Author Topic: Articulated AT-DP  (Read 29843 times)

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
Re: A 6 inch scale Skiff
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »
I bring you yet another Goodwill treasure. The handle was too think for the hands of the 6 inchers so I dabbled alittle into scratchbuilding and added a tiny control panel.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2015, 04:04:16 AM »
What a great idea. I can't wait to see more of this.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2015, 05:53:29 AM »
That is cool. Scratch building is fun and I always like to see what people can Macgyver together using everyday items to come up with something cool.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:11:53 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2015, 03:43:38 AM »
Had to get that skiff on the front page. I can't wait to see what more you do with this one.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
Re: One legs done...
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
Well I got a woodburning hot knife from Micheals my Dremel and some Milliput and some legos to make some articulation. This has to be 3d printed the pastic when dremeled is very..."fibery" not like the usual abs plastic like vehicles.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/saGhJQ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s8Wjfr]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rvsyLt]

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2015, 05:22:02 AM »
Well your 3D Printing notion sure would explain why they didn't add any leg articulation to this vehicle. Makes the most sense out of anything I have seen Hasbro admit or deny.

Lovely project, looks great. Off to share. I will be waiting to see what poses you can get when finished with the other one. Do the LEGO joints seem strong enough to support this?

Offline IMPURGE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »
whoa krztfr do you have a youtube video of how you did this or more pics? i've thought about going another route using magnets, just because i thought it would make supporting the body stronger, but if this works with some legos and what not i might give your method a try. i've never used a hot knife before, is that just to cut pieces apart?

looks great so far look forward to seeing more.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
Fantastic idea!  I have a few lego ball joints laying around and I've been wanting to articulate this vehicle... I might have to consider this.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:48 AM »
I was just talking about this. Did you get the second leg done? Does it support the weight ok? I too would love to see a how to tutorial on this one.

I also have to admit seeing the legs hollow on the inside and the underbelly make me glad we asked that question to Hasbro. Maybe they will produce a snap cover for these open areas.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
would you mind taking a picture of the inside of the leg that you've made the mods to so we can see better what kind of lego joints you've used and how you arranged them inside the hollow leg?

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »
Yea i can take a pic Spud.

Tamer...all i got done are the rough cuts havent been able to pick up the dremel in
awhile.

Impurge....no I dont have a youtube channel mainly cuz i provbably wouldnt finish them. However i didnt need one so i dont think anyone else would but i could be wrong.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »
hmm.  Those are unlike any lego joints I've ever seen (of course I haven't bought a new set of legos in probably 10 years).

I do have a technic kit though with some ball joints and stuff that I think I might be able to rig up into something similar.  Good work on getting those pieces in there.  I would recommend using styrene to cover the insides of the legs to help disguise the new pieces.  Or at least paint them to match of course.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2015, 01:42:37 AM »
You cant really tell but they stick out alittle so styrene wont work i was going to put other leg together then paint it. The lego pieces are ratchet joints from a lego Knightseries that had a few knights about the size of a bionicle. I think i seen some on a Batman robot they had out...just keep your eyes open or there online lego store might sell the pieces.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2015, 02:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the reference images and your notes. Please keep that coming. It is awesome to see you putting movement into this. Time for a front page update.