Author Topic: ISY's April Trash to Treasure Contest  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
ISY's April Trash to Treasure Contest
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »

With April showers comes...a new customizing event here at the Shipyards! We have had some great contest the last several months and we want to continue to challenge your creative processes this month. We bring you the April Trash to treasure contest. Basically you take items that would be thrown away and make something for your Star Wars Universe. From pudding cups to broken toys anything is game to make a droid, background fodder, a computer console, a vehicle or whatever your mind can dream up. The idea is to get you think outside the box on this one and use parts you never would have thought of...or maybe you have. We need to see atleast 1 pic when you decide what parts/trash you will be working with. Then as you assemble everything we would love to see WIP pictures and talk about the creation and share ideas.  When you are done with all mods and painting you can submit 5 pictures of your creation along with any 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figure for scale.When you post your entry pics, you must start that post with the words "THIS IS MY ENTRY" All competitors need to be registered members of the Shipyards. One entry only but if you have time to make something else for the fun of it go right ahead. Your entry has  to be new and not seen on any forum before. This contest starts April 14, 2011 and runs through May 8, 2011. At that time a new thread will be started for everyone to vote for the winner and in the event of a tie we will re vote for the top 2. Below are several examples of what would be acceptable.

Ghostskull18 made a cool speeder from the bottom of a computer mouse.

Hansfartknocker made this remote drone for his bounty hunter from an old Backyugon launcher. ( I am sure I murdered the spelling of this thing)

Hangarbay94 made this great display base for the Dark Child figures from a sushi tray.

I made this from a broken Blackout Transformer

The background walls for this diorama are made for styrofoam packaging all carved up other than the smooth areas. The the white troop sled is made from an old cassette drawer plus styrene and a razor case with a few bits. The green storage bin is an old computer hard disk storage case. The blue containers in the back are made from pudding cups and the green small bin is made from ear muffs.

This simple diorama was all made from leftovers and trash. The back wall and floor are foam board scraps, the tubes up the wall are made from napkin tubes covered in the protective cardboard you find with light bulb packaging. The flat part is covered with flourescent light bulb protective cardboard. In the foreground you can see all types of stuff that I don't throw away. The second photo is a little diorama I set up with a few customs.

So the winner can have his or her choice of either the above diorama with some background fodder but will not be exactly what you see in those pictures. Or you may choose my Diorama from the Cadets episode of the Clone Wars. Figures not included.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:23:22 AM by Luke Sprywalker »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: ISY's April Trash to Treasure Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:37:38 AM »
This sounds smokin L.E.! Daggone you have been coming up with some great contest ideas.

I can't wait to see what folks make. I really thought that cover from the electrical box made a great Wookie platform!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »
Thanks Tamer and I am going to kick this off with that build. I found a broken telephone interface box on my job site and with a quickness threw it in the back of my truck thinking I am going to make something out of this! When I got home I got the mud off, realized the door was not damaged and took it off. I flipped it over and thought...mobile battle platform. All I had to do was use my cutting tool on the dremel to remove a few pieces of plastic, grind away the excess and sand. Below is a photo of my trash.

In the next photo you can see where I had to dremel and sand away the plastic I didn't want.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »
Thats what that was, a phone box. I knew it was some type of electrical box.

Those are some daggone great prizes too, thanks for being willing to donate them L.E.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
hmmm interesting Idea.

once while working at the gas station I worked at during high school I took a block of wood that was used as a spacer in a cigar box display (the block of wood was about the size of large cigar, 1inch square by about 5-6 inches long) and carved an x-wing fuselage out of the block of wood...  then I attached parts of cigarette cartons to the back for wings and colored it using permanent markers from the office... all of this was done during a LONG LONG 12 hour double shift!  unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it but it hung in our office for a while since the manager was a star wars fan...  if you can imagine an x-wing with marlboro logos on the wings and a wooden fuselage that's basically what it amounted to! lol.

I'll have to keep my eyes out for some junk around the house that might be useful for this.

to be honest though I'm not really interested in the prizes here, it's not that they aren't awesome prize packages... it's just that I'd have NO WHERE to put them! lol  so if I participate it'll just be for the fun of it.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »
My wife already knows that something is up as I've been nosing around the recycling bin... you have a lot to answer for Master Sprywalker.....

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:17 AM »
mwahahahahahahahahahahaha

My wife will be *delighted* to see me doing something with all the "trash-bits" I've accumulated.  The kids are like cats - insanely, innately curious where motion of any kind is involved...

I bought a Joe vehicle on ebay a while back - it *specifically* stated "broken, good for parts only."  Now - we all know the definition of "broken" to a customizer is NOT that of a typical parent.  Sure the wheel-mounts were broken.  Otherwise, the chassis was in GREAT shape!  (and showed as such in the auction pics)  Since I bought it, technically I wouldn't throw it away, so I'm not real sure if it would count for this contest.  I'm thinking I need to start with something totally NOT toy-related on this one...

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »
This is gonna be a cool contest!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:16:32 PM by ghostskull18 »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
Ghost that is a great fix to your speeder but has been shown on the forums before. You have to create something new for this. You also have to show a pic of what you started with, the trash, this isn't really trash either.

Offline DeathStarDroid

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
    • http://www.deathstarplans2.net/
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
I might get in on this.. Ill be back later after I go dumpster diving. lol  EL

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
i'm gonna do this
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
Thought this was kinda funny, and fit, he's been sitting on my desk for some time, not really a custom, I just always thought of R5-D4 whenever I saw the bottle, so I put some legs on him, lol.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »
whose picture is that at the very top of the page?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
That, Ghost, is what LE made out of his Phone Box. Truly an amazing accomplishment.

This is a great contest and I can imagine that most of us has some sort of non toy based fodder that could become anything. Not that a toy would be out of the question to use, especially if it was someone's trash.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
That, Ghost, is what LE made out of his Phone Box. Truly an amazing accomplishment.

This is a great contest and I can imagine that most of us has some sort of non toy based fodder that could become anything. Not that a toy would be out of the question to use, especially if it was someone's trash.

it is amazing but who is LE ?  ???