Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 36838 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:39:15 AM »
Announcing the Imperial Shipyards  BUILD YOUR OWN MINI RIG Contest

A lot of us here at the Shipyards fondly remember the old Kenner mini-rig toys that were introduced into the Star Wars toy line many moons ago. It seems that here lately, Hasbro has released some vehicles that are smaller and seem to give a nod to that popular line of old.

We want to commemorate this trend by placing this challenge to you Yarders: Can you build the best Mini-Rig?

The rules are simple: Using parts, found junk, fodder, or an existing vehicle from any line, build a vehicle that is less than 12 inches long suited for a 3 3/4 scale figure that would fit in the Star Wars universe. Vehicle may be themed to be wheeled, tracked, floating, flying, diving "in water", or walking. Vehicle must at least be repainted and must be able to carry at least one 3 3/4 Star Wars "or Star Wars themed " figure. Figure does not have to be a custom but must be shown riding said vehicle in at least one of a max of 3-5 entry pics posted in this thread prior to the contest's completion date. When you post your entry pics, you must start that post with the words "THIS IS MY ENTRY"
All competitors need to be registered members of the Shipyards.

This mini rig must be an entirely new custom vehicle built for this contest and can't have been posted here at the Shipyards or anywhere else in the past.

Only 1 entry per member this time, folks. You may post wip pics and commentary in this thread and we encourage you to shoot ideas back and forth as far as what you are working on.This contest will last for 30 days starting today 05 March to end at 12:00 CST on the 4th of April.  After completion of this contest, a voting thread will be created where all members will be able to vote for their favorite mini rig for 1 week. After the poll for voting closes, there will be a prize awarded for the 1st  place winner. In the event of a tie for 1st place, a tie breaker thread will be created to choose the winner of the tie. No cheating or vote padding will be allowed.

Want to know what you are playing for?

1st place prize
The one of a kind Hangarbay94 custom vehicle featured in the hit X-Wing Alliance Series Rancor Squadron ARC-170 Intruder!

I don't know about you Yarders but I think that is a prize definitely worth playing for so get together your tools and vehicle fodder and may the best mini-rig win!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:33:28 AM by Tamer »

Offline Rustyscustoms

• RustysCustoms
  • Commander
  • and im like forget you
    • RustysCustoms
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
Wow ive never done anything like this before, interesting I dnt know where to start lol. though ill try my best as that prize is pretty awesone indeed. :)

Offline beast from the east

• Lieutenant
  • I am Merman
    • My websites
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
I haven't tried a cusom vehicle before so this will be different.

Offline JLaban4

• Commodore
  • The only good lizard, is a dead lizard.
    • Follow this link to see my customs and other videos
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
Well I've never done a custom vehicle before, I've planned some but haven't done one, but looks like I've got a month to get one done.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
Hats off the the Mods here for getting this organized so well. Wow that is some prize! Thanks for donating that Jules! A chance to own your very own piece of X-Wing Alliance!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Looks like everyone is gearing up for another great community and skill building event. I am glad to see some that have never modded a vehicle are eager to try, let me tell you it is not that hard and loads of fun in the end. With the subject being small vehicles it should help the new comers. I guess the other reason I am excited is I pick up tons of small vehicles from discount stores and even thrift stores. So I may be doing a few of these for fun/inspiration to help everyone with ideas. I picked up the white vehicle on top of the shelf at Salvation Army for 15 cents. Sorry but this is my only WIP pic.

WIP

I removed the front wings, added some battle damage on one side, added gun mounts in the back and gave her a flat black primer coat. Then  sprayed it with a rusty brown letting some black show thru as I wanted. That was followed by this nice sandy tan color as the outer layer. Next I like to seal the parts with Krylon Flat sealer. It got 1 light black wash, some silver drybrushing in strategic areas then I used a bit of black on a bruch to detail the center of the battle damage. Here she is at just under 3.5 inches long!

Introducing the LPS - Little People Skiff

As you can now see the back opens for storage and so he can work on the small engine needed to lift this light weight.  All I did was heat the area up with a heat gun and cut it out with a very sharp razor knife with a metal handle, not a plastic one, DANGER! I left just a bit of plastic connected at the end to act as a hinge. It does not stay open very wide because of this but it was the best/easiest/effective enough answer for me. For a final touch I added a critter bed on the back for the one he picked up along the way. Now I know what you are saying Luke Sprywalker that single person skiff has no stearing yoke! Well the crafty owner of said skiff has modified it to be controled by the hand held device he is holding.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:52:13 PM by Luke Sprywalker »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
Wow L.E. that looks great! I would love to use one of your pics to make us a better Mini Rig Contest Graphic as I just used a canned google old Kenner Mini Rig shot for the announcement on the front page!

I think I may be going to Goodwill tomorrow. I want to find something I can use to mount an EWeb blaster and use my gunner I made from the last contest. Ok, I think I am gonna do this one too!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »
LE, that's one hell of a start...I think I'll need to change my pants now!!! ;D

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
i guess we can't repaint any sw mini-rig ? just scratch build or other toy lines right ? i may do a small underwater or air one man propeller

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »
Beige 4 you can do any combination of what you have listed above. We would like to see more than a repaint though. Like adding some weaponry or something like that.

Jules, thanks buddy.

Tamer it is great to hear you will be getting in on this one. If you end up shorthanded on fodder let me know and I'll send you a picture of what is in my vehicle bin.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
THIS IS MY ENTRY

space crawler, made from the bottom of an old computer mouse

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:55:28 PM by ghostskull18 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
Well now Ghostskull that is a good looking mini-rig.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
That is an awesome mini rig GS! It will have to serve as inspiration for this contest though, all entries have to be new vehicles made for this contest. I commented at your vehicle thread but will say again here I love your crawler! Recycling the old computer mouse is a great idea and all of your mods look great! Now get back in there and create another awesome trash to treasure mini rig to blow us all away!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
Aha, I thought I had seen that somewhere! Remember folks this has to be an entirely new creation not seen here before or anywhere else.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
I'm not much of a vehicle modifier and don't really have the parts to do so anyway right now.  I'm content just watching everyone's work take shape.  Looking  forward to seeing some great new stuff!

GhostSkull -- Great job on your rig!  I really like your stuff and the variety of parts you try to use in the process.

Sprywalker -- It's good to see the galaxy looking out for the little people!  Great execution--nice touch with the ysalamiri sticking its head out the window!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!