Author Topic: Laojax and son customs: Winter vacation update 2013-14  (Read 20565 times)

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax and son customs: Rusty droids and Rodian Sith
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »
The astute observer will also notice that this female officer's right forearm is a left forearm put on backwards, typical of the kinds of factory rejects that make it into a lot of these Chinese vendors' stock. Can't really complain too much at the prices they're charging, though!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
Nice, I am so far behind on my custom posting this week, but this seemed great. I like the facial work on the Imperial Officer.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
Very nice! I love the droids!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
OK, here's another female officer I dashed off quickly this evening. This one is a Chiss, the same race as Grand Admiral Thrawn, so maybe she would have been a part of his Empire of the Hand in the Unknown Regions. It's been about 20 years since I read the Thrawn series, but a little Wookiepedia search got me thinking about the possibilitilty of other Chiss serving in the Imperial military...

When I checked my Thrawn figure for reference, I noticed he had no eyebrows, so I left hers unpainted, too, mostly out of laziness. (I mentioned down the thread about my struggles painting eyebrows.) I just checked some reference pics, though, and they all had eyebrows so I might have to bite the bullet.
I dig how the eyes turned out (got a new tiny brush last night along with some tamiya paints, which seem to work pretty well compared to the much thicker artist's acrylics I have been using).

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
Lovely, sharp, bright paint work...great work my friend :D

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »
Now with eyebrows! Somewhat of a randy arch to one side...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
I think this one turned out gorgeous. Man what a great gal cosplay this would make too. Off to share on our pages.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
Thanks, Tamer, Wookie-Balls, and Luke Sprywalker for the kind words! It's been nice having some time off from work this summer to hang out with the little guy and devote some after-hours to my favorite hobby. The only real downside to the imperial officer lots on sinodolls is that they don't come with any accessories, so right now I'm waiting for the first half of a silicone mold of some officer headgear (and a Deena Shan head so I can make some more variations)  to cure so I can give these ladies some lids. And yeah I would love to see Scruffy Rebel or someone get some red contact lenses and do a cosplay version of this...that would rock!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax and son customs
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
Happy New Year, Yardbirds! I've had a little time off from work lately, hangin' with my son, and I got an idea for a new figure.
There are tons of roughly 1/18 scale bishojo-type figurines being sold on the cheap at a used collectibles store in the neighborhood, so I picked up a bunch to use as fodder. My previous twi'lek girl was a conversion from one of these.
Decided to give the process another try since it's been a while since I sculpted anything.
First the donor fig, a blue-skinned rocker chick:

I like the detail on these figures but the faces are always so stereotypically anime, so a simple repaint won't convincingly bring them to a galaxy far, far away.
Used a resin cast of a Deena Shan head:

Drilled holes and installed paperclip armatures for her lekku. This time I wanted to challenge myself and sculpt one head-tail draped over the front rather than two straight back.

Put foil over the figure and sculpted the new tails and headdress with fine-grade milliput, which I may not have mixed well enough because it still seems a little soft. (really need to invest in some aves!) I think I might make a mold of this head after I clean it up a bit, because this is a head I could probably use on several figures.

Waiting for the epoxy to cure before I clean up the rough spots, but you get the idea!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »
Wow Amazing!  Can't wait to see the end result!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 03:32:43 AM »
Wow, I agree. Great start. Looks very convincing to me. Off to share.

Offline BugSkirt

• Lieutenant
    • BugSkirt's Workshop
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
Ah, that Twi'lek figure is going to be so cool.  Great idea. The fodder figure is nicely detailed.  I look forward to see it completed.  Thanks fir sharing the in-progress pics.
We had 5 POA in '78...

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax and son customs: Winter vacation update 2013-14
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
Looks like the putty didn't cure properly in some spots, so I guess I will have to resin cast this head after all. Did some detail work drilling holes in the headdress and inserting pinheads for a punky studded look. Can't wait to finish this piece, but have to go back to work this week, so looks like this gal is on hold for a while...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Laojax and son customs: Winter vacation update 2013-14
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
This looks great! Sorry to hear the sculpt material didn't cure properly.