Author Topic: old Restoration topic  (Read 78784 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Wookie-Balls Vintage Kenner Restoration Project
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »
Wow, Leia sure doesn't look yellowed there.

I would love to see a Tube video sometime of this process. It would just be an awesome resource to see you go from start to finish covering all the details.

I would love to interview you sometime for custom action figure news to get this process out to the masses.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
Hi again Shawn & BR!

The process is pretty simple - I use a 35% Food grade Hydrogen Peroxide with a dash of "Oxy Wash Vanish" (a UK laundry stain remover) as a catalyst. Then the figures are placed in the chemical bath in a sealed clear glass jar and left in direct sunlight for a few days (whilst I monitor their progress.)

I can't take the credit for this process - a chap on a vintage SW forum shared it with me. It is similar to the "retrobright" process used by some videogame collectors. Some folks have concerns about the long term effect on the figures and the possibility of people selling bleached figures on without telling prospective buyers.

I have noticed no ill effects over the last few months on any of the figures that I have treated. I've just ordered six vintage Stormtroopers to crew my Imperial Troop Transporter - So I'll photograph the process if anyone is interested?

All the best

Ray

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:47:56 AM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
I mean the whole recarding process from restoring the figure itself to the recarding process. I think it would make for a great talk.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 04:29:08 AM »
Tamer

That sounds awesome! These stormies have just arrived at my address. They have had an initial hot wash in boiling water with washing up liquids. This can sometimes brighten up dull , minutely yellowed figures.

Some of them had dirt encrusted in them that required gentle removal with a toothbrush.

They aren't too bad - I'd say that the worst two have mild yellowing and the others have pretty minor yellowing. The next step will be to bleach them in my 35%  food grade peroxide for a couple of days!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:21:30 PM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 05:53:42 AM »
Cool deal. Are all six of these going to be recarded?

On the front page. I am eager to see this process unfold. And if you don't mind and have the time and use outside resources I would love the web addresses and supplies you use (like for the recarding).

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
Tamer, these guys won't be recarded as they are going to be crewing my Imperial Troop Transporter! However I will cover recarding in this thread too and if you are happy for me to weblink my suppliers then I will add their details too :D

Later this month I shall be recarding a POTF Luke Stormtrooper and ESB Kenner Dengar, Bossk, 4LOM and Zuckuss.

I use two suppliers of reproduction cards / bubbles / footers. I have two main sources of reproduction blasters, genuine POTF coins and parts. I have another chap that I buy my replacement stickers from. I source my 35% peroxide from a seller on EBay.

More pics and details to follow!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:11:50 PM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Bleach! Does that effect the original paint? I think it does, but if this is a way to fix H's yellow problem now then many thanks!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
Hey there OP :D

The figures (Stormies, Hoth Stormies, Biker Scout and Leia) that I've treated haven't had their paint effected. However I couldn't vouch for those with more delicate details (AT AT Driver.)  I know for example that some GI Joe collectors have had mixed results with the Cobra decal on Storm Shadow lightening in some some cases.

I've only had to touch up the paint on my figures that was already rubbed prior to bleaching. Also all of the figures that I've treated have been predominately white plastic with minor paint apps on top.

Regards

Ray :D

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
Ok to make this a more 'encompassing' process I've decided that I will card one of these stormies.  That way you'll get to see the whole process from start to finish!

Here's "Trooper Doofer" reporting for duty. My first step is to boiling some hot water and dishing washing liquid on the stove.

Poor Doofer gets dropped in this boiling solution and is then gently scrubbed with and old toothbrush to remove dirt and grime...

Next step is fairly simple, good old Doofer  meets his home for the next few days...I use this 35% food grade peroxide that I buy from EBay UK. You can probably pick it up from stores too. Be sure to get the clear liquid though and not any of the white cream based peroxides. A clean Jam Jar will suffice for the bleaching process.

Now fill the jar with the peroxide - add a dash of laundry stain remover and then whack in your trooper! BE CAREFULL this stuff isn't pleasant on bare skin and can melt whatever is leaks out on (hence the old bowl here.) Now it isn't that sunny in the UK at the moment - also I've had to add water to my peroxide as I was running low, so poor old Trooper Doofer is going to be in this jar for a few days!! Remember to place your jar in DIRECT sunlight folks  ;D

Keep an eye on your figures - and get them out when nice and minty. Remember to be careful though that peroxide is still nasty!!

See you in a few days!!

WB
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:46:27 AM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 06:37:32 AM »
Ok the trooper has had a few days bubbling away in the chemical bath. Fish him out carefully to avoid getting the peroxide on you fingers and give him a dunk in some clear cool water, thn dry him off. You should be able to see a good difference in him...

Next step is the paint touch up - on a Stormie it should be fairly minor - other than the hands. I use humbrol acrylic paints...

Ok here we have the restored Trooper Doofer reporting for duty!!

And here's a comparison shot with an untreated, slightly yellowed trooper. I've noticed since cleaning Doofer up that at some point in his life he has had a run in with a puppy - he has the tell tale bite marks on his left foot!! In the next update we will look at reproduction cards and weapons. I'll also link to my trusted suppliers in case anyone else fancies restoring their cherished, but battered old toys!

All the best,
WB out!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
Wow, step by step. I like it.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
Yes, thanks for giving us the step by step process!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:11 AM »
I'm glad that you guys are still enjoying this thread! Whilst I wait for my card and other bits to arrive I thought that I would share an unexpected success with you...

As I've said countless times before, I'm a total Luke fanboy. All my childhood Luke figs are pretty worn and with the exception of my Luke Stormie & one Jedi Knight I've had to replace them all for my recarded collection.

My Farmboy Luke was really yellowed, loose limbed and had serious large scale paint rubs. I thought that he was only fit to remain hidden forever in a drawer. As I was bleaching Stormies, I thought "what the heck!" and whacked him in the jar too. I was pretty amazed at the result a few days later...

What you see below is a major restoration - all paint work has been majorly touched up or totally redone - including the hands, legs, belt, hair, throat and eyes! A hot wash followed by cold water limb compression has addressed the loose limbs. All he is missing is a replacement saber, which has been ordered. I think that he looks good enough to card!

As I've rediscovered a Imperial Troop Transporter head restraint I think that I'll display him with the vehicle and my imperial crew!!

WB out! :D

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 04:39:22 AM »
Ok guys here we go with the final
Section of my Vintage Stormtrooper Restoration Project...

My Resto-Kit from Spain has arrived, as has my reproduction blaster and we're ready to crack on!

As the kit is from Costablanca Star Wars it already has the double sided tape attached to the bubble, however I've needed to add tape to the footer and and stick it into the bubble

Check the positioning of any weapons or other goodies, I use 12back.com for this. As this is a first issue restoration the blaster shoul be in the Stormies hand. Next we place Doofer on the card and line everything up before removing the tape backing on the bubble. Then carefully lift the bubble and remove the tape backing...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:09:35 AM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:12 AM »
Now gently drop the bubble into the card, making sure that all taped edges touch the card at the same time!

Press the glued edges down with your finger at first, then use a rounded blunt item like a knife handle to ensure that the seal is tight and has no air bubbles!

Now Trooper Doofer is cleaned, restored and recarded! Your work is done.

Now you can sit back, have a glass of wine and enjoy the fruits of your labours!

Thanks for following my work here - I hope that you've enjoyed it and found it informative. Please remember though that restoration of your old toys can be rewarding but NEVER sell items like Trooper Doofer here as original - that's dishonest, illegal and immoral...  ;D

Thanks again, WB
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:11:01 AM by Wookie-Balls »