay of the land real good. The great thing about my buddy is he is a walker and can’t really sit still longer than a hour so he went one way on a bench with the idea of making a big circle back to me later as I can sit forever. Well I sat for well over two hours in the rain and the fog and hadn’t seen a deer till the one you see pictured below comes running up over the hill. After a quick hundred yard shot I am now in possession of some of the best meat you will ever find. Yesterday me and some friends grilled it (go get some McCormicks Peppercorn and Garlic Marinade) and it was awesome. I am marinading the rest in my secret jerky recipe and it should start evaporating tonight. If there are any other hunters out there I would love to hear your stories too.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:55:07 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
Secret Jerky recipe?  You set my mouth a watering with that comment, my friend. Nice looking buck, by the way.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
Secret Jerky recipe?  You set my mouth a watering with that comment, my friend. Nice looking buck, by the way.

Thanks Clint. If I can ever get you down here I will show you that jerky recipe. I wonder if I could send you a few sticks in the mail? I might try it and you can let me know what you think.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
Well it was the last weekend of WV Rifle Season and about a week before ML Season so I decided to go shoot my smoke pole up at my father in law's property and just hunt there that morning. It was about 19 degrees so I got cold and decided to shoot early. As I pulled into the driveway of camp, I noticed a deer in the far end of the field. I had to get my rifle out, get it loaded, and sneak real quick like and as it ran out of the field (about 300 plus yards) I saw antler and aimed and led it a bit and it dropped. It was easily one of my best shots ever. Looks like more grilled venison for the Tamer household this week. My brother is coming down to claim the rest (not sure if I am giving him all of it, but the season is far from over). Here are a few pics. It was not the biggest buck I have harvested, but easily one of my best memories. My smokepole was a little off, but three shots and I center punched so I am good to go for ML Season too.

I already have the garlic and peppercorn marinade ready to go. My little gal is anxious to try it out. She wanted me to grill out tonight, but we had a Christmas Concert to go to.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:12:30 AM by Tamer »

Offline The Mandalorian

• Mando Lover
  • Lieutenant
  • The Best Mandalorian Ever
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2011, 04:37:20 AM »
Nice eight points!  I haven't seen a buck all season!  Though I'm sure by the time the snow comes in, I'll get something!
Call me master, cause I'm faster on fire.  I no longer have to hotwire, I'm a hunter for hire wit no plans to retire and all the sucka MCs can call me sire!  Screw the Jedi and the Sith.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2011, 05:15:59 AM »
Nice eight points!  I haven't seen a buck all season!  Though I'm sure by the time the snow comes in, I'll get something!

I am glad to hear that you hunt! You will have to share a few of your hunting stories here. I too wish we would get some snow. We had one the weekend before Thanksgiving and that is when I arrowed a pretty nice one, only to have someone else take it when I tracked it the following day (would love to talk to that dude). Anyhow, I would love to hear what state you hunt in and some of the particulars of what and how you hunt.