Author Topic: Stormtrooper 12" Exclusive  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Stormtrooper 12" Exclusive
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
Here's my review of the 12" Exclusive Stormtrooper from Sideshow Collectibles...

Paint looks great, some nice details.  Only problem was, they made the boots look dirty, the rest of the armor clean...

Accessories are short and sweet!  Not a bunch of crap that's unnecessary

Display looks great!  I am a lot happier with this one than I thought I might be.  Their first fully armored form, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Stormtrooper 12" Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:44:19 AM »
looks awesome Pat. I like the new guide too. Man, I wish I had your photo editing skills!

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:59:15 AM »
The SS stormie is a cool figure indeed. It has it's pros and cons but I'm glad I got mine
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
It looks pretty cool. :o

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »
I like mine too; but the figure has it's problems.  The first thing I did was reshape the chest armor so it didn't look so bloated.  Plus, mine had some really loose joints that annoyed me.  I was able to tighten them up a bit. 

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »
B.R., you'll have to post some tutorials on that.  Those are some of the biggest complaints I've heard on this one, and lately I've seen more 12" figs with loose joints than not.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
B.R., you'll have to post some tutorials on that.  Those are some of the biggest complaints I've heard on this one, and lately I've seen more 12" figs with loose joints than not.

My biggest priority in tightening joints, aside from tighter joints of course, was to be able to recover what was original if I wanted to do so.  This meant I wasn't going to be drilling additional holes, adding screws, or anything of the like.  This also meant that the super glue option some people use wasn't practical either.  After I'd removed the body glove of the trooper I noticed the offending joints generally had wider gaps, or more give, between the pieces that make up the joint.  I ended up cutting and shaping aluminum pieces from pop cans and shoved them in the gaps thus adding surface friction between the joint pieces that the original joint lacked.  I made the size of the aluminum offsets small enough such that, once placed, their edges wouldn't come in contact with the body glove.  I found the dull side of a scalpel blade worked pretty well at pushing the aluminum pieces in place.  Depending on the severity of looseness in the joint, more than one piece of aluminum, stacked one on top of another, may be required to "fill" the joint.  This method allowed enough strength to tighten a knee joint to the point where my Stormtrooper can now stand, unassisted, on his own, whereas before he'd topple over like a rag doll.