Author Topic: Laojax and son customs: Winter vacation update 2013-14  (Read 20594 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: Laojax customs: Female AT-AT Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
That's one of the most emotionally provocative figures I've ever seen.  There's an incredible sadness to her.  Brilliant!
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
Fantastic work on the sculpting. Nice base figure choice and transformation. I really like this. I wish we had a like/love button here, because I'd be hitting it on this one.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 01:06:35 AM »
Seems like the average Twi'lek girl lives a pretty hard existence, so although I was originally thinking that she looked really bored, I like that people are sensing something darker from her!   

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 01:24:48 AM »
Hey everyone, it's been quite a while! This school year has been kicking my butt!
Well I figured I'd post a little update on a figure my 5 year old and I have been working on. Since last year he's been obsessed with lovely Twi'lek ladies, and after seeing ROTS he's captivated with Order 66 and Aayla Secura. He's come up with an alternate storyline where Aayla realizes the threat posed by her clones and, instead of being shot in the back, uses force lightning to kill her assailants. At that moment she succumbs to the dark side, and eventually replaces Vader as Palpatine's enforcer. I thought that was a pretty cool idea and some sophisticated storytelling at his age, so we sithified our CW figure (which we picked up last month at an import toy shop in Tokyo for a rather obscene price). If I ever get around to doing some casting I'll make a black version of the breathing apparatus, and if I'm really feelin' it I might get another fig and do a repaint.  For now, though, I think of this as a 3D preliminary sketch.

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
AWESOME idea! That is a really awesome backstory! Your son is good at storytelling..... really good! ;D ;D :D :)
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Merzach1

• Anakin, your breaking my heart.
  • Cadet
  • Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope!
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
That is a cool custom and awesome backstory!

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
"Arise, Darth...Hottie".

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 03:10:28 AM »
Hey, welcome back! Time to go get this update on the front page.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax customs
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
Good to be back!  I'm trying to get back into customizing after a summer that kept me really busy, sweaty and unmotivated to do anything too taxing in my spare time. My son has been asking me to make him some custom Jedi lately, and although I'm more of an OT guy, I'm happy to see him interested. Last night on the way home from work I stopped off at the hobby department of Yodobashi camera and picked up some silicone mold rubber and casting resin, so hopefully I'll be able to cast some additional parts for this figure and get the creative juices flowing for some other projects! You can bet I'll be poring over clonehead's tutorials!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »
These next pix I submit with the caveat that I feel a little out of my element customizing clone troopers, especially with so many excellent customizes exploring that area already. It's all at my son's request; "Daddy, take some pictures of these and put them on the internet! Orders are orders!" So here we are with some really simple, nondestructive customs (more like acessorizing, my wife was laughing at us for playing dress-up with our dollies!). It seems that even when Woof becomes Jedi knight Kiracki he can't seem to lose his sheepskin skirt. (Cloak courtesy of ROTS capt. Antilles.) The clone trooper was envisioned as perhaps a deserter from the Coruscant Guard, I'm thinking he was one of the clones who developed a conscience and chose not to follow order 66.  Got this idea for a ragtag band of runaway post-Order 66 clone troopers who later form an anti-Imperial militant group which is eventually absorbed into the Rebel Alliance. OK, so why is he in phase I armor? Umm...cuz we don't have any phase II troopers!

After Liam went to bed last night I got the idea to load him up with more equipment and take a few more pics.

Some very simple figs, humbly submitted!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
Looks good to me.

I would love to hear a store report for Japan too! Have you been to the Kotobukiya store?

Japan, I am guessing might even see figures earlier too?

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Love these!They are so AWESOME! Love the cape on that trooper! Suits him well! :D
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »
Looks good to me.

I would love to hear a store report for Japan too! Have you been to the Kotobukiya store?

Japan, I am guessing might even see figures earlier too?

Well, I don't really collect the kotobukiya figures (although I've admired them in the store), so I can't really speak on the matter.  As far as stores go here, you can find a lot of random star wars items at this chain "subculture" store called Village Vanguard, but it's pretty hit or miss, not much in the way of figures. TRU, while it does exist in Japan, is a pretty sad state of affairs if you're looking for US toys. When I first came over here about ten years ago, they were always stocked, but since the end of the PT's theater run, SW figs have been unavailable at TRU or any other major retailer as far as I know. The occasional scores I do make are mostly at secondhand shops, where I often find unopened POTF or later figs and snatch them up. One time I bought 20 or 30 figures in one shot, none of them costing more than a few dollars. That was a good day!

If I want newer figures I have to scour Amazon.jp for bargains, or order from an import toy shop where the average price for recent figures is about 1900 yen, nearly 25 bucks a pop! When your kid has really specific requests, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. That's why I'm so hesitant to start chopping up these figures or buy lots of doubles for fodder.

Parts list for the trooper: coruscant guard from the battle pack that xame with Yoda, cape is from POTF Boussh, Boba Fett backpack (duh) and binoculars from Hoth Han, pauldron from sandtrooper. Cape and jetpack are stuck on with poster tack, one of the greatest substances known to humankind. Thanks Mando Assassin, I thought the cape looked pretty cool and I'm glad you agree! The beige goes well with the kind of rusty brown CG ensignia.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 06:36:07 AM »

So this is something I've been Keeping on the back burner since last summer, but I thought if I shared some WIPs it might motivate me to actually finish it. This is a Kotobukiya Mega Man (or Rockman as he's known over here) kit, super poseable. I have another one that I built straightforward; the only customizing I added to that one was some neodymium magnets in the hands and feet, which I also did with this one. This one started out with me just wanting to make a mega man in one of the alternate costumes. Y'all children of the '80s will understand when I talk about the Metal Blade weapon from Mega Man II, uniform is tan and army green.  From the color scheme I got the notion to make a megaman which resembled an old piece of military hardware, maybe WWI, so I was thinking to give him a pickelhaube (pointy German helmet) or a WWI stahlhelm, make a gas mask, etc, do some weathering, make him look like a walking tank. Recently I started to rethink this idea and now I'm leaning more toward making him a WWII Imperial Japanese robot. The groove that runs down the length of his buster cannon is going to accommodate a magazine of bullets, or a chain feed of I can find one of a suitable scale.
 The most time-consuming part of this bad boy so far has been the rivets, which were individually-snipped pinheads,  drilled and glued down. I'd like to have more but I think they look pretty cool now without covering everything else completely. Gotta seriously think about the helmet...

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 06:47:17 AM »
Nice job !!! Isnt it funny how much power kids really have  at convincing the parents ...lol I  totally  remember mega man nicely done ell