Author Topic: How to Rig, Stage, and Shoot Your photos Professionally!  (Read 2275 times)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
How to Rig, Stage, and Shoot Your photos Professionally!
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
Hey there custom makers! having poured over tons of your hard work and awesome and very imaginative works I have noticed that not everyone knows how to get the best possible quality image from their cameras. As collectors and artists we want our figures to stand out and pop! Not fade into the background or be too dark or blurry. A great photo can make a mediocre figure look amazing. I know some of you out there also take amazing photos with tons of photo shop work and digital enhancements which look awesome!

Now this is a very simple, easy to do at home, way to get professional shots without having to be a photographer or own a photo studio.

First start with a solid background. Either fold a large piece of material such as metal or paper (at least 12 inches wide and 24 inches long) so that there is no crease. Affix one end to a flat surface, this becomes the floor of your studio for your figures and vehicles to stand on, and then affix the opposite end to a sturdy support so that it forms a loose 90 degree angle. There should be a continuous flow in the material and no creases or hard edged folds. This creates a vanishing effect from your foreground to your midground to your background which fools the eye into thinking your figure is almost suspended in space. Next grab a roll of tinfoil and some lights. Small table lamps, goose-necked desk lamps, clip on "hot-lamps" and even flashlights work. Cut squares of tinfoil (the smoother the better) into 12"x12" lengths and place at angles around your stage at varying heights and angles to bounce more light onto your subject(s). To form another great background you can even just cut two lengths of the same material (metal, paper, etc.) and make a 90 degree or 85-75 degree angle using supports and a flat surface and get much the similar effect. This is what I have done. Simply created an angle with 2 separate pieces of aluminum sheeting to make a nearly invisible seam between the two pieces.

Remember to think simple. Large sheets of cheap sandpaper can be laid on the stage floor to look like sand, add bits from your collection such as vehicle parts, droid parts, engines, boxes, etc. to form a more complete environment. Clip another piece of sandpaper to the backdrop for a "lost in the never ending desert" feeling.

Another great place to pick up props for cheap is the pet store. In the aquarium/terrarium aisle there are all sorts of interesting fake trees and rocks and logs and such, perfect for creating simple environments and other worldly flora and fauna.

having trouble getting a figure to stand up? try a little ball of blue fun tack on the bottom of the figure's feet. This also works for hanging props, or getting them to stand and hold a detailed position for a while.

Even powdered sugar or flower sprinkled around can resemble dusted snow. Get creative and play around. Learn how to "fool the eye" with tons of other staging tricks.

also if your climate allows for snow, an overcast day in the snow can render some amazing photos of Hoth battles and other great stuff!

I have attached some photos of the home made rig that i cobbled together in under 30 minutes. Used: Sheet aluminum, duct tape, fun tack, 2 free weights, 2 comic book box lids and some average size TV tables.

Also, despite trying to be froogle the kind of camera and lens you have matters. i shoot with a pretty good professional grade tripod by Sunpak, and a Nikon 3000, with a decent Nikkor 55-200 tight focus manual zoom lens with auto focus. (Camera available at walmart for about $650 lens for $250) The better the lens and camera the higher you can push your quality. Also photo shop isn't necessary! While it's great for effects and digital fixes and cool things like that, a bare bones basic photo editing program like Microsoft Office Picture Manager can be all you need to adjust contrast, color, and brightness and darkness. I use it all the time to touch up my photos. Remember: high contrast, and high detail will make your images pop. But even if you only have a cell phone camera, these tips and tricks will improve your quality.

If you're using the right amount of lighting, don't worry about your flash. Turn it off and shoot on a tri-pod and/or with a timer. Your flash will wash out your dynamic lighting set up and wipe out any dramatic shadows or lighting you might like. It'll add too much light and Star Wars figures, most of them, do well in some shadows. Also Cropping is key! Don't want your messy house or ugly drapes in the photo? Crop it down and bring the focus in tight on your subject and the background props you've created.

If you have any suggestions, comments, or questions feel free to post them!

Hope this helps a bit!

First image: Our stage with flash. Everything is washed out and in bright focus. Looks great for portraits of people and other things, but check the next image without flash with nice dynamic lighting and shadows--much better for Jabba's palace.

the third image is of the actual set up i have now for my photos.

Thanks for viewing and be sure to tune in to Action Figure Empire for more figures, photos, and reviews! http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:52:05 PM by ActionFigEmpire »

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: How to Rig, Stage, and Shoot Your photos Professionally!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »
Absolutely awesome advice and input here.

I might move this to references and resources, but please keep adding to this thread.

Please also be advised folks that if you pics are blurry to too hard for me to make out that is perhaps the reason your custom may not have shown up on the front page.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
Fantastic post and very informative, hopefully members will take note and we'll see a raft of professional looking images popping up on the forums....

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
I just had a MARVELOUS idea!!
(why is everyone diving for cover??)

AFE can run a new feature here - "Pimp My Photo"!!  Yeah, so on a regular schedule, readers/viewers submit a pic they took and get AFE to critique it, making suggestions on what can be done for the given shot to improve it.

Great idea = useful results + someone else doing all the work
 8)
;D

All joking aside - I've been reading DSD's show-strips this afternoon - AFE, if you were willing to take on such a project, I think it would be a great service to our customizing community.  Oh, even more crazy - if we could get another couple of folks who have *great* photography skills to kinda sit as a "panel of judges" like on Star Search.  I've got some ideas for handling the logistics of it all, if we have photographers who want to tackle this...

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Hey so glad you guys like my first little tutorial. Remember we're all learning together here. Hmm for all my tech-savvy-ness for some reason I seem to not be able to navigate the forums best. I'm going to cross post this into that new forum Tamer has mentioned and we can pick it up over there.

@Tamer: Thanks! I love helping people get the best photos they can. Usually it's the matter of a little photo-know-how and a bit of practice. I will indeed keep adding to this thread :)

@hangarbay94: Thank you! Glad you liked the tips! I hope people will see this and start to use the suggestions. There's nothing more fun than getting that shot that makes you double-take and go "wait--is that from the movies? or a 501st memeber?" that picture that blurs the lines between toys and surrealism. Where the the image gives real depth, weight, and realism to the figure.

@Doc: That's a great idea! Not sure if people want me to judge their work. I can be very honest ;) but I have noticed lots and lots of off kilter, badly framed, very broad focus (as in here's the diorama and what's next to it, and that case of beer you're working on, and your pile of laundry, and your stereo, etc.), photos taken too close with too much flash, very flat images of cool looking things that when flattened look cheap, or paint that's applied too thickly--the flash makes it look gunky and dirty. So yes there are some people out there with some great work/figures that now need the photos worked on. Maybe you could start the thread, have people submit their photos as kind of like "please tell me what I'm doing wrong with this!" and I'll write responses to them and help them out?

Ok now for the next tip: Digital Zoom versus manual/regular zoom. You might be saying: "What difference? They both say zoom!" Or "That's easy! One's obviously on digital cameras and the other's on film cameras!" Good guesses, but not so. Digital zoom is a standard feature on most any basic digital camera. It's dded to most digital cameras as a selling point. However it's not going to be your friend. Sorry. When you zoom with your camera, assuming you have a zoom button or rocker dial for your zoom that extends or retracts your lens and a bar on the screen fills and empties when you push "+" or "-" ("far" and "near") you might see that there's a bit more of the zoom indicator bar and if you continue to push the zoom increase button it begins to zoom even more. This is your digital zoom. Most cameras have a 10x or 20x or even a 100x digital zoom. This is not the same as a regular zoom. While it does pull your frame of focus in closer, and makes far objects seem closer it does this by sacrificing image quality. While it's ok if say you're photographing the sky, or a field of wheat--the image quality deterioration won't necessarily be as noticeable as when you're tightly focused on a bird you want to capture from a distance but not scare off. If your file is going to be viewed small, for instance as a thumbnail or a profile avatar that's fine. If you're photographing your new custom Jawa or Ewok (a smaller figure) you don't want to use digital zoom. And you'd probably want to get at least a couple feet away from it (maybe 4 at the least). You should notice with your digital zoom that things get fuzy looking. Like watching an old VHS on an old TV. Regular zoom won't give you so much image deterioration and will work better. Play with distance. Obviously if your lens is touching your figure you're way too close and if you can see your whole room in the photo and your figure is a tiny dot next to your cat you're too far.

The best kind of zoom is manual. It puts you in control. If that's too much control, then opt for a zoom lens with both manual and auto focus modes. bring your manual focus in so that your subject is clear by twisting your lens clockwise or counterclockwise (depending on if it's too zoomed or not zoomed enough) then depress your shutter button without triggering a shot and your camera will auto-correct and compensate for any out-of-focuss-ness you might have that you can't see. once it auto-corrects shoot the frame. Or do the same process, key for a timed exposure, tightly focus and allow or auto-correcting and then shoot the frame. The timer will count down. Remove your hands from the camera and step back and stand still.  You'll get a perfect crystal-clear frame every time.

Electronically powered zooms (they do all the moving and focusing with the push of a button) are of lower quality almost always. Doesn't mean you'll shoot a bad photo or that you have to run out and buy a million dollar camera. This just means if you want the highest quality image you will want to treat yourself to a manually operated zoom lens with auto focus features. Trust me, you and your figures will thank you for getting it :)

"For the Empire!"

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire

"For the Empire!"

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:30:14 AM »
Mate great little tutorial, I got a lot of ideas thank you.

Ron

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »
My pleasure Hemble! Going to be taking more photos today. Gotta get to the pet store soon to grab some "Ewok friendly" props and transform the stage into a forest moon! Hopefully after today's shoot I'll have more tips and tricks to share.

"For the Empire!"